Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Lilysmommy
  • 1 Post By nikki
  • 1 Post By HipsterHedgie
  • 2 Post By octopushedge
  • 1 Post By Lilysmommy
  • 1 Post By twobytwopets

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2015, 12:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Lightbulb Jenga Block Staircase?

I posted another thread about my hedgie forgetting about me, and i wanted to give you guys an update..He's back to normal! He's super friendly again, I also brought him to a vet yesterday..There was nothing wrong with him, he was just quilling..He was surprisingly friendly towards the vet as well, really outgoing ..So thats my good news.

And so, before i got him I had his bin ready, Carolina storm wheel and everything..The only problem was i put the waterbottle so high.
I avoided drilling another hole in the bin so i kept using toilet paper rolls so he could step up and reach it..I decided not to use those anymore because it kept getting soggy ..so today i made a little staircase out of jenga blocks..is this safe or no? Its not incredibly high..4 steps to reach the water..I planned for it to be temporary until he gets big enough to reach it on his own..i used hot glue gun to stick it together (i made sure none of it stuck out for him to chew on)...its stable...I attached a picture of it ..please dont mind the skateboard...its not going to stay by the staircase lol the little one likes to push that around.. If this is not a good idea please let me know ..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150902_092958.jpg (154.2 KB, 26 views)
HipsterHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2015, 01:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Glad hedgie's doing better!

Have you tried using a water bowl for him? To be honest, I'd recommend giving him a water bowl to use instead, there are a lot of issues with water bottles. Some people still prefer them & they can have advantages, but most people prefer bowls.

I'm not sure about the stairs. One issue is they're wood, so if he pees near them, it could easily soak in & they would get pretty gross. The other issue is hedgehogs are clumsy and it's pretty narrow...I know it doesn't go very high at all, but hedgehogs are good at finding ways to hurt themselves! You could see how he does with it & leave this set up in while you see if he'll switch to a bowl (if you're willing to try that), but I don't think it'd be a very good longer-term solution, even just while he's growing.
HipsterHedgie likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2015, 03:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

I would switch to a bowl and not worry about him not being able to reach the water bottle. Water bottles are not recommended for a few reasons; they can chip their teeth on them, they don't drink as much from a bottle as they would from a bowl, they can cut their tongues (hedgehogs have actually had to have their tongues amputated after getting them stuck in the tube) and a hedgehog's body isn't designed to bend back the way they need to to drink from a bottle so it can be very uncomfortable for them. Bottles are also harder to keep clean than a bowl.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 07:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice and comments! I have not tried using a bowl because I seen videos of other hedgie owners and they recommended a bottle because they tend to spill it all the time, but if you 2 recommend water bowls then i will place one in there for him..you have good reasons not to use bottles lol good thing i discovered this site...i would have relied on youtube information x( thanks..
Lilysmommy likes this.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

I've honestly never had a problem with water bowls. The worst thing that's ever happened is maybe a week ago when my hedgehog dropped a toilet paper tube in the water bowl. I've never noticed any real spillage or anything though.

Youtube is not the best source for hedgehog information. Pretty much every care video I watch, I see at least one thing they're doing really badly. The problem with youtube is anyone can put a video up, but at least here we can correct each other.
Lilysmommy and HipsterHedgie like this.
octopushedge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2015, 07:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

If you use lightweight bowls they can get tipped. Heavy crocks.. The worst you get is hedgie soup. Food, poop, bedding, and maybe a toy.
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2015, 07:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Yeah, I hate youtube animal care videos. Anyone can make one & say what they want. As long as you use a heavy crock, it shouldn't be very easy for hedgie to tip it. If they still are (by burrowing under), just place the water dish off of the fleece liner so it won't get tipped. I think I remember someone (can't remember who, unfortunately) also had the fantastic idea of supergluing the water crock to a ceramic tile base to make it so hedgie couldn't tip it. That would work fantastically, I think.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2015, 09:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

I went to the petstore and got him a ceramic waterbowl. The little guy just pushed the staircase out of the way like it was nothing lol..no need for it now....man, hedgehogs are strong..and i agree, theres always one thing they are doing badly...one of the youtubers even mention hedgie food? And i heard from other places that it was all garbage because it doesnt provide all the nutrients a hedgehog needs.....a guy who owns an exotic petstore told me to never feed my hedgehog cat food because thats what causes alot of hedgie deaths "obesity"..but idk i didnt listen to him, i think he was trying to convince me to buy the hedgehog food he sells at his store -_- im really glad this website exists..
Old 09-02-2015, 10:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

It is true that a lot of hedgehog owners overfeed their hedgehogs because they look cute when they're fat. It's the #1 thing my vet says she says from hedgehogs. However that isn't the fault of the food but the owners.

I haven't seen a single hedgehog food that wasn't filled with crap. It's usually just variations on corn and rice with some random meat flavouring thrown in.
octopushedge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2015, 10:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

Remember octopushedge, those are better fillers than some others.
Hey speaking of hedgehog food, I think my brain break is over and I need to get back to work tomorrow.
octopushedge likes this.
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in