Outside? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2011, 06:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Outside?

I was told outside was a great place for a hedgehog to wander around and run, as I do have a medium-large sized backyard.

Wouldn't this increase the risk of mites or fleas?

Do I have to block off an area or do i let him roam around with me watching him?

Can he go on grass, or the pavement?

Are there any increased risks of anything I should be worried about?
XarcZai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2011, 06:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Outside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XarcZai
I was told outside was a great place for a hedgehog to wander around and run, as I do have a medium-large sized backyard.

Wouldn't this increase the risk of mites or fleas?

Do I have to block off an area or do i let him roam around with me watching him?

Can he go on grass, or the pavement?

Are there any increased risks of anything I should be worried about?
Many hedgehogs love the new smells which come with outside exploration and letting them free roam is always a risk if your hedgehog decides to dart and run really fast. a lot of play areas are inexpensive and will allow for him to be out safely.

Stay close cause there are birds which will try to swoop down and take your hedgehog someone just posted a crow tried that.

Mites can be harbored in anything woods do it is possible, in addition monitor them closely cause insects ingested in the outside world could harbor pesticides in them, most love to anoint outside to the grass so if he does don't be surprised if a bit of green is in the next poop from gnawing on grass and plants and anointing.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2011, 07:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Would you recommend letting him out? Is it worth the risks? I could maybe just get some cardboard or something to block off the areas so he doesn't run somewhere I don't want him to.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Would you recommend letting him out? Is it worth the risks? I could maybe just get some cardboard or something to block off the areas so he doesn't run somewhere I don't want him to.
I let my girls go out and its really up to you, as long as the walls you use cannot be knocked over easily it should be fine hedgehogs can be pretty good at knocking things over

It might be good for your hedgehog to get outside under close supervision and maybe anoint to a few things. If you have any other animals that might eliminate in the back yard keep them away from it a hedgehog is known to anoint to other animals poop and that means bath time :P
Old 08-17-2011, 07:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

My mom is really worried about mites or fleas. What is the likelyness of them?
Old 08-17-2011, 07:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Mites can be harbored on anything wood they come in contact with it could even be something wood you bought at the store.

Fleas while they can end up on hedgehogs it isn't very common.

If your mom doesn't think you should I would respect her wishes on that There are plenty of ways for your hedgehog to have interaction otherwise, I know you mentioned he doesn't like his play area but what toys have you offer him in his play area?
Old 08-17-2011, 07:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWCOGAR
Quote:
Mites can be harbored on anything wood they come in contact with it could even be something wood you bought at the store.

If your mom doesn't think you should I would respect her wishes on that There are plenty of ways for your hedgehog to have interaction otherwise, I know you mentioned he doesn't like his play area but what toys have you offer him in his play area?
I don't have many but he doesn't touch anything.

TP Roll, hot wheels car, Dixie cup, Opened easter egg and a kleenex box with cuts on one end.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWCOGAR
Quote:

I don't have many but he doesn't touch anything.

TP Roll, hot wheels car, Dixie cup, Opened easter egg and a kleenex box with cuts on one end.
A clay flower pot is a hit with some hedgehogs, try putting the TP tube cut down the middle on your hedgehog carefully since he is a biter he might learn to like it if he realizes it. Some aren't as curious of toys but if they get stuck for a moment in it they get hooked.

Try putting some cat food or treat that you can hear inside the egg and roll it in front of them hedgies can get them open and will for food and it stimulates them.

If you freeze live crickets for a night (overnight they will die but the nutrients will be preserved) and then get them out and let them defrost a bit hide them around his cage to get him to explore and exercise some more it is stimulating and gives him a hunt experience.

If your mom can help you cut some fleece strips to stuff into the kleenex box he might enjoy burrowing into it, you can hide some dry treats in their to stimulate him to want to explore in there.

Also a PVC Pipe 4in from a hardware store such as Lowe's is something they usually love them and the elbows

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in