Hedgehog won't eat!!! - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree17Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2015, 04:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Meant to add...if you were feeling defensive because of how long she went without eating, no one was shaming you over that. You wouldn't be the first person who didn't know that hedgehogs shouldn't go more than a day or two without eating, and you won't be the last. For some other animals (like dogs, which are one of the most common pets), they won't have a serious health issue with not eating for a couple/few days in a row. But for other animals, like small mammals, it's just not safe. They're designed to eat frequently & they need that constant energy input. That's why it's such an issue for hedgehogs to go 4-5+ days without eating. It starts to cause health issues & can make existing ones even worse. It's just something to be aware of for next time, so that you know to start syringe-feeding after the first night, maybe two, of not eating much or at all, and to stick with the syringe feeding even if the hedgehog resists.

Edit: If you're unsure about what to have your vet check out, since "not eating" as the only symptom can be pretty vague, I would personally have the poop checked for an infections/issues, and have the teeth/mouth checked in case there's a mouth issue making her not want to chew. While you're at the vet's, I would also ask for either Carnivore Care or Hills A/D. Both are foods meant for syringing to sick animals & usually they're well-received. If you're not sure which she might like better, you could try getting some of both so you can see if she'll eat better with one over the other. See if your vet will give you a variety of syringe sizes too. Some hedgehogs do better with larger syringes since they get on a roll & then fuss when you have to take it away to refill & stop eating. I had better luck using 1ml syringes with Lily & just having 3-4 prepared at a time so I could quickly switch. I couldn't control the amount of food that came out of the larger syringes very well & would shoot too much in her mouth, she'd choke a bit, then (understandably) get upset & not want to eat more.
writergirlmel likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12

Last edited by Lilysmommy; 08-20-2015 at 04:30 PM.
Lilysmommy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2015, 04:42 PM   #12 (permalink)

What is the point of the forum, then? What is the point in having health and medical threads if we should only take advice from a vet? I saw this forum as a group of hedgehog owners that I could ask for advice in areas where I don't have experience. I wanted to see if there was anything else I could try before I took her to the vet, and I got a condescending response and was told that I should have only consulted a vet.

I'm just going to delete my account.
pixieperf is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2015, 04:55 PM   #13 (permalink)

I will post this for others who come across this thread in the future.
Yes it's nice to have the health section on the forum. However some times the only advice am experienced owner, breeder, or rescuer has is that the animal needs taken to a vet. It is no different than calling your mother or grandmother for help with a sick baby, they might mention that it's time to go to the emergency room.
twobytwopets is offline   Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 05:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Moderator

*shrugs* Alright, fine. Clearly our forum is mean, unhelpful, condescending, and all of that only when we're not deliberately ignoring you. Sorry we wasted our time & efforts only to upset you and be insulted. I hope your hedgehog recovers and starts eating well again.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2015, 05:14 PM   #15 (permalink)

At the very least this thread will help people who may have the same question in the future.
octopushedge is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2015, 12:23 AM   #16 (permalink)

It's the same as calling my mom or grandmother? Are mothers and grandmothers also supposed to say things that imply that there's no hope even if I do take their advice? I call my mom for help with my baby and she says, "Oh well they probably won't recover even if you take them to the doctor, bye"? I don't think so. Again, I would have had ZERO problem if the response was only telling me it was imperative to get her to the vet. It became negative when I was told to basically give up hope BEFORE I got a PROFESSIONAL opinion. You all said it yourselves. You're not vets. So maybe you shouldn't tell people what the outcome will be if you are not a vet. All I asked for was help knowing if this was an emergency. I didn't ask for a psychic reading of what might happen no matter what I do.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:29 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobytwopets View Post
The issue with just saying yes she needs to see a vet is it leaves room for a reader to debate if it's warranted. Or... ok, she needs to see the vet, I'm off work next Friday I'll schedule an appointment for then. A person needs to understand the severity of a situation in order to make fully informed decisions.
I wouldn't have asked if this was an emergency if I didn't have plans to get her in as soon as possible if it was. Like I said in my previous post: I asked if it was an emergency or not. I did not ask for someone to tell me that I shouldn't get my hopes up no matter what I do. If you want to push the severity of an emergency, it doesn't help to say something along the lines of "damned if you do, damned if you don't."
Old 08-21-2015, 12:41 AM   #18 (permalink)

For someone who is "done" with the forum and wants to delete their account, you sure are hanging around to argue lot. Everyone here has explained their reasoning and given you all the advice we can. I realize you're probably very stressed due to the circumstances, but you are flying off the handle and being extremely aggressive towards people who have done nothing but try to help you and your hedgehog. Nobody here is getting paid to help people. You don't get to demand advice from members and then throw a fit when it isn't what you wanted.

Last edited by octopushedge; 08-21-2015 at 12:43 AM.
octopushedge is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2015, 12:42 AM   #19 (permalink)

How do you people think someone will react when they ask for advice, and they're told to not get their hopes up for recovery? I'm not entirely sure why it seems so ridiculous to you all that I got upset. I would NEVER say something like that to any pet owner because 1) it's mean, and no one deserves additional stress when they're already worried about something, and 2) I'm not a freaking veterinarian and I know better than to throw my uneducated opinion around as fact.

My hedgehog had a mass in her mouth that is being tested for cancer currently. It came out with no problem at all, and she started eating soft food hours after it was removed. The doctor said it looked more like a scrape that got infected, rather than a tumor. She said I probably don't have anything to worry about, especially now that she's eating. So Miss Dont-Get-Your-Hopes-Up can hopefully learn that she DOESN'T know everything and can't see into the future. And she should be relieved that I won't be back, because I sure learned my lesson from this.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:44 AM   #20 (permalink)

Came back to delete my account and saw I had responses, and I didn't want you to think I had zero reason to be angry, because the impression is that I'm "flying off the handle" for no reason. Now you know. And I hope none of you do this to anyone else.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in