Am I Forgetting Something... And Questions - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Am I Forgetting Something... And Questions

I am picking up my baby girl tomorrow! I have been doing so much research, but I still feel like I am forgetting something. This is what I have…

Cage:
-C&C cage that is 2x2. It has coroplast on the bottom and up the sides that is 9 in. It also has a top.
-Bedding: fleece that is 4 layers thick.
-CSW
-Igloo with fleece strips
-Corner litter pan (If litter training isn’t successful I will use it as a dig box)
-Yesterday’s News Litter
-Ceramic food dish
-Ceramic water dish
-CHE w/ thermostat (I am setting it up today)
-Light w/ timer (I am setting it up today)
-Digital thermometer

Toys:
-Small stuffed animals
-Easter eggs
-Prescription bottle filled with beads
-Boxes
-Ele-Fun
-Extra fleece blanket for cuddling
-TP tubes for when she gets older
-Playpen made out of storage cubes (climbing won’t be an issue because she will only be in there with me watching her)

Other:
-Cetaphil (Unscented soap to wash hands)
-Oatmeal for baths
-Toothbrush for baths
-Towel with VERY small loops for after baths
-Mealworms
-Baby Nail Clippers (Buying today)
-Camera to take lots of picture!

Food:
-At first the breeders food
-Switch to a mix of: NB- Green Pea & Duck, Innova low fat cat, Purina One Beyond (Buying today)

Random Questions:
1. Should I handle my hedgehog at all the first day I get her? If yes, how much? If no, for how long?
2. I have read to put an old t-shirt you have worn into the cage, do I take out some fleece strips and put it in the igloo? Or do I just plop it in the cage anywhere?
3. When should I have my hedgehog get her first vet checkup (I am getting her from a breeder)?

Sorry for the long post! I am so excited and want everything to be perfect!

CourtneyFaye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2011, 11:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: Am I Forgetting Something... And Questions

Looks like you're in good shape! The only things that came to mind that you might want on hand are regular Neosporin/Polysporin, just in case of tiny things like cuts or something, and flaxseed oil or Sunshine Factor for dry skin. Mealworms and crickets for treats, too, if she's been introduced them either of them already. You might also want to get some of the breeder's water in some bottles so you can switch her water slowly as well. I didn't do this with Lily and didn't notice any issues (since she already had green poop from the move anyway), but it might help her adjust to the change better.

1. It's generally recommended to leave them alone for the first 24 hours and let them settle in. Just make sure she's eating/drinking and she should be fine.

2. I think you can just put it in the cage anywhere, but it's pretty much up to you!

3. I'd say you could wait a couple-few weeks before you take her in for a wellness visit. If she's from a good breeder, she shouldn't be coming with any health issues, and if you wait a while to take her in, you'll have a better idea of her habits and "normal" behavior so you can tell the vet.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2011, 01:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

With the t-shirt scent idea...you can also throw her fleeces in your bed tonight while they are clean and sleep with them so your scent is on them. Just be sure to check them over for any hairs before putting them back in the cage

You could put a bit of her kibbles in her house with her in case she might be afraid to venture out and push the food & water bowls close to her house too.

I've had Hazel 1 1/2 mths now and not yet got into the vet...not because I didn't want to because I've always done regular exams with my pets...but she's kind of naughty and I've not had any concerns. I wanted her to settle in and be ok with me handling her before taking her in. I know the turd will not unball for any vet yet

Congrats on your new quill-kid!
Hissy-Fit-Hazel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 09:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for your fast replies! I think I have some Neosporin, but i will have to check. And I am hoping I will be able to wait to get flaxseed oil when its on sale, but if she has dry skin and needs it I willl get it. I will definatly move the food and water close to the igloo because right now it is kind of far away. I was thinking about sleeping with the fleece but I use scented fabric softener so I am afraid it will end up smelling more like softener than me.

Thanks for the advice!

Old 09-04-2011, 11:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

I noticed you have a corner litter box. That doesn't sound like something that goes under wheel.
Hedgehogs mostly go when they are wheeling around so best bet is to get something that fits under your babys wheel. :3 I get my litter boxes from the dollar store. I just use those aluminum cooking things and since it is only a dollar I throw it out every few months when my girly beats it up a lot lol

Well I know my vet wont see an animal till they're I think 10 weeks old so if your getting a baby then your vet might not even see you asap. But I think I brought my girl when she was 11 weeks old. :3

RIP Opal <3
Buy 2012 hedgehog calendar here: http://www.lulu.com/product/calendar/20 ... r/18714080
Join Hedgehog Happenings on Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/groups/hedgehoghappenings/
ShutUpAndSmile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2011, 11:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyFaye
was thinking about sleeping with the fleece but I use scented fabric softener so I am afraid it will end up smelling more like softener than me.

Thanks for the advice!
If it's a scent you normally use she will get used to it as part of your scent because you are sleeping on it My Hazel is a weirdo hedgie and will pick a snuggle bag washed in detergent over those washed in vinegar/unscented. I never thought about it before in this way...perhaps this is because it smells like me??? She doesn't seem bothered by our "normal" scents....just new ones.
Hissy-Fit-Hazel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2011, 11:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

You seem very prepared! I had the same thought about the litter pan position. The CSW comes with a little plastic pan the fits under it and that is what we use for the litter pan (I acually turn mine sideways so it sticks out more in front of the wheel).

The only other thing I thought of was maybe a scale if you want to keep track of the weights. They say weight loss is one of the first signs of illness so it is good to keep track of the weight so you can identify problems early.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutUpAndSmile
I noticed you have a corner litter box. That doesn't sound like something that goes under wheel.
Hedgehogs mostly go when they are wheeling around so best bet is to get something that fits under your babys wheel. :3 I get my litter boxes from the dollar store. I just use those aluminum cooking things and since it is only a dollar I throw it out every few months when my girly beats it up a lot lol

Well I know my vet wont see an animal till they're I think 10 weeks old so if your getting a baby then your vet might not even see you asap. But I think I brought my girl when she was 11 weeks old. :3
The CSW comes with a litter pan and I have that too... So right now I have 2 in the cage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlthehedgie
You seem very prepared! I had the same thought about the litter pan position. The CSW comes with a little plastic pan the fits under it and that is what we use for the litter pan (I acually turn mine sideways so it sticks out more in front of the wheel).

The only other thing I thought of was maybe a scale if you want to keep track of the weights. They say weight loss is one of the first signs of illness so it is good to keep track of the weight so you can identify problems early.
I never thought to turn the pan sideways but i will do that because it doesnt stick out very far. I am probably going to get a scale, do you think I need one right away?

Old 09-04-2011, 11:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

in my opinion, probably it is not essential to have the scale right away. She will gain weight as she grows and it will be more important to monitor when the weight levels off. I think it was fun to monitor how quickly our Pearl grew though
Old 09-05-2011, 10:27 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlthehedgie
in my opinion, probably it is not essential to have the scale right away. She will gain weight as she grows and it will be more important to monitor when the weight levels off. I think it was fun to monitor how quickly our Pearl grew though
I think it would be fun too! I will get one ASAP!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in