New hedgie mommy! Question about heating - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2011, 01:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New hedgie mommy! Question about heating

Hi everyone! I was a big reader of these forums before I got my new baby boy, Dabney but I still have a few questions. I was wondering what you guys have used as heat sources, it's getting cold but my heat won't turn on for another month or so and my room won't get above 68 degrees. I got a 60 watt heat lamp to use for now and it's been keeping Dabney's cage around 75 degrees, but I've heard that they can overheat. I'm also getting a microwaveable heating pad to put under his cage for night (since the heat lamp emits light and I want Dabney to be able to get up and move around). Any input would help!
Leulla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2011, 01:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: New hedgie mommy! Question about heating

You want a Ceramic Heat Emitter bulb hooked into a thermostat and fast

The microwave thing is kinda pointless at night because a hedgie is up and wanting to roam eat, run in the wheel, etc

The disc will only keep that area warm which might also keep your hedgie in that area more dormant
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2011, 01:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you. I will get a Ceramic Heat Emitter bulb ASAP!
Leulla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 01:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

You'll need a thermostat hooked to the CHE and a thermometer to double check it. If the 60 watt bulb doesn't do it I know there is a lot of ppl that go with the 100 watt one. What size diameter is the lamp part? The heat pad and disc won't heat the air which could cause them to catch a chill from the temperature difference when leaving the house, it may keep them from being active all night as well. If you find yourself in a situation where you need a quick fix before the pieces get there you can always run and get a small space heater. I heat the whole room for my two and I only say because they run constantly and I haven't had a problem with overheating. The new ones now a day don't even get hot to the touch and if they tip it cuts the circuit and they shut off, just double check to make sure those safety functions are listed if you get one. The good thing too about the space heater is you will have a portable heating device if you ever have to travel with them and set up temp housing, you could always get the disc for emergency heating if you wanted though
Old 09-26-2011, 01:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

-sorry about that we must have been writing at the same time, I wrote before seeing your post

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in