Hard to hold my active little guy! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2011, 04:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hard to hold my active little guy!

Hey all! I am new to both hedgehogs and the forums here I've spent hours reading through, and have learned a lot!

My question might have been answered but as I've been sifting through, I notice most people just have issue with their little guys curling up into a ball. So onward we go to my question...!

I've only had my little guy for a few days now, but I'm trying to make sure to hold him for at least a few minutes a day because I want to bond with him and get him used to it! My problem is that he's such an active little explorer that he just doesn't seem to want to be picked up or held. When I go in to scoop him up, he just darts away. If I DO get him in my hands, he doesn't sit still and starts to try to run around. (I must also admit that since I'm a new hedgie owner, I'm still a liiiiittle intimidated by his quills .

I don't mind that he's so active, I love that he's an explorer! But I want to make sure we are bonding. I don't know how to be able to hold him while he's so ready to just go go go. He even does this when I wake him up during the day in the middle of sleep time. The minute hands or outside of his cage are involved, he wants nothing to do with being held and just wants to go explore. I try to get him to just explore *on* me, where I'll let him run around and then pick him up and put him back on me when he starts to leave but this brings me back to the whole "he darts away when I go to scoop him up." So mostly he just ends up running around my room.

Any advice or suggestions to be able to bond a bit more?
KittyPryde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2011, 04:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Breeders

Default Re: Hard to hold my active little guy!

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your hog! A bonding bag/snuggle sack/something to hide in or under will help settle him down while he's on your lap.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Keep doing what your doing have a hedgie bag of fleece blanket he can snuggle into he sounds like an explorer and that's perfectly normal you can still bond with them but they will want to explore their surroundings and all there is to smell as well

Some hedgies may want to move and get away not all of them want much to do with their owners its up to them if you're in the way or if you're alright after all, its hard to fight those exploratory nature'd ones, they're fearless and have no time for sitting still

As I said keep getting him out and playing with him, If you have the space and can enclose it around you, lay down and read a book and let your hedgehog wonder around about you as you read
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 05:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

You can try walking around with him on your arm kinda holding him/the arm to you almost like its in a sling. That will allow him to bury his head in the bend of your arm and make him feel safe yet prevent him from falling and running. Or try laying in front of a play pen with the doors open so he can run around in there and he will eventually keep running back to you to check you out and may even come cuddle when he's tired. Also try (after potty time) putting him inside of a hoodie pocket while you are wearing it and just go about your normal activities he will feel safe and warm and will lay down after a bit, but you may have to gently hold it against you at first so he doesn't run right out the ends lol. You can also try putting him in a snuggle sack or fleece blanket afer he is done playing and then let him chill on you once he's wore himself out (this could be hours so stimulation while he is out is key, make him really work to wear himself out (hunt crickets, put his wheel in his play pen, lots of toys and tunnels)).
shawnwk1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for all the advice, everyone! Much appreciated.

Ive tried to get him to snuggle into shirts before but he's still ~mister active~. I bet a hedgie bag would help though! He looooves being under stuff, so I bet a more enclosed space might get him to calm down. I think I'll make one today I also love that sweatshirt idea!

So excited to bondddd with my little guyyyy
KittyPryde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2011, 06:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Another thing you can try is letting him play in a play pen or even setting him up in the bath tub with some live crickets. Give him an hour or two to run around and run off some of his energy, and then maybe he will be tired out enough to relax in a snuggle bag on your lap. Keep in mind, though, that some hedgehogs are just go-go-go all the time and that's what they like, whereas others are perfectly content to snuggle. They have a lot of personality and aren't afraid to do what they want My Milly is a mix of explorer and cuddler - she roams around for half an hour or so, and when she tries to burrow under my leg to go to sleep, I know she's ready for her snuggle bag. If I try to force her to cuddle when she's not ready, she gets irritated haha.

Also, sometimes it can be difficult to tell with hedgies when they are being active or when they are nervous/scared. It took a couple months with Milly for me to start learning what she does when she is nervous (visor quills partially up, looking around semi-frantically for a place to hide) and what she does when she is exploring (sniffing the air a lot, nosing around her fleece, sniffing the ground, crawling over things rather than trying to hide under them, etc).

Good luck with your quilled friend! I hope he settles down a bit so you are able to spend some quality time with him and show him you are friend, not foe.

This message was brought to you by Mildred the Hedgehog's slave, Hannah! ^.^
hanhan27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2011, 09:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Lillian will run around trying to find a place to burrow, which usually means my pillow. Once I put her in a snuggle bag, she goes right to sleep.

Daleo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2011, 03:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

What works for me ...

a full tummy and some exercise or play. After that, she's ready to snooze.

Once in awhile, a warm bath helps too.

Also, they calm down a bit when they get older. (Some of them )

RIP my dear Nara 7/2/10---1/6/15. Mommy will always love you.
MomLady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2011, 04:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

My little guy is the same way lol I cant even put him in a blanket to lay on me cause he wants to take off as soon as hes taken out of the cage
3dgsuperfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in