Need help dealing with breeder!(long) - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2011, 10:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need help dealing with breeder!(long)

I'm having issues with a breeder I got my hedgies from.

To start, I got a male from her a couple years ago. Then, within the last year I was going through a rough patch and was debating whether or not to rehome the boy I got from her. She said she wanted him back to stud because he was the last of his line and she would be more then happy to take him for a while to stud and when the time comes(in July) we would see if I was able to take him back.

In the end, I decided to get him back, along with a female to breed him with. We kinda tossed around a few ideas of who to pair him with and in the end she said she knew a breeder with a pinto-face female that she could trade with so I could have her to put with my boy. Well, at the last minute(about a week before our planned meet-up, which had been planned for many months) she said it was a no-go and that she didn't have any females I could pair with my boy...

Let me stop here to add that the breeder owed me quite a bit of money at the time for some sugar gliders she'd gotten from me.

Needless to say, I was pretty upset. During this time she'd gotten multiple babies by studding my boy, including a beautiful split-faced girl. She had told me she would give me the money from selling his babies(since she owed me money), yet she was keeping the most valuable baby to do a trade with someone else, even though she'd owed me for well over a year.

I decided to let her know how extremely upset I was in the end we settled on me getting 3 of the girls she got from my male, including the split-faced girl, AND a different, unrelated male. In exchange, she would get to keep my boy and I would also cancel the debt she owed me. I was pretty happy with it in the end and was excited to get the hedgies.

Everything went downhill from there...

After having driven almost 40 hours round-trip it turns out that the male has Coccidia and Clostridium, 1 of the females is inbred(from brother/sister pairing), another of the females has a deformed ear, and the split-faced female is more like a "split-nose" because her split-face that was so dark as a baby is now pretty much non-existant. :/

I was told before I got them that all 3 girls' moms were unrelated to the boy she got from me to stud to them, when I asked her about the 1 girl being inbred she said she didn't realize that the mom was the sister to the male she got from me... With the girl with the deformed ear that I pointed out when I got them she said "oh, I didn't even notice that". Then with the male with sick male I got she'd told me he was "small", but I didn't realize that what she meant was "sick, emmanciated, walking skeleton"!

It took us 2 days to get home. Once we were home I asked her about the male being so skinny. She said she had tested him and he had no parasites(which was her way of saying that she had a "group fecal" done on her hedgies MONTHS before, when the male, who is now 10 months old, was just a baby), so she figured it must be that he has a fast metabolism and I should just keep an eye on him.

I weighed him every other day. He started at 230g, went up to 236, then back down to 230 all within a week. Since he didn't gain weight I decided to take him to the vet and have him tested for parasites. Of course, the test came back positive for Coccidia and Clostridium.

The breeder agreed to pay half the vet bill($65) when I told her about it. Now, however, she's saying she won't pay a dime and is telling me, and I quote, "Both of these organisms are normally found in small amounts in the intestines of most animals, and only become a problem when their numbers become too large."

I've dealt with parasites and bacteria infections before and I know that Clostridium is caused by stress and I told the breeder that, obviously, she is not the blame for that. However, Coccidia has an incubation period of 13 days and at the time I took the boy to the vet I'd only had him for 10 days, so there's no way he got it while I had him. Also, Coccidia is NOT normally found in animals. It's common in puppy's/kittens, yes, but it's not naturally-occuring. They have to get it from somewhere to begin with.

Anyways, I'm at a loss as to what to do about this whole situation. Now that you guys know the story, do you have any suggestions as to what I can do?

The breeder got a total of over $1,000 out of the trade and I feel like I've been totally cheated and ripped off. I've know here for a couple years now and thought we were "friends" and I helped her get alot of new business by intro-ing her to the world of sugar gliders and by recommending her to people I knew were interested in hedgies and in return I've been treated like dirt!
Love2read is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2011, 11:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Need help dealing with breeder!(long)

Sounds like the hedgehogs have been treated like dirt, too. Its sad that they dont have forever homes with people who want to give them good, long lives instead of trading and breeding them for the most profit possible. If I were you, I would stay away from this breeder. They obviously have no intentions of breeding the best hogs they can and are only in it for the money.

The whole situation sounds terrible, but I have no clue what you can do about it. Legally its your fault if you never got anything in writing, and the story is so heart wrenchingly sad for the poor animals involved that I doubt many people would have sympathy for you.

This message was brought to you by Mildred the Hedgehog's slave, Hannah! ^.^
hanhan27 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2011, 11:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanhan27
Sounds like the hedgehogs have been treated like dirt, too. Its sad that they dont have forever homes with people who want to give them good, long lives instead of trading and breeding them for the most profit possible.

the story is so heart wrenchingly sad for the poor animals involved that I doubt many people would have sympathy for you.

agreed...willy-nilly trading living creatures around to breed or for cash owed geez. The whole mess is a good lesson on why one should have an experienced, reputable and ethical mentor. Zero sympathy here.
Hissy-Fit-Hazel is offline   Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 12:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

I'm closing this. This is your first post here and we are only hearing your side of it. This is a matter between you and the breeder.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in