Weight vs Food Intake - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2011, 04:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Weight vs Food Intake

Just to get an idea of feeding amounts can you guys help me out here?

Even though Blue's kibble amount is being regulated, he rarely eats the whole bowl in one night so I am thinking that it might need to be cut down even more... but I don't know what a "normal" amount of kibble is. I want to get a bit of an average...

What are your hedgehogs' weights, and how much and what) do they eat each night?
HurricaneKatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2011, 08:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: Weight vs Food Intake

Lily's sick at the moment, so I'll post her usual weight/food instead. Her normal weight is around 489-490 grams. Every night, she'll eat between 7-9 crickets, 5-6 mealworms, 1/2-1 tablespoon of mixed baby food, and 10-20 pieces of kibble. She usually eats all 10 of the Solid Gold kibble, which is her biggest one, kind of chunky X-shapes, then she'll eat some of the other ones.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2011, 12:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Inky is 4.5 years and weighs 276ish grams, and eats around 60 kibble a night plus LOTS of insects. So without any bugs, I'd say around 80-90 kibble a night.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 12:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

When Milly was younger, she ate about 70 kibbles a night with 3-4 mealworms and some fruit a few times a week. I'm not sure of what her weight was because I didn't have a scale at that point.

She's almost 5 months now. She eats about 40 kibble a night, gets 6 mealworms 5 nights a week and fruit/veggies a few times a week.

I think it'd be a good idea to add the age of the hedgie you're talking about!

This message was brought to you by Mildred the Hedgehog's slave, Hannah! ^.^
hanhan27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2011, 01:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Good idea, Hanhan! Lily's just over three years old.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2011, 01:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Celeste's age is unknown and since she hasn't really grown or gained much despite her increased intake of food I'd like to think she's over 6 months

Feral is a bit over 3 months and a bigger girl then Celeste probably cause Celeste is a runner.

Anyway

Feral (400 G Average)

10 Live Crickets per Night
10 Mealworms per Night
75 Kibble +/- per Night

Celeste (365 G Average)

10 Live Crickets per Night
15 Mealworms per Night
80 Kibble +/- per Night

Age will play a part but intake is so varied in hedgehogs its really hard to say there is any norm.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2011, 02:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Compared to everyone above, Misha is tiny. I think that's because he was on antibiotics as a baby, and they stunted his growth somewhat.

Anyway, he is just under 5 months old and weighs 240g.

He eats Blue Buffalo adult (18% fat): 40-50 kibble if no mealworms that nights, 20-30 kibble if he gets 5-6 mealworms and 4ish crickets. I have yet to get him to eat any babyfood or fruits & veggies.

moothecow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2011, 02:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

I know everyone here is fond of counting kibble to compare, but I still just cannot do that. We all feed different foods that are different sizes. 25 Kibble of baby cat is maybe equal to 5 of another type by weight... Plus different foods contain different kcal/kg.

Also its hard to compare how much 1 eats to another. Just like humans, some require a lot less to maintain weight. I had three hedgehogs who were all within 4 months age of each other. My 800 gram hedgehog ate the same amount of food as my 500 gram hedgehog. Yet my 450 gram hedgehog ate nearly 1.5 times the amount of the kibble mixture. Different activity levels, different metabolisms, just different hedgehogs.

Provide enough food that your hedgehog has left overs. If your hedgehog's food bowl is empty in the morning, add more food. If you feel you are wasting too much, cut back a little, but ensure that there is always some left over.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2011, 03:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

I find the kibble counting comparison confusing too... one type of Hazels kibble is 1/5 the size of the other. I have been trying to research a bit on what is average for eating because Hazel is not big on kibble at all nor has been since I got her. If I leave her kibble only she might eat 5-10 mad that I never have her chicken and stuff lol. If I crumble 20-40 kibble and mix it with her egg, chicken plus some baby food she will eat all I have left with her which usually amounts to about 4-6 tsp all mixed together + 2 to 4 mealies, usually a side of fruit....she will eat ALL. Kibble only = hunger strike. She's only 8 mths old...it's not that she has trouble eating kibble cause she does just fine. Maybe just spoiled!
Hissy-Fit-Hazel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2011, 07:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

'zactly Hissy-Fit. And those of us who don't feed kibble at all are REALLY hooped.

In case you are the same type of chef as me:

Sumo eats
10-15 crickets
5 live mealworms
1tbsp fruit
2 meatballs - about 2 tbsp of chicken/beef, rice, veggies

He is 8 months old, 655 grams and growing and seems to wheel like he's out for a stroll to buy munchies.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in