Breeders in Texas? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2011, 10:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Breeders in Texas?

I'm not sure if this is in the right spot, so feel free to move if it's not.
I am wanting to get another hedgie in the next couple of months and I'm wondering if anyone knows anything good/bad about Mrs. Tiggywinkles in Dallas or Janda Exotics in San Marcos. Also, if anyone knows any reputable breeders in the Centralish Texas area that would be great! Thanks for your help!

Mommy to Spike and Sophie <3
baileyr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2011, 10:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Breeders in Texas?

I don't know about the first one but do know a few things about Janda's. Janda's was really hard to get a hold of. I went to San Antonio a little over a year ago and tried contacting them prior and during the trip to see if I could come and check out the hedgies. I was planning on getting one and after all the calls and emails didn't get any reply. After I got back home I was glad it didn't work out because a few people ended up having a few issues with hedgehogs they got there . If you do a search in the top right hand corner you will get to see in more detail but I think off the top of my head was issues with mites and URI's. There was something else too that I can't remember, I'm wanting to say Giardia but can't say 100%.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

Do not buy from Janda exotics she has sold me whs Hedgie and also 2 preg ones she is a nice girl but don't sell the best hedgies. Not to bad mouth anyone because im new and only know a few breeders but she's one to stay away from.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to nationofamanda

the lack of good quality breeders near san antonio led me to owning rescues only. (janda's sells to pet stores in town.)
Old 08-31-2011, 11:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Breeders

Quote:
Originally Posted by connorshogs
Do not buy from Janda exotics she has sold me whs Hedgie and also 2 preg ones she is a nice girl but don't sell the best hedgies. Not to bad mouth anyone because im new and only know a few breeders but she's one to stay away from.
I agree not to buy from Jandaexotics they are wholesalers, that alone turns my stomach.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ever think of getting one shipped from a breeder on here
Old 08-31-2011, 05:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for all the responses! It's good to know about Janda's. As far as shipping, it's more money than I would like to spend and more stress for the hedgie, and I also would like to meet my hedgie before getting her this time around. If only y'all were close enough for me to drive, as it would be nice to buy from someone on the forum.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

So I emailed Mrs. Tiggywinkles and it's against her policy to adopt out an un-spayed female to a home that has a male already. Is this a common policy (meaning will I probably encounter this with another breeder)? I would adopt another rescue, but I would really like a baby this time around Thanks for any help y'all can offer!

Old 08-31-2011, 10:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

I don't know any breeders that due that first off I could be wrong but its a risky thing to due. I would probably think about getting one shipped. She just didn't want you to breed her. I know a lot of breeder that will ask you not to breed without asking for permission. But I never heard of that. When I sell a female I ask them to ask me if they decide to breed but really that didn't mean they will its impossible to control people from doing what they want. If I were you I would look around or think about getting one shipped
Old 08-31-2011, 10:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyr2
So I emailed Mrs. Tiggywinkles and it's against her policy to adopt out an un-spayed female to a home that has a male already. Is this a common policy (meaning will I probably encounter this with another breeder)? I would adopt another rescue, but I would really like a baby this time around Thanks for any help y'all can offer!
Seems a bit excessive but I can understand her protectiveness from what I understand there are a lot of benefits to a spay on a female which can reduce many prominent cancers. I could be wrong her though

If that's a problem then you could get another male hedgehog
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in