Does any one have pet insurance? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Artemis
  • 1 Post By Kalibrown91

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2015, 09:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Does any one have pet insurance?

I just need some opinions I got a hedgie last year in the spring and it passed away at only 6months. I feel so guilty bc he was my first one and if I had known more I might have caught the lump sooner but I was told it was probably his testicles and unless he had other symptoms it would be pointless to take him. When he started acting sluggish and not eating I took him to the vet and he had some kind of tumor he done X-rays but couldn't tell what it was I was supposed to syringe feed him and water him and put him on antibiotics for a week and bring him back then or if he got worse. He started acting better immediately but passed away 2 days later.
It cost me several hundred dollars and then I lost him. I didn't care obviously he was my baby but now that I have a new one I was thinking of getting an insurance so it would be such I big deal to take him to the vet. I've heard it even covers a yearly check up. Anyone have experience with pet insurance? Is it worth it? I would love to not be so worried everytime Pippin sneezes or sleeps more or don't finish his food.
Kalibrown91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2015, 05:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Several people have VPI and really like it so far. I'm planning to call after Christmas is over to get Bindi covered. From what people have said so far, it costs $80/year to cover a hedgehog and it covers quite a few things. However, I don't think wellness exams are covered, though I could be remembering wrong. Your best bet is to call & talk to a representative to discuss prices & coverage options.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2015, 06:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

My insurance kicked in today. It costs $9 a month, they cover pretty much anything, injuries, illness, cancer. It does not cover wellness visits.

$50 deductible and after that they pay Up to 90%. Max. $2,000 per visit up to $7,000 per year.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 06:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks I'll look up vpi!
what kind did you have Artemis?
Crowley is loved likes this.
Kalibrown91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2015, 07:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Anyone in Canada found hedgehog insurance yet??
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2015, 10:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
My insurance kicked in today. It costs $9 a month, they cover pretty much anything, injuries, illness, cancer. It does not cover wellness visits.

$50 deductible and after that they pay Up to 90%. Max. $2,000 per visit up to $7,000 per year.
after the UTI sadness with Crowley just weeks ago iv been thinking about it too. love her and it was totally worth the piece of mind that she was getting better not worse and would take her back in a heartbeat but drained my savings quick for just 3 visits.

i'd be very interested in what one you use or any suggestions people can make.

she would just need at least one yearly check up for sure and something to help cover any emergency tests. hopefully something in the Wi area for under or around $70?
Crowley is loved is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2015, 11:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalibrown91 View Post
Thanks I'll look up vpi!
what kind did you have Artemis?
For hedgehogs they have one plan only.
If you pay in full, it's only $80 or $84
Old 12-23-2015, 11:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley is loved View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

after the UTI sadness with Crowley just weeks ago iv been thinking about it too. love her and it was totally worth the piece of mind that she was getting better not worse and would take her back in a heartbeat but drained my savings quick for just 3 visits.

i'd be very interested in what one you use or any suggestions people can make.

she would just need at least one yearly check up for sure and something to help cover any emergency tests. hopefully something in the Wi area for under or around $70?

VPI is nationwide, call them. They were very nice on the phone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in