Some Questions about Care - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2011, 02:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Some Questions about Care

Hey, I'm a newbie here. I'm planning on getting a hedgehog next summer, in the meantime I'm researching and saving up. I've got a couple of questions:

1) I live in an old house, and my room is where I will keep the hedgie. For the chilly winters I'm planning on getting a CHE, along with a light, but I'm wondering more about the summer time. I don't have air conditioning, and my room gets really hot. I've only really heard about things to keep hedgies cool for a short period of time, not so much in the long run. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas that might last long term other than putting in air conditioning. Would a fan be too disruptive wind wise? Are there any little 'cool house' designs where your hedgie can go into? I've only heard bad things with hedgies getting too cold. How exactly would they react to heat? Is too hot just as risky as too cold?

2) Another thing I was wondering about was baths. How many times should you give your hedgehog a bath? Can you tell if they are getting dirty? I think I understand the whole bathing process, and I've given other tiny creatures baths before that are similar, like hammies and stray kittens, so I think I'll be okay in that regard. It's just the how much part that is a bit confusing. Every year? Every month?

3) Finally, this is calling out to everyone in Kingston area Ontario that has hedgies. I'd like to get to know you guys and to have people close by that I can talk to or possibly email if there are any problems, or just to have nice hedgehog talk with.

4) Finally, if you are from this area, what vets are the best? Also, where did you get your hedgie from and what prices should I expect?

Thanks so much for reading and replying! I really love reading about everyone's hedgies here and it's really encouraging!
cheesepuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2011, 04:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Some Questions about Care

1) Well the only thing I can suggest is maybe investing in a free standing air conditioning thing for your room? It would be good for both you and your hedgehog so it might be worth it. Also since it's the end of the season maybe you can get them cheap especially off someplace like craigslist.

2) You'll basically learn to eye it. I have to give my girl foot baths a lot cause she's a pig. lol It's almost a every day thing. But a regular bath a do if she does something gross like annoit over something gross. Or if she gets poop in her quills.

Hope you post lots of pics when you get your new baby

RIP Opal <3
Buy 2012 hedgehog calendar here: http://www.lulu.com/product/calendar/20 ... r/18714080
Join Hedgehog Happenings on Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/groups/hedgehoghappenings/
ShutUpAndSmile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2011, 05:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Some Questions about Care

Welcome!

Fans aren't usually a good idea because of the draft they cause. The temperature being too warm can definitely be bad for your hedgehog. We had a wonderful hedgehog owner lose a young hedgie a few months ago and it's suspected that she died of heat stroke. I think a very important factor in deciding whether a hedgie is right for you is determining whether or not you'll be able to keep their temperature in the right range (usually 73 - 78 degrees F, but all hedgies are different and some don't mind a bit cooler or warmer temps) to keep your hedgie healthy and happy. If you don't have AC and the temp gets too high, you may have to move the hedgehog to a different room for a while or just go with temporary cooling sources and check on them often.

It's pretty easy to tell when your hedgehog needs a bath. I, too, give my hedgie foot baths regularly because her feet get covered in poop when she wheels (sometimes the urine/stool gets on her tummy too - gross lol). I actually just gave her a full bath a couple days ago because she had poo stuck to her sides, her tummy was getting gross looking and she smelled like urine. She managed to accomplish these gross feats in less than 24 hours! haha. Hogs can have sensitive skin, so frequency of baths really depends on the individual little one. My Milly has great skin, and hasn't had any issues with dryness, so I can bathe her 2 or 3 times a month. Other hedgies have very dry skin, so baths are only given when it's really necessary (once a month, maybe less).

You should look through the stickied posts in the different sections. I learn something new every time I read posts here.

This message was brought to you by Mildred the Hedgehog's slave, Hannah! ^.^
hanhan27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in