Keeping warm enough?? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2011, 02:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Keeping warm enough??

I've looked at some boards about heating a cage, but they are so overwhelming! So many options, I don't know what to do :-/ I will have a wire cage that is 40.5 inches long from super pet, the bottom is plastic. What kind of heat source should I get for that kind of cage? Will the plastic melt? It's summer so our apartment gets ungodly hot, so once in awhile we turn the AC on. How can I make sure my hedgehog is warm enough when the AC is on? I don't have my baby yet (I get him or her August 12th) Should I make its igloo warmer by adding extra fleece or stuffing? Or something? I just don't want my baby to go into hibernation If anyone could give me a link to for a product to buy that would be great as well! Oh! And how do I measure the overall heat of the cage with a digital therm? Where do I put it?

Thanks for your help!!
kytothelee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2011, 02:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Keeping warm enough??

In my opinion, a ceramic heat emitter is the best option. It won't melt the plastic.

For ceramic heat emitters:

You need to buy:

-A ceramic heat emitter bulb (100-150W). Depending on how cold your house gets, you may need two.
-A 10" black dome for the bulb to be screwed into (1 per bulb) - They come in other sizes, but 10" spread the heat out more. You can also get wire ones, but they don't work as well because the heat escapes.
-A thermostat. You plug the dome into this, and it will control the temperature. When the temperature drops below the set temperature, the thermostat will turn the CHE on. When the temperature rises above the set temperature, the thermostat will turn the CHE off. It's sort of a "set it and forget it" thing.
-A thermometer. Preferably 2, so you can put one at each end of the cage.
CanadienHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2011, 02:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

Also, here's a thread to check out. I made a most on here (3rd post) about this with links. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12291
CanadienHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 02:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

Planning in advance is GOOD I still need to get a CHE also...it's gross warm here right now so plan is to get that all set up before the weather changes. Prep wise while making fleece liners and such I have deliberately made covers for hidey-houses, pads for under them, extra fleece strips & blankets for snuggling in and soon to make a cage insulating wrap just in case I might need it. I have a heater set up that has not been required yet and a 6 hr battery back up in case of a power outage that my CHE and light can plug into and will run automatic if power goes out.

If 6 hr battery time goes by I have a small cooler to store bottles filled with water from my hotwater tank during that time until I may need to use it for Hazel with those hand warmer things (I got the ones that last up to 8 hrs)... if a power outage goes beyond 14 hrs I guess she gets to snooze in my shirt
Hissy-Fit-Hazel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2011, 06:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

Can I get something like that at any pet store? Such as pet smart? Will they know what I am talking about? will they think I am a nut? lol!
Old 08-03-2011, 01:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Most pet supply places will have some of the items... see this sticky in housing.

https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...php?f=8&t=4579 It explains all that is needed. It was very helpful for me The thermostats / timers you can find at hardware stores too.
Hissy-Fit-Hazel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2011, 05:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks so much! I actually use to work at a hardware store that had a pet dept and we were voted one of the best places to get pets in town because of how knowledgeable our staff was! We didn't carry hedgehogs though

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in