I lost my daughter's hedgehog one hour ago - 1pm - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2015, 02:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I lost my daughter's hedgehog one hour ago - 1pm

I took him outside, in my front lawn when I was doing garden work, I though maybe he like to eat some worms in the field, but seems he did not see them, just hided under bush and later walked under shove. I went back house for 15 min., after I went out again, he was not there anymore. I could not find him anywhere. I even went to my neighbours drive way, lawn , not there at all. What can I do? He just came to my house 3 weeks and nevder been outside?
I live in Vaughan ontario.

Thansk
Yang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2015, 02:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Oh boy.

I hate to say it, but he's probably good as gone. Your mistake was walking away and not keeping a constant eye on him. Hedgehogs can move very quickly and cover a lot of ground. That being said, because it's day time, he likely tried to find a dark, hidden space and went to sleep. Your best bet at this point is crawling all throughout the under brush and hoping to stumble across him. Check underneath any decks and porches as well.

Frankly, you need to prepare yourself to break the news to your daughter. Ontario is rife with hawks, eagles, and owls, as well as outdoor cats. You need to get all hands on deck and find him ASAP
Old 09-26-2015, 02:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Never leave a hedgehog alone outside. They're not like dogs – they'll wander off, as you've seen. Birds of prey could snatch them while you're not looking or they could get poisoned by pesticides, other animal's feces, etc. It's a controversial subject on whether you should allow them to be outside or not.
Hedgehogs are nocturnal. He's probably hiding under something – check everywhere that he could possibly be. Under the car, inside a bush (they don't call them hedgehogs for nothing). Try putting out his favorite treat, like mealworms, if you have any (not earthworms or worms you've found outside because they may have been exposed to poison). Check everywhere. If you say you have a garden, have you checked all the plants, gardening supplies, etc? They are known to end up in places that shouldn't be physically possible for them to get to.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
WinterGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 03:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

My front driveway is open, so maybe he walked to neighours area, I searching everywhere many times already, and I also put his cage outside, his wheels inside and his favourite egg yok. I am worring if he walked too far from my house and does not known how to come back.
Old 09-26-2015, 03:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Unless you have a solid fence, possibly buried into the ground, the driveway may not have been his escape route.
As others said, check under EVERYTHING. Look for anything that looks like it may have been disturbed.
I don't think the cage being outside will work in this case unfortunately. He's got lots of freedom now, cage is really un appealing.
If after searching every place he could or couldn't hide you still don't find him, your best bet may be to wait until dusk and hope he's close enough you can hear him waking up.
You also may want to contact any local lost pets people, if local radio stations keep listings, craigslist things like that in the event he shows up in someone's yard.
nikki likes this.
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2015, 03:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

As I said before, call up any friends/neighbours you have and ask them to help. The longer you wait, the harder it's going to be, and sometimes other people can help you think of things you didn't before.
nikki likes this.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Its probably got less to do with him knowing how to get back than him not caring if he comes back or not. Unlike dogs and cats hedgehogs don't recognize a yard as being their home. You pretty much need to get down on your hands and knees and crawl to look under every tree, shrub, plant, bush and vehicle. You also need to do the same with any building he could have gotten in. Remember if a hole is big enough for his head that he can probably crawl through it.
Lilysmommy and octopushedge like this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2015, 06:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default my hedgehog missed

Acutally only one thing I am worring if he can survive outside since he never been outside
Old 09-26-2015, 06:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

It depends on the temperature, as long as its between about 74-78*F he won`t go into hibernation (which would be fatal) and as long as no dog, cat or other animal attacks it.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2015, 07:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

It getting dark now, but I still did not see him eat the food I put outside for him

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in