What should i do with the newborn without its mother? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2015, 11:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What should i do with the newborn without its mother?

Hi, I have bought my hedgehog 4 month ago. I didn't know it was pregnant when i bought it, I thought it was fat. Then 3 month ago my hedgy gave birth to 3 of little hedgy but she ate them all, i was upset and didn't know what to do until i read this website and i understand why. Then my hedgehog got pregnant again and she just gave birth this morning and she died but the baby is still alive. I'm not sure what to do with them and I'm worry sick, can you please help me I'm about to cry. :'(
Nina jaiphob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2015, 04:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Are there any sanctuaries near you? How did your hedgehog get pregnant a second time?
Pickles The Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2015, 05:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

A day old baby, there's likely nothing you can do. Hand raising hoglets is very seldom successful.

The best thing you can do for the future is to never allow a female to come into contact with a male. They will very likely get pregnant and losing the female is a major risk.
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 07:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

As stated before, hand raising is rarely successful. You might be able to have the baby fostered if you can find a willing breeder nearby with an available mother, but you'd likely have to move very, very quickly to do it.

Unfortunately, everything I've learned thus far -- and please keep in mind that I'm not an experienced breeder -- indicates that you should prepare to lose the baby because the odds just aren't with him/her. That being said, there's never harm in preparing for the worst while working toward and hoping for the best.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

If, for some reason, you don't have access to a sanctuary/hedgehog rescue/anyone else who's able to care for him properly (which would be much wiser than taking him/her on yourself), then I did some research on hand rearing. You might have already seen these links, but I'll include them just in case.

I'm not a breeder, and this is based off a few minutes of research. Please take what I say very lightly and if possible, research and call up some experienced feeders to confirm. But like everyone has said, please don't expect much. Babies are difficult enough to raise even when they do have a mother.

So, I found this formula online for hand rearing:
"There are some very important things to remember when hand raising babies! Warm only the amount of formula you need for each feeding. Never reheat or reuse formula, you will breed bad bacteria. Use a brand new heating pad! Babies need to be stimulated to go to the bathroom after every feeding because they are incapable of going on their own.

Hedgehog formula (hand feeding)
1 part Goat's milk Esbilac
1 part Puppy Esbilac
1 part Chamomile tea
1 part acidophilus (at about 3 weeks cut back on this)
1-2 parts water (depending on age)

Add baby rice cereal at about 2.5 3 weeks of age
Add canned pate at about 3.5 weeks of age
Provide a dish, at all times, crushed Baby Cat 34 at 4.5 weeks of age
"

The full article is here: https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/handfeed.shtml
I'm not sure how accurate this is compared to others but it seemed to work for this woman.
And you'll need to syringe-feed, probably with an attachment on the syringe to make it go through a smaller tube before reaching the baby's mouth so it can fit in their mouth. I believe this is called a butterfly attachment but someone correct me if I'm wrong!

One thing you also need to watch out for is bloating - this is deadly and caused by the babies swallowing too much air.
"One thing to watch out for in feeding baby hedgehogs, is that after each feeding you must stimulate them to defecate and urinate, otherwise their bladder and bowel will swell up and can even burst. To do this, simply stroke along their tummy towards the anus, which simulates a mother licking and grooming her babies. You can also do this with a warm damp tissue or cloth. The idea isn't to squeeze anything out, just to stimulate the baby to do it's business."
Gross, sorry, but it's their life we're talking about. That was taken from this article here: http://www.exoticnutrition.com/caforbahe.html, and it has other useful tips one hand rearing hedgehogs. However, that, I believe, is talking about European hedgehogs, so someone correct me again if that wouldn't apply with an APH.

Also - never give cow's milk to a hedgehog!! They're lactose intolerant and won't be able to process it as well as we do. Here's another link with more info: http://leicesterhedgehogrescue.co.uk/hand-rearing.html

Again, I'm not a breeder and have never hand reared a hedgehog. I didn't check the reliability of those links and I don't know if they are 100% accurate. Please do some more research IF you want to hand rear a hedgehog, because that's not nearly everything there is to it. But don't take it on if, like I said in the beginning, a more experienced person or organization can.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
WinterGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2019, 11:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hi there! Was wondering what your luck was with the little one? I had a similar experience happen to me with an unknown pregnancy. I am trying to hand rear the baby myself and its very difficult and time consuming. I am actually unemployed for the most part at the moment so its helped with being able to try and feed every 1-3 hours. I also make sure to try to stimulate for urine after each feeding. The baby is healthy in appearance (the vet said so) and seems to be taking well to eating kitten milk replacer. Also making sure to keep the baby nice and warm. So far so good after an estimated 48 hours of being around. If anyone has any more advice its for sure welcomed! The comment above is definitely super helpful!
hogluv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2019, 01:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Please check the date on a thread before posting. This thread is from 2015. If you have a question please start your own thread.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in