rash - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2011, 12:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default rash

Hi, so i had my boy out today and he has this really cute tendancy to rub himself up and down my arms unfortuantly this has been leaving red marks all up my arm where he has touch and its swelled up and took about and hour or two to go away. It was really uncomfotable

does anyone know why this is or what i can do to prevent it? i counldnt possibly be allergic to him could i?

thanks
brilloboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2011, 12:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: rash

Just a normal reaction to their quills I get it on my hands/arms sometimes and it dissipates shortly afterwards it is a bit annoying though XD
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2011, 12:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

I've heard of it before and some people have it to varying degrees. There have been a couple of isolated instances where I got an itchy feel if the quills poked me. For me I was able to put benedryl cream on those times and it cleared right up. I have heard that sometimes its what is on the quills that cause the reason since its so easy to get a tiny prick with the quills. Sometimes hedgies that are close to needing their bath will cause a reaction from stuff accumulated on their quills. Hedgie pee can cause reactions in some people too. My hedgie Sandra loves annointing and tends to get pretty messy so I have to keep a close eye on her so that I don't get an itchy feel when poked.

Sorry to hear that happened though, I know it must be irritating.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

It's quite a common reaction and usually happens as we are getting used to the quills. Sometimes it will continue and become an allergic reaction. Some hedgehogs cause it more than others and if you happen to use a loose type of bedding such as shavings or carefresh, it is more likely to happen. Some people find if hedgie is dirty it will happen. Over the years I've had a few that will do it to me.

If you are using shaving, carefresh or something like that, I recommend switching to cloth. If using cloth, double rinse and/or add some vinegar to the rinse water to cut the soap. What do you bath hedgie with? Try using just water. Sometimes it's what's on the quills that cause the reaction.

I used to keep a box of baby wipes handy and frequently wipe off my hands and arms or areas they were touching. It helped stop the reaction.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2011, 12:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

yes, i do have him on loose shavings and the plan is to move him over to cloth but im getting him a bigger and better cage and i want to get the proper sizes fist, and i do bath him in just water, and its funny cuse i just gave him a bath before this happened. Hopefully switching him over to cloth helps

thanks for the advice
brilloboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in