Is a hedgehog right for me? - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2011, 04:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is a hedgehog right for me?

I know a lot about hedgehogs because I have friends that are obsessed with them and talking about them. They’ve made it very clear to me how to care for a hedgehog and basically said they’d kill me if I didn’t care for it right lol. I really want a hedgehog and have wanted one for a long time. The issue is I’m not sure if a hedgehog is right for me?

I’ll be travelling out of the country once a year and I’ll be spending a year (2014-15) aboard in Amsterdam for my 3rd year of university (hopefully). During the next 8 years, I’ll be out of the country for 20 months.

April-June 2012: France
July 2012: Austria, France, Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, England, Italy
May 2013: Portugal
August 2014-April 2015: Amsterdam (3rd University Year Aboard)
May 2016: Italy
May 2017: Spain
May 2018: Russia
June-August 2019: Switzerland/Germany/Denmark/Norway

I think the biggest issues are the 3 months in France, 8 months in Amsterdam and 3 months in Swizerland/Germany/Denmark/Norway.

If I have a friend/family member keep him/her would that be ok? Would she/he forget me? Would he/she ever trust me again? Should I just never get one?
Kaboodle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2011, 10:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Is a hedgehog right for me?

If you really want one no one can stop you. However I don't think right now is the right time. I think you should wait until you're done travelling to get any pet.
I'm so jealous of you and excited for you for your adventures so enjoy them! and when you come back perhaps then if you still want a hedgie then by all means look into getting one!
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2011, 10:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaboodle
I know a lot about hedgehogs because I have friends that are obsessed with them and talking about them. They’ve made it very clear to me how to care for a hedgehog and basically said they’d kill me if I didn’t care for it right lol. I really want a hedgehog and have wanted one for a long time. The issue is I’m not sure if a hedgehog is right for me?

I’ll be travelling out of the country once a year and I’ll be spending a year (2014-15) aboard in Amsterdam for my 3rd year of university (hopefully). During the next 8 years, I’ll be out of the country for 20 months.

April-June 2012: France
July 2012: Austria, France, Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, England, Italy
May 2013: Portugal
August 2014-April 2015: Amsterdam (3rd University Year Aboard)
May 2016: Italy
May 2017: Spain
May 2018: Russia
June-August 2019: Switzerland/Germany/Denmark/Norway

I think the biggest issues are the 3 months in France, 8 months in Amsterdam and 3 months in Swizerland/Germany/Denmark/Norway.

If I have a friend/family member keep him/her would that be ok? Would she/he forget me? Would he/she ever trust me again? Should I just never get one?
As was already stated if you really want one there is nothing stopping you however my opinion is that a Hedgehog is a different kind of animal and requires so much attention and care. Even friends/family can get tired, bored, or just plain scared of a hedgehog and begin to wain on its care. With all the requirements and you not being there often how willing would you be to pay for a vet bill if your hedgehog were to get sick while you're away?

Hedgehog care takes a lot of dedication and while I trust a lot of my friends and family unless they get the same attachment you do to your hedgehog things can go south in so many ways and If I were going that many places I wouldn't want to be stressing about my baby at home. (Hedgehog owners are very silly crazy about their babies me included)

This is just my opinion and I mean no offense, I would say when your travelling comes to an end a hedgehog will be much more suited for the both of you
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 10:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

I totally agree with Quinn. With all the traveling you are doing, it is not fair to the hedgehog nor your friend/family member. Just at the time when hedgehog would be reaching it's elder years, you will be gone and your friend/family member would end up caring for a elder and possibly ill hedgehog. Also, whose to say that come those dates, something may be going on in your friend/families lives that make them unable to care for your hedgehog.

Edited to add: Guess I was replying at the same time as TWOCGAR.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2011, 10:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

For starters, I'm a bit jealous of your travel schedule (and that you can plan it so far in advance!)... *sigh* I want to go to all of those places.

Now, as far as a hedgehog goes, I think, at the very least, you shouldn't get one before university is done. I will say that having someone dedicated and caring look after your hedgehog for a month may not be the end of the world (my parents took care of mine for a week when I was on vacation, and he was fine afterwards). However, 3 months or 8 months is too long... in the sense that you really would be asking someone to take on long-term care for your pet, which is a big commitment for someone to make,whether friend or family... especially since the hedgehog will be older and require medical care, etc (as others above me have pointed out). And yes, after 8 months away, you'd probably be quite a stranger to your hedgehog... and it would be stressful for a hedgehog to change homes so often..

Why don't you hold off until university is done? That way you can take advantage of long-term travelling opportunities without feeling guilty or constrained by a pet. And, who knows afterwards? Maybe you'll want to go to grad school and thus will be pretty put for a few years. Life circumstances change, and possibly you'll be in a place where you'll have time for a hedgehog! And if not... well, you get to travel to all these amazing places, which isn't a very bad tradeoff

moothecow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

I can tell you really love hedgehogs, but maybe you should stick to lovin' your friends babies until you settle down a little. When it comes to me, if I'm not positive I can be a proper mommy for an animal, I won't get it.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm going to have to agree with all of the above replies. While I can completely understand your desire to bring your own adorable little hedgie home (really, who could resist?!), it doesn't sound like it's the right time for you. It's nice that you have friends who are familiar with hedgehog care and would be willing to take care of yours when you are out of town. However, spending so much time with other people and not enough time with you could be a huge setback where bonding is concerned with your hedgehog. I wouldn't go as far as to say that you should never become a hedgehog owner, but if I were you I would personally wait until you are a bit more settled and doing less long-term travel.

lehaley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in