Darwin the Mysterious Hedgehog! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2011, 10:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Darwin the Mysterious Hedgehog!

My baby, Darwin, is just 8 weeks old. I brought him home and did everything like I was supposed to but, there are two things I'm confused about. He doesn't poop or pee in his litter box. I tried a box that he gets up into and I also tried a small lid that he can just sit on. But every time he just scatters the litter all over and goes whenever he wants to. I just don't understand. And Darwin eats all the time so if he runs out of food even for a minute, he eats his litter! I just don't know what to do or if eating his litter can hurt him or what!

The other thing is that he sleeps all the time. I tried getting him up several times a day and I tried keeping the light on at night, ect. I just can't seem to break him from his nocturnal instincts!

One last question, can you overfeed a hedgehog because Darwin will get up to eat a few times a day, and like I said if he doesn't have enough food he eats his litter?? I feed him probably around 40-50 kibble pieces a day. So if someone could please give me some advice about all this that would be great!!
eb2015 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2011, 10:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Darwin the Mysterious Hedgehog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2015
My baby, Darwin, is just 8 weeks old. I brought him home and did everything like I was supposed to but, there are two things I'm confused about. He doesn't poop or pee in his litter box. I tried a box that he gets up into and I also tried a small lid that he can just sit on. But every time he just scatters the litter all over and goes whenever he wants to. I just don't understand. And Darwin eats all the time so if he runs out of food even for a minute, he eats his litter! I just don't know what to do or if eating his litter can hurt him or what!

The other thing is that he sleeps all the time. I tried getting him up several times a day and I tried keeping the light on at night, ect. I just can't seem to break him from his nocturnal instincts!

One last question, can you overfeed a hedgehog because Darwin will get up to eat a few times a day, and like I said if he doesn't have enough food he eats his litter?? I feed him probably around 40-50 kibble pieces a day. So if someone could please give me some advice about all this that would be great!!

Hello and welcome to HHC!

I am not sure where you did your research but I will try to clear a few things up as it seems you were misinformed.

Hedgehogs should not be changed of their nocturnal schedule its okay to bond with them for a bit during the day however if they choose to sleep you should let them sleep.

Babies will sleep more then adult hedgehogs so you shouldn't be concerned about this.

Hedgehogs rarely gorge themselves on food so you should be free feeding him if 40 to 50 kibble and its empty you need to increase to 60 kibble if its empty then increase to 70 until when you wake up there are kibble left in the bowl.

He is a baby and will eat a lot cause he is going to grow a lot in the coming weeks trust me.

Also don't leave a light on at night you should have a light schedule of something like lights on at 8am and off at 8pm to simulate daytime for them and they will know when to sleep.

Simply trying to leave a light on all night can really confuse them and cause damage as their internal clock is telling them its night so I wouldn't recommend trying to adjust his schedule.

Litter training isn't always successful and I would remove the litter if he is eating it and try a different litter.

Does your baby have a wheel that is solid? Normally hedgehogs end up doing most of their business on their wheel.

Also what is the temp of your hedgehogs cage?

It also sounds like he just doesn't have anything to stimulate him and this is another reason he is acting a bit out of sorts. Personally though it sounds like very natural behavior to me.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2011, 02:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWCOGAR
Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2015

Hello and welcome to HHC!

I am not sure where you did your research but I will try to clear a few things up as it seems you were misinformed.

Hedgehogs should not be changed of their nocturnal schedule its okay to bond with them for a bit during the day however if they choose to sleep you should let them sleep.

Babies will sleep more then adult hedgehogs so you shouldn't be concerned about this.

Hedgehogs rarely gorge themselves on food so you should be free feeding him if 40 to 50 kibble and its empty you need to increase to 60 kibble if its empty then increase to 70 until when you wake up there are kibble left in the bowl.

He is a baby and will eat a lot cause he is going to grow a lot in the coming weeks trust me.

Also don't leave a light on at night you should have a light schedule of something like lights on at 8am and off at 8pm to simulate daytime for them and they will know when to sleep.

Simply trying to leave a light on all night can really confuse them and cause damage as their internal clock is telling them its night so I wouldn't recommend trying to adjust his schedule.

Litter training isn't always successful and I would remove the litter if he is eating it and try a different litter.

Does your baby have a wheel that is solid? Normally hedgehogs end up doing most of their business on their wheel.

Also what is the temp of your hedgehogs cage?

It also sounds like he just doesn't have anything to stimulate him and this is another reason he is acting a bit out of sorts. Personally though it sounds like very natural behavior to me.
Speaking of going on the wheel. Will this become his normal habit or will he eventually break himself of this?
DirtyShisno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 03:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

wheel pooping is normal...push your litter box over to it and you solved your problem but they generally need daily cleaning. Poopy hedgie feet need a walk around in a bit of water to clean them up. If he is eating the litter try just a paper towel in the box maybe. If you pick up random poops put them in the box so he knows that is where poops go
Hissy-Fit-Hazel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2011, 10:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissy-Fit-Hazel
wheel pooping is normal...push your litter box over to it and you solved your problem but they generally need daily cleaning. Poopy hedgie feet need a walk around in a bit of water to clean them up. If he is eating the litter try just a paper towel in the box maybe. If you pick up random poops put them in the box so he knows that is where poops go
Thanks alot! i'll give it a try and see what happens.
DirtyShisno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in