New Owner Random Questions - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2011, 01:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Owner Random Questions

Hi all! I got my hedgehog today, and I already love him! He is almost a year old, and hes a lot bigger than I thought he would be! But hes sooo cool.

He has a big cage, I believe its a ferret cage, its pretty tall so I was thinking of putting an "upstairs" in...do you guys find that your hedgehogs actually go to an upstairs or is that just a waste of my time? haha I know that I need to make sure its enclosed and that he cant fall off the sides and such, but I don't want to waste my money on that if other things will be more fun for him.

He came with a water bottle, and it dripped on the ground, and I noticed he was licking it off the ground so i got him a bowl of water... and he used that so I was really excited since a lot of people on here recommend the bowl. Do you think I should take the water bottle away immediately or wait?

Also he has never had a wheel before (so sad!) so I bought him a green sparkly one from Carolina Storm Wheels, and it should be here tomorrow! Any advice on getting him to use it? I read that i should just sorta block him onto it and see if he goes? hahaha

Sorry this is so long!! One last question! I know that I read about putting a shirt I wear in his house so he can get my smell...and he has a little sack that I made him to sleep in...I'm kind of confused about where to put it...do I take the shirt out after a few days and put the sack in his igloo to sleep? Or do I just put it next to it?
Thanks everyone!

Old 08-05-2011, 01:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: New Owner Random Questions

Question 1: Should I add an enclosed upstairs for my hedgehog?

Answer 1: Some hedgehogs will not use an upstairs area, it is still very popular for many hedgehog owners and they do so, if you do I recommend doing so at minimal expense if possible just in case your hedgehog decides they will not use it.

Question 2: Should I remove the water bottle because he immediately took to the water bowl?

Answer 2: would leave the bottle directly over the bowl and have both readily available until you can confirm the bowl being used consistently. Remember to always was the bowl and change out the water each day, especially depending on if you have a messy hedgehog or use a bedding instead of fleece.

Question 3: He has never had a wheel before, how can I entice him to use it?

Answer 3: That depends some hedgehogs even older ones without ever seeing a wheel can take to it immediately on their own. Others need to be placed on and kind of blocked to get them to realize what it is for. Others still need a gentle rocking of the wheel with them in it to realize what the purpose of it is.

Some hedgehogs have been known not to take to a wheel and instead will take to the flying saucer and if that doesn't work it will just mean increased play time for your hedgehog to move/explore

Question 4: Should I place my worn T-shirt or hedgie bag in the house?

T-shirts worn for a day or two can be wonderful for bonding, I would once you confirm there are no loose threads place it in your hedgehogs house and let them snuggle in the shirt. Sleep with the hedgie bag for a few days and use the hedgie bag for bonding time outside so that they can feel secure as most hedgehogs like the idea of having a shelter to hide in until they feel comfortable or safe.

Those are my opinions on your questions
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2011, 03:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

Congrats on your new guy! I agree with TWCOGAR for the most part on your questions: yep, shouldn't be that much investment in seeing if he'll use an upstairs, waterbottle IMO can go as soon as you know he will drink from the dish, the wheel he'll likely pick up on his own, otherwise you can try blocking him on it with your hand, and in the attempts to go around you, he'll walk a bit and get the hang of it. As for the shirt, yep, just make sure it smells like you and you can put it in the igloo along with the sleeping sack.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 12:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

I got my wheel today! He didnt seem to like it at first and just kept trying to walk around it... but he finally went in it and he seems to really like it! He keeps getting off and going back to it! Hes kind of awkward tho ahhaha do they get better at it?! I'm going to post pictures of him soon, he still covers up if you move, and when his face is out hes moving too fast to snap the picture haha!
Old 08-06-2011, 01:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Looks like some others have covered your questions pretty well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdepu1
I'm going to post pictures of him soon, he still covers up if you move, and when his face is out hes moving too fast to snap the picture haha!
This.... is SO true They either hide from cameras behind spikes or are moving too fast to capture Good luck getting some nice shots though! I wanna see this silly guy ....Does he have a name?

As for him getting in and out of the wheel... does he run when he is in it? Or does he just hop in and out? It sounds like he could just warming up to it, especially if he's a year old and has never had one
Old 08-06-2011, 02:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
PJM
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdepu1
Hes kind of awkward tho ahhaha do they get better at it?!
Yeah, he'll get the hang of it.

PJM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2011, 04:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Oh I didn't say his name! I named him Gusgus like the little mouse in Cinderella haha.... okay I am going to attempt to upload a picture of him, I snuck in at night when he was out and caught a quick pic of him...the only way to catch his little face!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 016.JPG (126.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 08-09-2011, 06:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Aww he's so cute!! And that name is adorable. I love it. <3

Can I recommend getting a litter box that fits under the wheel? They tend to poop and stuff on the wheel and it will fall into it. It should make your life easier. I get my litter boxes from the dollar store it's one of those aluminum cooking things. I replace it every few months and like I said a dollar a piece you can't go wrong. :3

RIP Opal <3
Buy 2012 hedgehog calendar here: http://www.lulu.com/product/calendar/20 ... r/18714080
Join Hedgehog Happenings on Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/groups/hedgehoghappenings/
ShutUpAndSmile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2011, 08:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks and thats such a good idea!! I totally didn't think of it either I was thinking hmmm maybe i shoud put some paper towels down or something. One of those pan things is such a better idea!! He also just got a new bigger better cage with spiderman fabric to make him feel manly since I got him a glittery wheel and igloo. hehehe
Old 08-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

lol glad I could help
Psht glitter can so be manly D; But spiderman fabric sounds like fun =O <3

RIP Opal <3
Buy 2012 hedgehog calendar here: http://www.lulu.com/product/calendar/20 ... r/18714080
Join Hedgehog Happenings on Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/groups/hedgehoghappenings/
ShutUpAndSmile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in