A few Questions! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2011, 01:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default A few Questions!

Hello everyone! I am keeping a hedgehog for a friend because her housing situation does not allow her to have pets. The hedgehog's name is Carson, and he is two years old. He's shy, but sweet, and is finally getting used to me and lets me hold and pet him without puffing up. I do have a few questions that I am hoping to find some answers to here!
1. When I received Carson, he was in an aquarium full of "Kaytee Pine Shavings", and with a bowl of "Ultra-Blend Select Nutrient Rich Hedgehog Diet". Should I switch either his bedding his food, or are both sufficient for a healthy happy hedgehog?
2. Carson tends to eliminate in his food bowl, especially right after I fill it with fresh food! Is there something I can do to avoid this, or is it just something I have to live with? Also, how much food does an adult hedgehog need?
3. After reading through a few of these forums, I understand that Carson needs treats in supplement to his food, and I was wondering what sort of treats are acceptable for him, as well as how often he should have them.
I believe this is all my questions for now, thanks for your help!
CarsonsBabySitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2011, 02:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: A few Questions!

I also forgot to ask about baths. Carson smells pretty stinky, and his quills have dried poo and food on them. How can I bathe him without upsetting him too bad?
Old 09-11-2011, 02:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hello and welcome to HHC

I would change the habitat aquariums have poor ventilation and make bad homes for hedgehogs.

The food is "crap" and does not provide sufficent nutrients for a hedgehog his pooping on it is probably him letting you know is his body more a )( then ()?

I would switch to fleece as a bedding it is much cheaper safer and cleaner for a hedgehog.

I am on my phone typing this so visit the housin and diet forums for ideas for food and housing also he needs a good solid surface wheel
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 02:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Breeders

You can use some Aveno oatmeal bath, I like the little packets with the powder. Just sprinkle about half the packet into a sink of warm water, be sure he is completely dry before returning him to his cage.

Is he still in the tank? Aquariums make bad hedgheog cages since there is no ventilation and some hogs have been known to rub their nose raw on the glass.

The food in not very good and should be slowly phased out. Most of us here food a mix of catfoods, if you check the diet section you will see a list of some good foods to use. Mealworms and crickets are good to feed as treats and are ready available.

Most of us use fleece liners. Fleece is cheap and can be washed, so no monthly expence. Also it don't harbor mites and is not dusty. Lots of people sell them in the for sale section of the forum or you can easily make some of your own. Buy you a few yards to start with from a fabric store, about $5-10 a yard and cut it to fit. If you search the housing section you will find some threads about making liners that will help.

Don't know what to tell you about pooping in the bowl . Does he have a wheel?
Old 09-11-2011, 04:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

No, he does not have a wheel. Which wheel would you recommend so that I may get him one? Also, I will begin to phase out his food slowly, as well as switch to fleece liners. Thanks! Any other hints? I also bought Aveeno Baby oatmeal wash for his bath, as well as some soft toothbrushes. I couldn't find flax seed oil, will it be okay to bathe him without it?
Old 09-11-2011, 04:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsonsBabySitter
No, he does not have a wheel. Which wheel would you recommend so that I may get him one? Also, I will begin to phase out his food slowly, as well as switch to fleece liners. Thanks! Any other hints? I also bought Aveeno Baby oatmeal wash for his bath, as well as some soft toothbrushes. I couldn't find flax seed oil, will it be okay to bathe him without it?
Carolina Storm Wheels are great. LarryT actually makes them Is his skin dry? Flax Seed oil is only necissary for dry skin

CourtneyFaye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in