Is it hard caring for a hedgehog through university? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2011, 06:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is it hard caring for a hedgehog through university?

I'm going into my first year of university next September (not this September) so I'm not sure what to expect. I'm taking this year off because I'm on a waiting list to get into university. I'll have the hedgehog for almost a year before I go to university, but how hard is it to do university and care for a hedgehog? At least while I'm studying I can hold the hedgehog on my lap. I decided to only get 1 hedgehog, then more later on in a few years.
Kaboodle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2011, 06:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Is it hard caring for a hedgehog through university?

I don't know about doing it with school going but for me the most time it takes to take care of Terra ( my Hedgie) is 30 min and thats only when I do a full cleaning of her inclossure.
Most of the time when clean her little place in my house I either just change her fleece or just clean her wheel. I do a full clean up about once or twice a week.
I only give her baths if she is real dirty witch ain't to often.
A hedgehog only needs about 15 min of your time daily. I suggest to do play/bonding time about an hour before your hedgie gets up on its own. They are a little less grumpy then
Old 08-26-2011, 06:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Well first make sure you cam have one at the university or have an apartment. As far as time management, I like college better than high school and find myself with more free time. But I don't have a job per se... If I had a real job, then it would be exponentially harder IMO. It's not impossible, there are just a couple things to consider.

Daleo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 06:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

If you plan on living in a dorm, getting a hedgehog right now is probably not the best idea for you. Most, if not all dorms do not allow animals other than fish and if you are caught with an animal, there can be some pretty severe consequences. (like getting thrown out of the dorms). If you are planning on getting your own place, you need to make sure it's a place that allows pets. You should also think about whether or not you will be able to afford a hedgehog while you're in school. Not only will you need to pay to feed him/her, it's recommended that you have a fund of at least $200 at all times for emergency vet visits. Taking a hedgie to the vet is usually not cheap!

I'm a college student myself, and I started researching hedgehogs over the summer. As much as I wanted to run out and get one right away, I decided to wait until I was settled in my apartment and had enough money to buy everything/build up a vet fund. I know that it is tough to wait when you're really excited about getting a hedgehog, but if you can't guarantee everything I mentioned above, I wouldn't recommend getting one now.

lehaley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2011, 06:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

I forgot to mention- in regards to time, you should be ok. Unless you're in a ridiculously hard program of study or do tons of extracirricular stuff, you'll have plenty of down time in college. I'm in a pretty intense nursing program and I still have a lot of free time. It's kind of nice that hedgies are nocturnal because I am in class all day, but will have plenty of time to spend with my little guy at night.

lehaley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2011, 06:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

I just went through my first year of university with my hedgie.
I made study time quality time. I let quillbert run all over my text books while I was reading, he even helped me type a few essays lol. Its really not that difficult to spend time and give the proper care to a hedgie as long as you are serious about doing so.
The best thing is to get into a schedule, Quilly and I play in the morning while Im getting ready and at night while im studying.
I forgot to mention that I also worked 5 days a week while in school, so it is possible!!

Also, to echo everything that the previous posters have said, just make sure you are very prepaired for expenses and the style of living a hedgie needs (heat, snacks etc).
Renee_Darton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2011, 04:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

I'm a very small hobby breeder, but am also attending a university My classes are a little different-- I've started doing mainly online classes, and I only just started breeding about 8 months ago, but I've had a hog since I began college 3 years ago, and never had a problem. Just plan that money buffer for vet emergencies and do NOT use it for anything else! There's nothing quite as wonderful as a late-night study buddy as a little quilly friend
Old 08-27-2011, 01:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hi! I'm in my fourth year of study at my university and I haven't found caring for my hedgehog all that difficult. It depends on your course of study and where you live, as others have mentioned. The initial set up for the hedgehog is always so expensive, but the costs (apart from vet bills) ease after that. I find I still have plenty of time for my little guy and I always have money set aside. I brought my hedgie to live in the dorms with me when I first got him, which was strictly speaking allowed, and I'm not saying you should count on it working, but it wasn't a problem for me. Nobody who knew about my hedgehog cared that he was there and they liked to visit him. Now I am out of the dorms and living abroad for a semester, but my boyfriend has been trained in the ways of over-protective hedgie parent and is taking care of him.

So...I guess it all depends on you. Do you have the funds? Do you have a living plan that has room for a hedgehog? Is there free time to spend with the little critter?

Curious Little Hedgie Videos Here: http://www.youtube.com/user/EryBeeandCompanee
EryBee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2011, 03:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Money isn't an issue really because I'll have the setup and everything ready since I'll have the hedgehog for almost 1 year before I go to university. So I'm mostly just worried about time.

The program I'm going into is a Combined Honors BA. (Honors Double Major in Humanities and Social Science). So I'm a bit worried about time because I've never been to university before.
Kaboodle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2011, 04:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'm a thrid year senior at my University, and honestly I would advise that you try to get a semester in without a hedgie.

This way you know how you can manage your time, and you will know how hard (or how easy) it is for you to devote extra time to a pet.

You must also consider that if you live in a dorm or small apartment, hedgies make noise at night and can interfere with your sleep. If it's in the room with you, you'll deal with wheel noise, litter box rustling, and even the smell of them doing their "business"

Also, money is ALWAYS a factor when owning a hedgie, you need at least enough for two vet bills and an extra month of food/supplies in case you fall into hard times.

Only you will know what you can handle, and with a double major, I would advise you wait as long as it takes until you can map out your daily activities enough to include sleep, study, friends, hygiene, meal time, a part time job (maybe), time for physical activity... assign an number of hours to each category- add them up and subtract them from the time in a week...
then you will know if you can devote enough time for snuggles and activities with a hedgehog.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in