Taking a hedgehog out in public? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2015, 03:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Taking a hedgehog out in public?

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if I could get some opinions on this.

During my recent decision to become a hedgehog mommy, I feel like I've done a massive amount a research, (Side note: thank goodness for all of the knowledgable and experienced hedgie owners on this site!!) and have found that a proper environment is very important to a hedgehog's health.

A couple of years ago when I was in college, I had a classmate who would bring her hedgehog to class, where he would sleep most of the day bundled up in her scarf or in her sweatshirt. This was during winter in Denver, CO! She would sometimes take him out to show people or to feed him cat food kibbles. Knowing what I know now about keeping a hedgie in a controlled environment, I can't help but think that this was not the best situation for a baby hedgie.

When I told my coworkers that I was adopting one, they immediately asked if I would bring her into the office. I would be scared about stressing her out if I ever did this.

How do you all feel about taking your hedgie along to work or school or public spaces in general?
cosmicsans is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2015, 03:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

One major question comes to mind if I take my hedgehog someplace. Can I controll the temperature? If the answer is no, no questions asked, hedgehog stays at home.
Taking a hedgehog out can be fun, fighting to warm a hedgehog who is trying to hibernate is the opposite of fun.
octopushedge likes this.
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2015, 04:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Okay, that was my initial thought for sure. Luckily my friend's hog had a nice warm scarf to sleep in. Although it probably got pretty hot in there with the added body heat, too.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm not even a fan of taking my hedgehog to the vet sometimes. People really struggle to understand that hedgehogs are not social creatures and get very stressed by light and attention. A lot of people only have experience with animals like dogs, cats, or rabbits, so they apply what they know of those animals to hedgehogs. You get a lot of people trying to pet them, hold them, etc. and it's super stressful for the hedgehog
Slava likes this.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

It makes me sad to think back to this experience now, because I was totally one of those people who was like "Ooo can I touch him?" I was super taken aback when he started huffing at me and now I know he was just super freaked out out. Poor little guy.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hey, don't feel bad. Hedgehogs are weird animals and it's only natural to want to pet them. It's the owner's responsibility to set rules in the first place.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have taken Liam out in public places, such as the mall, vets office, supermarkets, etc. I'll usually wear a sweatshirt that has a big pocket and he'll sleep the whole time in there. As I live in South Florida, temperature isn't a problem for me, because trust me even when it's cold, it's hot.

I would however advise not to bring your future baby out if you live in a colder region where you know you won't be able to keep them warm. Other than that I'd say go for it because as far as people go I never actually flaunt him. So 98% of the time no one notices I have him with me lol.
liam1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2015, 05:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Another factor is can you control the temperature in your transportation? Yes, your car has heat.
What if something happens, accidents, traffic issues, heater malfunctions? These are all things to take into consideration. Your body heat may not be enough.
We talk a lot about travel cages around here. Yes, emergency personnel MIGHT look for an animal cage. There is no guarantee. But what will they do when they find it? Will they know it needs heat? Will they know who to contact to reach someone for YOUR information? Will that person know what needs to be done for your animals care?
These are not things specific to hedgehogs, cold weather isn't really good for you either. Being stuck in cold weather can suck.
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2015, 05:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Aww! That's adorable.

I would think another downside to taking him out and flaunting him would be messing up the sleep routine. But it's nice to know I can still move around and do things while having bonding time as long as she feels secure enough to stay asleep in my scarf or sweatshirt.

That being said, the winters in Colorado are definitely not mild. I wouldn't even attempt taking her out during the winter.

So again, I'm having a hard time believing my friends hedgie was okay even after being transported OUTSIDE from class to class in the winter!!
Old 10-09-2015, 05:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobytwopets View Post
Another factor is can you control the temperature in your transportation? Yes, your car has heat.
What if something happens, accidents, traffic issues, heater malfunctions? These are all things to take into consideration. Your body heat may not be enough.
We talk a lot about travel cages around here. Yes, emergency personnel MIGHT look for an animal cage. There is no guarantee. But what will they do when they find it? Will they know it needs heat? Will they know who to contact to reach someone for YOUR information? Will that person know what needs to be done for your animals care?
These are not things specific to hedgehogs, cold weather isn't really good for you either. Being stuck in cold weather can suck.
Another really important consideration for sure.

I bought a travel cage and I'm picking her up from the breeder tomorrow. It's going to be in the upper 80s tomorrow, which I suppose is less of an issue but something I'm still a little worried about.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in