I just wanted to introduce myself! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2011, 09:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation I just wanted to introduce myself!

Hi! I don't have a hedgehog yet, but I wanted to just introduce myself for now! I'm new to the forums, but from what I can tell it's a really great group. You all seem like genuinely good people who really care a lot about hedgehogs and animals in general. I'm amazed at how many of you go out of your way to make your hedgie happy and healthy. It's great!
I have a quick question though, for those of you that sew your own liners, do you use that cotton batting stuff on the inside? How many layers of fabric do you usually use? Thanks guys!
Kickitat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2011, 09:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: I just wanted to introduce myself!

Curious... you didn't happen to be active on NarutoFan Forums, did you? If not, where did you get your name?
Hoshi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2011, 10:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

i don't sew my own, but i believe most people just use fleece as its soft, warm, comfortable for them and they can't get their little feet caught which can cause severe injury to the foot and leg if it happens. welcome to the forum
shawnwk1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 10:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

When I sew mine I usually do a few different things. Some of my fleece ones I just cut to size but other times if I want a thicker one I will either some of the following fleece/fleece liner, fleece/flannel, or flannel/flannel. Flannel is really nice to work with if you are going to sew and more of my newer stuff tends to be out of flannel instead of fleece
Old 09-19-2011, 07:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ha, no I've never been on NarutoFan forums, my name is just a misspelling of Klickitat. The street that Ramona lived on? And thanks guys. Just fleece would probably be good for summer, and in winter I think I'll make one like yours, Hedgieonboard. I actually use flannel alot when I make Halloween costumes for my younger sisters. I personally love Burlap though. Then again, it's halloween costumes.
Kickitat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2011, 11:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Alastrina

Welcome aboard! ^_^

I make my own liners, and I use 4 layers actually: Fleece / flannel / flannel / fleece

Now this is just because my boys like to tip their water dishes and I need the extra absorbency in the middle layer. Cotton batting is just so pricey for the good stuff, IMO.

If you're not super crafty, you can simply layer cut-to-fit fleece, a few layers will be pretty absorbent. Any other fabrics that could fray would need to be hemmed.

Rest in Peace Charley, you will always be my heart <3
Alastrina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2011, 01:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastrina
Now this is just because my boys like to tip their water dishes and I need the extra absorbency in the middle layer. Cotton batting is just so pricey for the good stuff, IMO.
This. My first set of liners, I sewed a sheet of cotton batting in between the fleece layers. When they first went through the wash, the cotton layer got all twisted and started to disintegrate. I had to take out all the stitches, remove the cotton, and re-sew. It could probably be done with better quality cotton, or a different material, but I'm content with just two layers of fleece for now.

Anyway, good luck! And welcome to HHC.

cylaura is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in