Hedgehog Central banner

Questions about quilling

2K views 5 replies 1 participant last post by  Guest 
#1 ·
I tried the search bar btw.

1. They quill at 4, 6 and 8 weeks right? Or do they quill at 12 to?

2. There isn't a set time for quilling, but is there an average time quilling lasts? I know "every hedgehog is different". But there has to be an average time or general time.

3. At what quilling can you tell the adult color? I've read different things on different places.

4. Which quilling is the "adult quilling"?

5. Does flaxseed help quilling or sunshine factor? Even if it doesn't, how much do you give them?

5. How often can you give oatmeal baths?

6. What is an oatmeal bath? Do you use oatmeal body wash or actual oatmeal? For my dog I use grinded oatmeal and milk to soak her. Do you let them soak in the oatmeal/soap? Do you just put soap/oatmeal in the water and let them walk in it?

G
#2 ·
Kaboodle said:
I tried the search bar btw.

1. They quill at 4, 6 and 8 weeks right? Or do they quill at 12 to?

2. There isn't a set time for quilling, but is there an average time quilling lasts? I know "every hedgehog is different". But there has to be an average time or general time.

3. At what quilling can you tell the adult color? I've read different things on different places.

4. Which quilling is the "adult quilling"?

5. Does flaxseed help quilling or sunshine factor? Even if it doesn't, how much do you give them?

5. How often can you give oatmeal baths?

6. What is an oatmeal bath? Do you use oatmeal body wash or actual oatmeal? For my dog I use grinded oatmeal and milk to soak her. Do you let them soak in the oatmeal/soap? Do you just put soap/oatmeal in the water and let them walk in it?
1) The stardard weeks are 4, 6 , 8, and 12 weeks and some go through a one year quilling process and some do not go through quilling until four or five months ot more some times it oes vary

2) I haven't heard of a set time for quilling either some are short and quick and others are long and like my girl Feral's.

3) Typically 9 weeks however I am sure there are exceptions

4) 8 and 12 are adult quilling

5) a few capsules on their back after a bath and then rinse and drizzling some on their food for Flax Seed Oil.

5) Depends on your hedgehogs dry skin issues oatmeal baths are wonderful for quilling relief and during quilling I give them one about every 10 days. I don't give them a full bath unless its needed or its quilling related. So basically on a need to do basis is the amount

6) You can use aveeno packets or you can put real oatmeal into a sock or other containable cloth item and place it in the water and squeeze to let the oatmeal seep into the water. The sock trick is nice in case the poop while bathing, I usually start a foot bath first to let them eliminate and then go to the full bath.

#3 ·
5) a few capsules on their back after a bath and then rinse and drizzling some on their food for Flax Seed Oil.
So I put a few capsules on her back after the bath, then rinse it off?? How would it help if I rinse it off? :|
How often do I put in on the food? Do I put 1 capsule or more? Do they come in different doses?

G
#4 ·
Kaboodle said:
So I put a few capsules on her back after the bath, then rinse it off?? How would it help if I rinse it off? :|
How often do I put in on the food? Do I put 1 capsule or more? Do they come in different doses?
The oil will soak in very quickly and evenly with a wet hedgie and you don't want an oily hedgie that will slip from your grip so a rinse a few seconds after the apply is the way to go.

You just poke a hole in the capsule and squeeze as for on the food it usually is around three or four on the food every few nights from what I've read of others and what I do

#5 ·
Is this what I'd use?

[attachment=0:w2k39day]6135.jpg[/attachment:w2k39day]

"Webber Naturals Flaxseed Oil, Certified Organic, Cold Pressed, 1000 mg, 210 softgels, $9.97.

Flaxseed Oil, 1000 mg from webber naturals is cold pressed and certified organic from Canadian-grown flax. High in lignans and omega-3 fatty acids. Research shows that omega-3 fatty acids may protect against cardiovascular disease because they help maintain healthy triglyceride and cholesterol levels."

Is it possible to overdose on it?

Attachments

G
#6 ·
Kaboodle said:
Is this what I'd use?

[attachment=0:1q3y70nk]6135.jpg[/attachment:1q3y70nk]

"Webber Naturals Flaxseed Oil, Certified Organic, Cold Pressed, 1000 mg, 210 softgels, $9.97.

Flaxseed Oil, 1000 mg from webber naturals is cold pressed and certified organic from Canadian-grown flax. High in lignans and omega-3 fatty acids. Research shows that omega-3 fatty acids may protect against cardiovascular disease because they help maintain healthy triglyceride and cholesterol levels."

Is it possible to overdose on it?
Not that I am aware some cat foods even have it in their ingredients, but as the saying goes too much of a good thing...

That is what you want :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.