older male, baby female - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2011, 03:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy older male, baby female

i'm trying to slowly integrate my new female, shes probably a little over a month old and he's probably like 6 months old. But all he keeps trying to do is mate... I thought Bella was a boy when I bought her, but she's a she.. lol. anyways is there any way I could keep them in the same cage without him always bothering her? or is it just way out of the question?

I am prepared to get her everything she needs for her own cage, but when I was planning on buying another one I hoped to put them in the same one...

Any suggestions? lol
wahoobritney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2011, 03:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: older male, baby female

Separate them immediately a male will try to mate it is nature and your female being that young could be fatal and if she does make it through giving birth it can permanently stunt her growth because she's providing for babies.

A female and male only need a moment to mate and get knocked up and since females are induced it will only stand to sexually frustrate them to be near each other.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2011, 03:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

Obviously I don't have them together after the way he was acting. I would never put her in danger. I was just wondering if it COULD be done without them mating. But cool story bro

Old 08-17-2011, 03:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoobritney
Obviously I don't have them together after the way he was acting. I would never put her in danger. I was just wondering if it COULD be done without them mating. But cool story bro
Not sure what you mean by story, but if they are able to make contact the male will want to mate with the female and cause her to ovulate which can be dangerous to her health and frustrating to the male.

I am not trying to be mean or anything but by no means should you ever put a male and female together you will get babies because they will mate
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2011, 04:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

They were only together once. But Obvs I was right there the whole time cuz she's
So small. She is in a little cage right now... What I meant by buying her a cage was like a
Big one with her own wheel Abd all that ****. And they can be in the same room just not right beside eachother. But kbye cuz you don't give me any new info.thnx
Old 08-17-2011, 09:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
They were only together once. But Obvs I was right there the whole time cuz she's
So small. She is in a little cage right now... What I meant by buying her a cage was like a
Big one with her own wheel Abd all that S***. And they can be in the same room just not right beside eachother. But kbye cuz you don't give me any new info.thnx
Sorry, but TWCOGAR did nothing but give you the same advice that most people on this forum would give you, including some of the most experienced breeders.

Also, hedgehogs are mainly solitary animals... so I'm not sure why you keep wanting to house them together?

If you really wanted to try housing them together, you could get your female, or your male spayed/neutered, and then house them. But be prepared with an extra cage, etc. in case things go wrong. Most breeders here would suggest not to house any hedgehogs together, especially if they have not been housed together since birth, because there is a high probability that they will fight and end up seriously injuring one another.

No one is trying to attack you or criticize you here. We're answering the questions that you have asked. So please show other members the same amount of respect that we have shown to you
Old 08-17-2011, 09:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

You really don't have many options. Chances are since he has already shown he is interested in girls, he will always try to mate with the female when she is present. There are males that are less interested, but even those can suddenly decide they want to mate too.

I don't recommend it, but if you really want to house them together you will need to find a veterinarian that is experienced in hedgehog neutering. I have known a few people who have had their male hedgehog neutered so that he could live with a female. Neutering is not a quick and easy surgery like it is with dogs or cats. I have never inquired as to the cost for a neuter, but I would expect it to run a similar amount as to any surgery ($300-500). It is an invasive surgery, and I've been told by a few owners that their vet would not perform it as an elective surgery.

I was told once about you get the male neutered if you want him to live with a female. I was told it is better to neuter the male as an intact male is more likely to still harass a spayed female. I've never had a spayed female so cannot comment from my own experience as to how an intact male will react to them though.

I don't recommend neutering simply because it is a surgery and there are always risks of losing the animal when they have a surgery performed. I have always just found it easier just to have separate housing, and separate play times.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2011, 09:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Big one with her own wheel Abd all that S***. And they can be in the same room just not right beside eachother. But kbye cuz you don't give me any new info.thnx
Actually, TWCOGAR answered the exact question you asked. You asked if there was a way to keep them in the same cage without them mating, and TWCOGAR told you no, there absolutely is not. So, frankly, I'm not sure why you're being rather rude and dismissive. If he did not answer your exact question, then it would help if you provided us with more details.

If what you were asking was whether you can somehow keep the two of them in the same cage while you're getting a bigger cage for the girl, the answer is also no. For all the reasons TWCOGAR listed. Them being so close together isn't good for them, as she'll start ovulating and he'll get frustrated. Yes, they can be in the same room, just not beside each other. If she's in a little cage right now, that's fine until you get her the bigger cage. Just, unfortunately, you'll never be able to have both your hedgies out at the same time, because of the induced ovulation problem.

Hope that answers your questions. If not, then please clarify what you would like to know and we'll do our best to answer.

moothecow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2011, 10:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

How close do you feel is too close for cages?

See I actually disagree that you cannot keep them near each other. I have kept boys and girls in cages that were near each other for years. Unless she has changed her opinion recently, I know Nancy has also posted on here that her cages are stacked. She has kept boys above, below and in cages next to her girls as well. We both ensure that there are solid barriers, so that there is no chance of any contact between the bars or any chance of escape.

If you are using wire cages, just ensure that there is no chance of escape or that they can reach each other through the bars.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2011, 11:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

I would have responded with everything Kalandra has already said and yes, I have had and still do have boys and girls living above, below and beside each other. To do so, they must be in solid sided cages so there can be no direct contact such as reaching paws, noses or other parts through the bars. Cages need to both be 100% escape proof. No open topped cages when there are a male and female in the same room as some can be relentless in trying to escape to get to the other.

Boys sometimes show absolutely no interest in the girls until dark. My Merlin would hide in a corner from a pursuing girl, showing no interest at all until it was dark and the house was quiet. Obviously he wanted total privacy.

Unless neutered a boy will relentlessly pursue a girl, even a spayed girl to the point that she could turn on him. Personally, I would keep them in escape proof cages with separate play times because even if you do neuter him, there is no guarantee that they would get along. I also would not neuter a male just to house him with a girl as has Kalandra has mentioned, the surgery is involved and more risky than with a cat or dog.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in