Will he ever like me? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2011, 07:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Will he ever like me?

I am so frustrated. I am afraid my hedgehog will never like me. Anytime I open the cage he huffs. Anytime I try to pick him up, he huffs. I have not been able to take him out of his cage on his own will. The only time I can take him out is when he is hiding in his fleece thing. When he sees me he tries to run away and hide under something The breeder said they handled them every day, but I have a feeling this isn't true. He seems to hate people in general. I read so many stories on here about how their hedgehogs like them, and I am sad mine wants nothing to do with me What can I do?
kytothelee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2011, 07:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Will he ever like me?

Hedgehogs are prey animals and will react to anything they think is a threat in its mind you are a threat until you prove otherwise and this can take days, weeks, months, and up to a year sometimes.

Some never socialize at all it happens even in breeder herds, even if he was handled everyday he has since been taken away from everything he knows and placed in a new environment.

To make it worse if you are avoiding handling him because he hisses and balls up you are only convincing him that his defenses are scaring you off and doing its job. Uses a fleece blanket or piece to pick him up and have his snuggle bag near by and let him explore your lap at his own pace of just sleep on or near you. This will build a bond of trust by letting him know you won't hurt him while he sleeps or his exploring, if he hisses and huffs don't deter from handling him and petting him it only enforces the idea that in his mind if he does this he will be left alone.

It is the owners job to build this trust and it will not come willingly usually. All the people your referring to including me are going through or have gone through this exact kind of circumstance with hedgehogs.

We must confirm to their whims more then they are ever likely to ours, however we as owners need to let them know they will be handled and its something they will have to deal with :P

Hedgehogs do not hate people they are naturally afraid because they are born prey animals, you just need to continue to be patience and give time and handling its process to show you are not a threat as time goes on you will get those little rewards that all owners love even if its the smallest of things. Sometimes they give and inch and then take back an entire foot of progress because well honestly who knows.

Hedgehogs are very unique individuals and each is different, but most can be socialized in some ways with time and love.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2011, 07:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

You've only had him for about a week or so. It takes MUCH longer than that for a hedgehog to start to act more friendly, and some may never be a friendly cuddly hog at all. Nearly 2 years later and my boy will still initially hiss and pop at me. They take a lot of patience.

Remember, he is in a completely new place, all the smells are different. He no longer smell or hears his family and nothing is familiar. Also, he should be quilling soon as well. So expect a rollercoaster of ups and downs as he matures and grows. Keep in mind that some may never be fully comfortable around humans, while some will love to snuggle.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 12:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

Hahaha, I remember I thought the same exact thing when I got Delia. Seems like it took her more time to learn to trust than it does for a baby to learn to crawl :P
Really, though, remember he's stressed. And the quilling process is headed your way. Hope you like it

Oh, and Delia still has hissy fits when we (oh, screw it, I. Nobody else dares to get her out of her cage) go to wake her. I'm grumpy when people try to wake me, too. Don't expect that to get better XD

Just keep trying and don't give up. Things will definitely work out
Old 08-19-2011, 03:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have had chloe since April and she is still the same. I dont notice the suttle differences till someone else is around and tries to handle her. My sister picked her up in her blanket and Chloe was sooo huffy and kept it up , but calmed when I took her back . It is frustrating but I feel your pain. She huffs and tries to poke me each and every day.. its what I call hedgie attitude lol
newfie_nurse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2011, 04:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks guys. I won't give up! Maybe if I bribe him with some apples...
kytothelee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in