Meet Draco: He's Blonde and a Prick.... - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2011, 11:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Meet Draco: He's Blonde and a Prick....

Hi I'm new here. My name is Mike, and I recently graduated college, and I am on my own finally - but I'm still in school, pursing a 9-month program to supplement my bachelors. Anyway I have always had animals growing up - my parents even bred Yorkshire Terriers before I was born. Since moving half way across the country - I have found a void in my life, a "companion" I use that term loosely...

First problem - I can't have cats or dogs in my apartment. I am in class from 8-3 and then at work from 4-midnight so even if I wasn't allergic to cats, or allowed to have either a dog or cat - I wouldn't be able to adopt knowing I'd never give them the time they need. I've always had a fondness for Hedgehogs. I spent about a week cruising this site (not enough as you'll see from a few mistakes I made before getting my little guy) and contacting breeders in my area.

I ended up getting a 5 month old from a breeder. On her site there were two brothers who were significantly cheaper and when I inquired as to why, she just said no one ever found their color combination to be desirable so no one ever bought them- But I instantly fell in love.

So last week I went to the local pet store. I bought a 10 gallon fish tank (with clip on screen), a 8" comfort wheel, a bowl for food, a water bottle, a digital thermometer, and pine shavings.

Before picking him up I put together his cage.

This past weekend, a few friends and I drove down (about a 4 hour drive) to go check the little guys out. When we got there they were in a kiddie pool of shavings and just roamin around. I picked up one of them and he just checked me out, sniffed and then buried his head into my elbow. While I was talking to the breeder he seemed to get annoyed so I put him back and picked up his brother. He just kinda looked at me and then crawled up my chest and onto my shoulder...I think I figured out which one I was going to get. We were there for about an hour and then we were on our way. She gave me a thing of mixed purina cat show and premium hedgehog food.

In the shoe box in the car:

When we got home I put him into his cage. He went right over the the wheel, dug under neath it and passed out behind the wheel...

I put a little food in his bowl and hung out with my friends for the evening. That night I slept on the couch, next to him to make sure everything was okay.

Around 2 in the morning he got up to eat...then went to the wheel....it was too small and he couldn't get on so he just exercised his front legs for about 20 minutes.

This morning when I got up, I just started reading this site more...to just read more about him. He almost toppled the wheel while I was browsing so I figured it was time to fix some of the issues.

I drove back to the local pet store, got a bigger wheel, an igloo, water bottle, and a "corner litter box". I also stopped at Target and got the 6 wire cube organizer to make the C&C cage. I picked up some foam board as well.

for the floor, I have the board, then plastic bags (taped to eachother) and then the fleece which is folded in half:

I'll probably just put the wheel on craigslist...and my friend is going to take the fish tank off my hands.

When I picked him up this afternoon (around 5:30) to put him in his new cage, he was super grumpy and balled up. Once he was placed in his cage tho he instantly started exploring. I even got him to eat part of a raspberry. He's been in the igloo ever since but when I peered in he looked at me, and didn't quill up, so I think eventually he'll warm up.

I figure I can feed him every day when I get home from school and then hopefully he'll be active when I get home from work, take him out and socialize with him before I go to bed. I think he's really gorgeous and like I said I wasn't looking for affection...just something so I wasn't alone - and a fish wasn't going to cut it.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has posted info on this website It's really appreciated.
BrassClef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2011, 11:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Meet Draco: He's Blonde and a Prick....

I just wanted to add, I also zip tied the wheel to the cage...so he shouldn't be able to move this one now..
BrassClef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2011, 11:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sweetergrrrl

Yay! Congrats on the new baby and for figuring out your own mistakes so fast! It usually takes me WAY longer. If you have any questions, don't be shy! There are tons of knowledgeable people on the site!

sweetergrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 12:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

He's so cute! He does look like a Draco haha
I just graduated in May too and the first thing I did was get a hedgehog
More pics!!

DexterTheHog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2011, 01:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to sayhedgehog

Congratulations and good job on correcting what was wrong!

He is beautiful! I dunno why no one would want his coloration. He reminds me of my first hedgehog, Quillson.

sayhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2011, 01:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

Draco is a cutie Thought I would mention...you should probably take that heavy thing off his house because if it topples it could hurt him. If he is moving his house around perhaps put in in a corner and use the (rock? shell? can'y tell what it is) against the side but on the floor.

welcome!
Hissy-Fit-Hazel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2011, 06:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Breeders

He is a stunner! So glad you ditched the tank and small wheel,good job! Welcome to the forums!
Old 09-12-2011, 07:45 AM   #8 (permalink)

"He's Blonde and a Prick" I love it!

He looks adorable. My little guy is a big fan of sleeping underneath his wheel as well. It's like he's afraid I'm going to steal it from him while he's in his igloo or something.

lehaley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2011, 09:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
PJM
Rescue

Welcome to HHC! Draco is adorable!! Good for you for doing your research & making the changes. I'm sure you will both be happy with each other.

PJM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2011, 11:22 AM   #10 (permalink)

Welcome to HHC! Good for you for doing research and fixing your mistakes!

Draco is SUCH a cutie. I don't know why people wouldn't like his coloring - I think it is gorgeous! Can't wait to see more pictures and hear more stories about the little guy. Congrats!

cylaura is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in