Hedgehog Central banner

Questions from a soon to be mummy of a hedgie:)

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Holly.Kinz 
#1 ·
Hi guys! I'm about to get my new hedgie in 2 weeks. I'm starting to prepare for it's arrival and have a few questions to ask:

1) The weather where I am is hot and humid since I'm from Asia. Should I use fleece or flannel for liners? Would it be too hot for my hedgie?

2) How much food should I feed him?

3) I was thinking of sewing snuggle sacks and stuff like that for him, especially since it's really hard for me to get them from around here. However when you guys say that it should have no seams does that mean that no thread should be seen? Or can I just sew them tightly?

Also, I'm trying to think of a name:) Any ideas?

#2 ·
1) I'd say use flannel. It's less hot, but it can be warm when it gets colder (if it rains, etc). Or you can use fine woven cotton, I think.

2) Most people here free feed their hedgehogs. That means that they have access to food and water 24/7.

3) No thread should be accessible by the hedgehog. They can get their nails stuck in them~

#3 ·
i agree with free feeding. he/she should have food and water at all times with it being replaced with fresh food and water every day. i personally use fleece just because i've found it's less likely to have any thread issues later on after washing and whatnot, but maybe that's just my sewing lol. it should be seamless so they can't get their nails caught and rip one off or amputate a leg or break one. as far as a name you didn't say if it was a male or female, but i think that a name will come to you once you have your little one and can see his/her personality.

#4 ·
Thanks for both your help. I think I'd still prefer fleece over flannel since flannel has more risk for the hedgie. Unless there are other materials I can use?

And I still don't get the seamless part. I'm a bit slow on that haha. But if it's meant to be seamless that means no thread should be visible right? Is there a way of sewing that would hide the thread? Because sewing would typically mean threads involved.

#5 ·
spashlove said:
Thanks for both your help. I think I'd still prefer fleece over flannel since flannel has more risk for the hedgie. Unless there are other materials I can use?

And I still don't get the seamless part. I'm a bit slow on that haha. But if it's meant to be seamless that means no thread should be visible right? Is there a way of sewing that would hide the thread? Because sewing would typically mean threads involved.
There is absolutely no risk using flannel as long as the fabric has been sewn into liners. Fleece does not require any sewing because the threads don't unravel. Many breeders also use flannel on this forum.

From my knowledge there is a way of sewing it so that you can hide the seams... but I don't know that much about sewing :lol: But I'd imagine there would be two layers, the outer layer having the seams facing inwards, in the inner layer having the seams face outward so that inside the sack itself there is no loose thread.

#6 ·
Flannel when sewn properly has less risk than fleece. You could also use cotton, denim, corduroy or any tight woven fabric.

You want to sew it so all seams are hidden. If you are making bags, whether the bag is on the outside, or inside out, there can't be any seams showing. It's the seams that are dangerous, not the actual fabric.

#8 ·
spashlove said:
Thanks for all the help. I'll start practicing my sewing skills now. Hopefully I'll learn quick enough. There's so much to sew!! Liners, bags, hats etc. Ahhh!!
Congrats on becoming a new hedgie Mommy to be! :D
I read that you were unsure about the snuggle bag.. I make them, and what I do is unfold the whole piece of fabric (if you got the fabric from a store) than I make my own fold so I'm saving fabric, and I'm just sewing two sides instead of three. When I'm done sewing it, I don't flip it the right way, I just leave it so the stitchs are showing on the outside. I hope that helped if you were still unsure :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.