Doing our Research! - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #11 (permalink)

Default Re: Doing our Research!

These are good things to know. In our reading we came across that there pee didn't smell of ammonia. So that little tid bit of about bathroom duties when there younger was nice to know. That wouldn't be much of a concern but still nice to know.

Two people touched on quilling. Which we have read about. So let me ask you this. If we were to proceed should we be looking into an older hedgehog already through the quilling stage or just proceed with a young hedgehog?
Dadofthree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2011, 01:20 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadofthree
These are good things to know. In our reading we came across that there pee didn't smell of ammonia. So that little tid bit of about bathroom duties when there younger was nice to know. That wouldn't be much of a concern but still nice to know.

Two people touched on quilling. Which we have read about. So let me ask you this. If we were to proceed should we be looking into an older hedgehog already through the quilling stage or just proceed with a young hedgehog?
Either way is a good choice, just know taking an older one from someone usually carries more risk. Hedgehogs are a popular fad with most people thinking its just like a hamster and they are misinformed by bad breeders or pet shop that they are great for small children or its a buy cause its cute.

These hedgehogs tend to be unsocial and living in less then recommended environments however these hedgies can be given a good home and become wonderful pets.

Quilling is natural we just want to warn you its possible their personality could change it doesn't always happen and aside you'll learn that even if you get a huffy ball of quills that isn't keen on human interaction you will love the little one so much for it ^.^

Babies are a joy to watch grow I loved watching my tiny Feral grow and she still is right now
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2011, 01:25 PM   #13 (permalink)

Personally, for your first hedgehog I'd get a baby. That gives you a better opportunity to bond with them when they're really young. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying an older hedgehog isn't a good idea... frequently they can be great. An issue though, is that older hedgehogs can mean rescue hedgehogs. And rescue hedgehogs may come from a home where they weren't treated well and weren't taken care of, which would mean a hedgehog that is very grumpy, very shy, possibly with healthy issues, possibly on bad food, etc. Not always, not at all. But it's a possibility.

My suggestion would be to find a reputable breeder and get a baby. Yup, quilling can be a bother, but I think for new owners, the pros may outweigh the cons of getting a young hedgehog.

Then again, totally just my opinion. Let's see if anyone else weighs in with a different opinion

moothecow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 01:53 PM   #14 (permalink)

Welcome! Everyone has done a great job with advice and answers, so I don't have much to add in that vein. However, I recall seeing a post from a user a few days ago, who is looking to rehome her hedgie Paprika. Here's the thread: https://hedgehogcentral.com/forums/vi...111317#p111317

Paprika seems like she's had a wonderful home so far, and I think she comes with a set-up and everything, so it wouldn't be a rescue so much as it would be a rehome. She seems well-socialized (based on the pics of her not in a ball and sleeping adorably on her mommy). Also, she's located in Albany, I believe, which isn't too far from Binghamton. Plus, assuming you stayed an active member of the forum (please do, and post pics :P), her current owner would probably enjoy being able to stay updated on Paprika, because as we here all know, once a hedgie gets into your heart, it's there forever.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:33 PM   #15 (permalink)

Thank you for the suggestion. I posted in her thread and we'll see. I would need to talk with my wife and see what direction we really want to go.

Reading her story was so sad. I know we could give her a great home. Whats ironic is my 2 older daughters live in Albany. So we travel up there about once every other month. We will wait to hear from Paprika's owner and see were this takes us. Thank you again for pointing that out.

Oh and no worries about us staying active in the forum. I'm sure we will have lots of questions once we become parents and will need help from fellow members.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:22 PM   #16 (permalink)

I just wanted to say that it's so great that you are doing this for your daughter. It's wonderful that you are getting involved and doing your research, instead of just saying yes or no. I'm sure she appreciates it.

Also, hedgehogs are amazing little animals and so much fun to interact with, or even just observe. It sounds like you would provide a wonderful home for one.

This message was brought to you by Mildred the Hedgehog's slave, Hannah! ^.^
hanhan27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2011, 05:15 PM   #17 (permalink)

Welcome to the forum and I`m really glad you`re doing some research. Hedgies make wonderful pets but they`re definitely not for everyone. One issue that I don`t think anybody else mentionned is the fact that hedgies live on average 3 to 5 years and since your daughter is 16, she may be going to college away from home in a couple of years and may not be able to take her hedgie with her. You have to ask yourself if you`re prepared to take care of it yourself if she can`t anymore. I have a feeling you might since you seem very enthusiastic but I thought I`d mention it anyway.

Other than that, the major cons are set-up and vet costs (the set-up alone is several hundred dollars not counting the hedgie and you need a vet emergency fund of at least 300 $), daily cleaning of a poopy wheel and the possibility that your hedgie might never warm up to you. Also, hedgies are not like a dog or a cat, it can take months to gain their trust and get them to be confortable with you. It can get very discouraging but it`s also a great challenge and it`s incredibly rewarding every time they do something to show they trust you a little more.

Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2011, 06:05 PM   #18 (permalink)

We are definately up to the task of caring for the little guy or girl because we will be having emtpy nest syndrome .

My daughter has been reading all afternoon about the care of hedgehogs and espiecially Quilling. We want her to have a real good understanding about that in case the Hedgehog rejects her.

Thanks again for everyone posting there concerns and comments in this thread. I do understand about the financial aspect of ownership and I'm quite comfortable with the numbers I have seen so thanks for the advice there.

I guess just covering all basis if something doesn't work out with a hedgehog in our home are most breeders willing to take the hedgehog back at no cost? We wouldn't be concern about the money just that the little one would be cared for and a good home. I don't believe there would be an issue but we have to cover all bases.

As always thanks for your comments.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:07 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadofthree
We are definately up to the task of caring for the little guy or girl because we will be having emtpy nest syndrome .

My daughter has been reading all afternoon about the care of hedgehogs and espiecially Quilling. We want her to have a real good understanding about that in case the Hedgehog rejects her.

Thanks again for everyone posting there concerns and comments in this thread. I do understand about the financial aspect of ownership and I'm quite comfortable with the numbers I have seen so thanks for the advice there.

I guess just covering all basis if something doesn't work out with a hedgehog in our home are most breeders willing to take the hedgehog back at no cost? We wouldn't be concern about the money just that the little one would be cared for and a good home. I don't believe there would be an issue but we have to cover all bases.

As always thanks for your comments.
For the most part a good breeder will require you return them if it doesn't work out however I know some go the other extreme and will not allow a hedgehog to come back.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2011, 06:09 PM   #20 (permalink)

Wow.
What a dad/family/kid!!

Can't wait to hear what you decide...did anyone mention you must post pics at least weekly? Or else we come to your home and pet your hedgie. Just sayin'...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in