few things im unsure of.... - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2011, 01:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation few things im unsure of....

We have had our hedgie a few months... at first he came around quickly, and then life got a little hectic, and he didnt get as much time as he deserved. We are back to trying to get him to like us again, and since finding this forum, his life has greatly improved thanks yall!

We ditched the bedding, for fleece liners. We ditched the commercial hedgie food, for some goodies you all amazing people recommend... We replaced a few toys with holes for safe ones.

He loved his food so much, after he took his first bite, he anointed with it!(first time i've seen him do that!)

I bought him some live meal worms, and some crickets. I am super grossed out by crickets, so... they immediately went in the freezer. He hasn't had crickets to my knowledge, the pet store didn't supplement with anything, freeze dried mealies were in the commercial food they fed. ( i know, i know, but i couldn't find a SINGLE breeder anywhere near me, or rescue for that matter)

He wont touch the mealies(also disgust me beyond reason) or the crickets. When he is smelling around, it's like he doesnt even notice they are there. He wont eat carrots, or lettuce. Next time I make chicken, I will see if he is interested. Im going to can 16lbs of apples in a few days, will see how he likes em(: can he have peels?
(what a long winded question, eh?)

Does he need supplements if he wont eat anything other than the food? I ordered some canned mealies, those don't creep me out, or make me get all paranoid that there are beetles in my fridge... Im hoping he will give them a shot.

also, any hinters on litterbox training? Im waiting on his box to come in.
He pretty much despises me, lol. He won't tolerate me speaking to him, or walking by him, or even walking down the hall past his bedroom. I thought maybe if I could show him that hanging out with me meant treats, but the kid doesnt like treats! any advice?
last night he was really chill just sitting in my lap, soaking up the warmth from the laptop(:

If you read all of this, many thanks. I know its long, and I'll warn ya, most of my posts will be (: I am so glad to be a part of this forum!
baberfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2011, 02:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: few things im unsure of....

Glad to hear you've given a hedgie a good home

Some don't take to insects but keep trying some take awhile to figure it out my one girl Feral took a month to taste them even spit them out a few times now she goes nuts for them.

A lot of people recommend cut their guts open and try rubbing it on their mouths nose area and they might realize its food.

Fruits and veggies can take a lot of introductions so try many days to see if they will try them

Does your hedgehog have a wheel? They really need the exercise and love to run and a good solid wheel is very important to their health and happiness.

Just interact with your hedgehog daily even if they just sleep on/near you they are getting the sense you are no danger to them
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2011, 02:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for your reply! Yes, he has a wheel, and he is a wheeling maniac (: Last night i cleaned his cage out, and had his wheel soaking in the sink... when I put him back in the cage I hadnt dried it yet, and he was mighty upset it was missing
I will keep on trying with the buggies, I prefer dead over alive, but maybe he will come around the the mealies that wiggle.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baberfly
Thanks for your reply! Yes, he has a wheel, and he is a wheeling maniac (: Last night i cleaned his cage out, and had his wheel soaking in the sink... when I put him back in the cage I hadnt dried it yet, and he was mighty upset it was missing
I will keep on trying with the buggies, I prefer dead over alive, but maybe he will come around the the mealies that wiggle.
Just a suggestion and you'll get the idea if you visit my youtube channel for a video, all three of mine get time in the bath tub with live crickets they are gross creatures but man once your hedgie gets the hang of it they really go to town a few others hear have said their hedgies even purr when they do it.

If you can convince your hedgie that crickets are food and he thinks they are delicious it might like the idea and it might stimulate his senses

If you haven't found it we do have a list of safe fruits and veggies if you search "fruit and veggie list" you should find a link from one or many topics
Old 09-30-2011, 03:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Also, this might be obvious to a fellow bug-hater, but: picking up the mealies with something other than my fingers really helped me get over the grossness. I use chopsticks, and I've heard of people using tweezers as well. And if it reassures you any, I've never had any mealies make it to beetle stage while being kept in the fridge.

Some hedgies also really like baby food as a treat. My guy isn't a huge fan, but a lot of people here have had success with it, even in picky hedgies. It's a good way to sneak in some healthy stuff, if they'll go for it. Some popular flavors are chicken, turkey, sweet potato, and peas.

I've never had much success with litterbox training, so I don't have much to offer there. Most people will move some poops over to the litterbox and hope their hedgie catches on. Some do, some don't. The great thing about liners is, they're super easy to spot clean! Good luck!

cylaura is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2011, 02:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

thank you all so much for your info! We will try it in the tub, and see what he thinks. I, too, refuse to touch the mealies, haha! they get scooped up with a fork, i definitely do not want to feel them crunch under tweezers! eek!

Thank you for the veggie and fruit list! it will be so helpful! I'm also going to give baby food a try, although im hesitant, because I cant even get him to sample wet food!
Old 10-02-2011, 02:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hedgies can take awhile to try new things it can take a lot of leaving a fruit or steamed veggie in their home for days or even weeks before they nom it and other ones they will jumpon they are silly creatures
Old 10-02-2011, 02:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

You can try putting on or two mealworms in with his food, sometimes that gives them the idea that yes they are food and not just roommates...lol.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2011, 08:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki
You can try putting on or two mealworms in with his food, sometimes that gives them the idea that yes they are food and not just roommates...lol.
Now I have an image of a hedgie keeping a mealworm as a pet... "But...but why would I want to eat him? He's my FRIEND! D:"

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2011, 04:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

bahahaahah! oh my! maybe my hedgie needs a pet

He has been getting a fresh frozen cricket in his food nightly and he eats allllll the way around it. lol!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in