So I THOUGHT I had done research.... - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2009, 05:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default So I THOUGHT I had done research....

I decided to get a hedgehog (whom my husband has named Sonic... very original I know, lol). So beforehand I decided to do a little research to make sure he was the right pet for us, but apparently I didn't do enough, because being here has made me realise I have no idea what i am dong. I am up for all of it, but I am a little lost and I feel bad that I didn't learn all this before getting him. I have no idea what quilling is, I just found out that we have to bathe him. I have no idea about toys or snuggies. The pet store lady told me to by this bedding, but now i see I should have just bought fleece. Argh! I need as much help and advice as you guys can give me and I am sorry that I have to ask!
nikke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2009, 05:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
ana

Default Re: So I THOUGHT I had done research....

I would definitely recommend spending some time browsing all the sticky posts for starters! They're easy to find & it's a huge help... and, well, that's why they're stickied.

I'm a new hedgie owner myself, so I'm no expert or anything, but here are a few of the key things you should have:

- A wheel (i.e. flying saucer, bucket wheel... if you're DIY type, check out this page: http://www.hedgies.com/diy.htm)

- High quality "light" cat food that's high in protein and low in fat (most people use a mix of foods it seems). There's a list stickied in the Nutrition forum. (I feed mine Wellness - Healthy Weight & Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul - Adult Cat Light Formula)

- Water (Of course, lol... One of those heavy little ceramic food dishes works fine and is, from what I've gathered, preferable over the bottle since it's more natural and they can potentially chip their teeth on the metal straws found on most water bottles.)

- A hiding spot & place to sleep (i.e. one of those plastic igloos, perhaps a sleeping sack)

- Heat (Make sure you keep your hedgie warm! Preferably mid to high 70s.)

Oh, and for treats, mealworms are great!

As for bathing, I use one of the Aveeno brand no-tears baby shampoo/washes (and a soft bristled toothbrush for her quills)... Our hedgie is actually quilling right now and had really dry skin the first day as well, so I added a little bit of one of those oatmeal bath packets (again from the baby isle) and rinsed her with a bit of warm water and a few drops of flax seed oil to help moisturize... Make sure the water is warm - not cold, not hot - and not too deep, that you rinse him off well, and that you have a couple of warm, dry towels for afterward (one to dry him off, one for him to snuggle in for a while while he drys off the rest of the way). And, of course, avoid water in the ears/face. (If only washing our dog - a great dane, lol - was as fun/easy as our hedgie... :P )

Hope that helps!

p.s. IDK what I would have done without this place, lol... Everyone here has been SOOOO helpful. I wouldn't have known any of this stuff it wasn't for HHC and people like Nancy, smhufflepuff, LizardGirl, nikki, Reaper, etc... I'm sure I'm leaving folks out (sorry!) but yeah, so many people here are just so nice and friendly... <3
ana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2009, 06:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quilling happens a few times before a hedgehog turns one. The simple explanation is, they loose there quills They fall out and new ones grow. that is why some people don't know what color there hedgie will be until after the first quilling.
sagesmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 06:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

So his color could change? He is an Albino so I assumed he would stay white.
nikke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2009, 06:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Welcome to HHC! It's great to see you want to learn more about Sonic.

As ana said, reading stickies and other posts is probably the best way to get answers. Just searching the forum will come up with a ton of helpful information.

Good luck! and if you can't find the answer to something, never be afraid to ask.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2009, 09:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Nope. Albinos will never change color.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2009, 10:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Zalea Send a message via MSN to Zalea

You made a great step in coming to this forum. There is so much good information here.

What food did you get for him? Often pet stores will recommend "hedgehog food" but commercial hedgehog foods usually don't meet nutritional requirements. As ana said, there's a list of suitable foods located here: https://hedgehogcentral.com/forums/vi...c.php?f=6&t=15 It's best to get a mix of 2-3 of those going because that can get different sources of protein in, as well as give you a back up food in case the hedgie decides to stop eating one suddenly (some are really finicky).

Quilling usually starts between 8-12 weeks of age. New quills start poking through the skin and some of the old ones fall out--some hedgies lose more than others. You can buy a collodial oatmeal bath powder (the kind used for poison ivy in humans) to use in the bath. I actually still use that for my hedgie's bath time to help keep from drying his skin out--plus I had packets left from quilling and he doesn't seem to mind. I put a page together on my site about bathing if you'd like to take a look. http://sinister-intentions.net/hedgieinfo/bathing.html
I need to get some demonstrative pics up.

Like LizardGirl said, feel free to ask questions. We've all been where you are before, and there are many experienced breeders and owners here who can help.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

no, its pretty safe to say that your albino will stay its color! hehe
i have an albino too so welcome to the albino club!
sagesmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in