Update on my future adopting of a hedgehog. - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2011, 08:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Smile Update on my future adopting of a hedgehog.

So far so good and with Christmas approaching, things are getting serious.
And long as I keep my grades up, room clean, and I'm nice to my little brother this week (which is definitely going to happen) I have been offered to 'babysit' a hedgehog.
My mom's friend's daughter is at college and has left her hedgehog, Alf, with her mom. However, her mom is terribly afraid of touching it and won't play with it (and I doubt it's been bathed in a long time or had it's cage cleaned. )
So, they offered it to me to watch while she's away. (CAN I GET A WOOT WOOT?)
I know quite well how to take care of a hedgehog and have done a lot of research, this will be my test to actually putting all this knowledge to use.

Now to the point:
I have actually interacted with Alf before, he doesn't appear to be very well socialized. He's about 2 years old and I get a feeling he hasn't been interacted with very much. Last time I saw him, whenever I went to touch him he'd click, put his quills up, and hide his face. I'll be picking him up, hopefully, Friday after school.
Any advice on how to get him to be a little more comfortable and relax?
thegabibee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Update on my future adopting of a hedgehog.

WOOT WOOT!

When you take him out of his cage, give him a while to walk around and explore to eliminate bedhead and be very slow and cautious while approaching him. Hissing and clicking, I'm afraid, is going to be inevitable, though. And remember: he'll be scared and confused because he's out of his normal environment and routine. As with almost every behavioral hedgehog issue, patience and persistence counts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in