Hedgehog won't eat!!! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree17Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2015, 11:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgehog won't eat!!!

My husband and I were on vacation for a week, and my parents followed my instructions explicitly for caring for our two hogs. They were fine when we got back. My dad said that the oldest didn't eat as much as the youngest, and that was typical, so I didn't think anything of it.

We had to travel 5 hours to get home (we travel during the day so we don't disrupt their sleeping cycles), and now they're in their original cages (2x3 C&C cages). I'm freaking out now because my oldest has not eaten at all since we got back on Sunday, and hasn't had much to drink from what I can see. Last night she pulled a bunch of pieces out of her bowl (I feed them blue buffalo adult formula), but only two or three seemed to have been slightly chewed. I tried softening the food...nothing. I tried syringe feeding her the soft food...spit it all out. She peed and pooped, but her poop is pretty dark green and slimy. Probably a red flag.

I just spent six months and hundreds of dollars on my youngest's mystery skin condition (which we still don't have answers for) so my vet fund is slim right now. I want to take her in, but I'm worried that our vet will leave me with no answers again. They're an exotic specialty veterinarian, and the only one in my city....I don't have too much else of a choice.

I'm going to try meal worms and crickets today and hope for the best. I also want to buy some Benebac to hopefully aid with any digestion issues, as we've used it before (prescribed by our vet during a previous URI) but if anyone else has any suggestions, I'll take them.
pixieperf is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2015, 11:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

It's Thursday, so if your hedgehog hasn't eaten since Sunday, you are in an emergency situation. A visit to the vet is not optional.

You absolutely must call your vet, let them know what's going on, and have them see her as soon as possible.

In the meantime, you need to get some food into her. Don't worry as much about nutritional value as you do appeal. High fat, wet cat food is a good place to start. Chances are, Blue Buffalo makes a wet version of your current kibble, but you don't necessarily have to start with that. You also need to syringe water if they're not drinking (though wet cat food will help with dehydration, as well).

To be very honest, since it's been 4-5 days, your hedgehog is most likely extremely ill, and you may want to prepare yourself for a lack of recovery. But the most important things are getting food into them and getting to the vet.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

She has an appointment for 1:30 today. Thanks for the brutal honesty...I love being told to not expect my hedgehog, whom I've had for over three years, will likely not recover, or have extreme difficulties trying. Makes me feel like a real winner.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ok, how are you determining your older hedgehog isn't eating? Counting kibble, weight, or eyeballing it?
Reality of the situation if in fact she hadn't eaten since, at the earliest, Sunday she is in rough shape. There isn't a gentle way to put it.
twobytwopets is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2015, 12:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

She normally leaves plenty of crumbs in her bowl, and it's obvious when she eats. This time, barely anything has been touched. Last night, nothing at all.

I shouldn't have posted. The last time I posted, I was ignored, and when I posted in another thread out of desperation for answers, I was chewed out by an admin. I'm done here. She has an appointment at 1:30.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

I apologize if honesty wasn't what you're looking for.

To be honest, I could have been much more harsh, but it wasn't necessary. It wouldn't have helped your hedgehog, and that is my primary concern. I wasn't because I know that life happens. I get it. I'm not perfect; no one is.

But at the same time, your hedgehog is probably in bad shape, and I was trying to kindly prepare you for that.

At any rate, that has little to do with the topic at hand. I'm sorry your experience here hasn't been the best, and I'm sorry your feelings were hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieperf View Post
She has an appointment for 1:30 today. Thanks for the brutal honesty...I love being told to not expect my hedgehog, whom I've had for over three years, will likely not recover, or have extreme difficulties trying. Makes me feel like a real winner.
octopushedge likes this.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieperf View Post
I shouldn't have posted. The last time I posted, I was ignored, and when I posted in another thread out of desperation for answers, I was chewed out by an admin. I'm done here. She has an appointment at 1:30.
I don't know what you're expecting of us. I took a look at your post history and you seem to get upset if no one answers within a day. This is a niche forum with few regular members (I can only think of four off the top of my head). If it's urgent enough that you need an immediate answer, you should see a vet. If it's not, be patient.

As for this thread, what did you want people to say? "Your hedgehog will recover on its own and everything will be fine"?
octopushedge is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2015, 03:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

There would be no point in me posting if my expectations were to be told that nothing is wrong. I wanted help deciding if this was urgent enough to take her in, or if anyone had any advice on what I could do myself.

All anyone had to say was "This sounds urgent. Take her in." The part where I was practically told that I shouldn't be hopeful for hee recovery wasn't needed.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

The issue with just saying yes she needs to see a vet is it leaves room for a reader to debate if it's warranted. Or... ok, she needs to see the vet, I'm off work next Friday I'll schedule an appointment for then. A person needs to understand the severity of a situation in order to make fully informed decisions.
octopushedge likes this.
twobytwopets is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2015, 04:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

First off, Mel didn't say anything wrong. She was right with what she said - hedgehogs do badly without food for more than a day or two. Sometimes they do perfectly fine & bounce back once the problem is taken care of or once they're syringe-fed. Sometimes it's been too long, they're very weak from not eating, and they have a much more difficult time regaining their strength. If they are actually ill & that caused them to stop eating, the lack of eating can really hurt their chances of overcoming the illness. All she was trying to do with her post was explain the severity of the situation, confirm that yes, a vet visit is needed quickly, food is also needed quickly, and what to expect from the situation. There was no shaming in her post - she was simply informing you what the level of seriousness is with this situation.

And I'm going to preface this next part with no offense, but... It's really hard to tell tone with text! It really is. And when there's nothing to go off from with the text, people tend to read into it & sometimes will have their own emotions influencing the text. You're upset & worried about your hedgehog, so you were upset at being told how severe the situation is. We understand that - but it's not the fault of those who are taking the time to answer your question & try to help. We're not the bad guys, and we're not trying to shame you. I'd love for you to stay on the forum and continue to be part of our community here, but everyone who's on the forum needs to keep in mind that people are here to help. We don't have to help, and we're not paid to spend our time on here & answer questions. When you post on the forum, you need to understand that. You won't get an answer right away. Sometimes the answers won't be what you want. That still doesn't give you license to snap at those who are trying to help, or get upset because you don't like the answers.

Regarding your previous post, you were not chewed out. Again, reading too much into the text. Kalandra let you know what the rules were, shut the thread, and let you know what to do in order to receive advice - bump your original thread. And I mentioned in another thread of yours that the forum should not be relied on for health issues. No one on here is a vet (or if they are, I don't know about it). We can't see your hedgehog, we can't diagnose. If you're concerned, the best thing to do really is to just call your vet & see what they think. The forum is here for second opinions if you're unsure, but there aren't always people qualified to answer around, and it's not a good idea to rely on the forum for that, or to get upset when it doesn't meet your expectations.

(And to be perfectly honest, this forum is by FAR the most active one I've been on. I've been on a bearded dragon forum, budgie forum, quaker parrot forum, betta fish forum, and I'm currently on a hermit crab forum. None of them have nearly as many posts per day or people answering questions as this one does. I actually have a lot of pride in how many people are on this forum each day, getting and giving answers, and how quickly most threads receive replies.)

That all said, if this forum isn't right for you, then that's that. We'd love to have you here, but as I said, you cannot snap at people if you don't like their answer, and you cannot expect instant answers. Sometimes it takes a day or two to get an answer. If it's an emergency, call the vet. If you're pretty sure you need the vet, but you're not convinced, call the vet. If you're upset, it's probably best not to check answers on your thread until you're in a calmer frame of mind. I do hope that you decide to stay part of the forum, and I hope that your vet is able to help your hedgehog. I'll keep her and you in my thoughts that she will recover quickly.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in