Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Questions (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   older male, baby female (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11726)

moothecow 08-17-2011 11:32 AM

Re: older male, baby female

Oh sorry, I meant beside each other as in, in-the-same-cage kind of beside each other, not cages side-by side. I know some of you have hedgie rooms full of stacked cages, and that works just fine. Sorry for the confusion :)

wahoobritney 08-17-2011 02:41 PM

Thnx for the help guys, and he was just telling me all the same things I read. I did do my research that's why I hoped to get a young male instead of a female. I was looking for any new advice, and I got it from some ppl so thnx

smsaifyr 08-17-2011 03:03 PM

Well even if you had gotten a young male, you would need to have them in different cages, males cannot be housed together.

wahoobritney 08-17-2011 03:25 PM

I read that if you got young male and an older male they wouldnt fight for dominance because obvs murry would be the big one. and they would both be from the pet store so they have lived with many other hedgehogs...

08-17-2011 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wahoobritney
I read that if you got young male and an older male they wouldnt fight for dominance because obvs murry would be the big one. and they would both be from the pet store so they have lived with many other hedgehogs...

Your mistaken even if it doesn't happen immediately many long term experienced breeders will tell you males will almost always fight eventually.

Pet Shop Hedgehogs also tend to come from breeding mills where they are inbred and tend to harbor more aggressive tendencies at times. Just because they were housed together doesn't mean they all get along the pet store is going to remove injured or killed hedgehogs immediately so not to upset potential buyers when they see the hedgehogs.

Hedgehogs are solitary creatures and aside from rare exceptions don't seeks a friend, the only friend a hedgehog needs is its owner :)

In very rare cases hedgehogs form bonds with another and usually they are family and been together forever, even a short time apart can change things and even if they seem to get along doesn't mean they won't decide to fight over a food dish or a wheel.

While it doesn't always happen, most here at HHC prefer to follow a "Better Safe then Sorry" policy with such things.

wahoobritney 08-17-2011 03:57 PM

well thanx guys, i'm definitely keeping my bella then and spoiling her forever. i've already started giving them separate play times so everything will be great. thank youuuuu