Introducing - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2011, 02:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Introducing

I'm sorry for spamming the forums, guys.
I have lots of questions. I hope I'm not being a nuisance to anyone.
heh.
^___^'

So, here's my current situation, anyways.
Obviously people know I have a hedgehog. I talk about her all the time now and have pictures of her up on my websites. :P
The issue is, is that a lot of people I know (ie: family & friends) want to see her up close & personal.

Which would be fine, if I wasn't so worried about it.
She's still so new to my home and she's still getting used to me and my scent alone.
(With which so far I've been blessed because she's putting a lot of trust in me, it seems)

What should I do?
Should I let other people touch her or tell them just to look through her cage and leave her be?

Old 08-01-2011, 02:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Introducing

Interaction with other people isn't a bad thing make sure you are the one to get her out and handle her and make sure they understand exactly what they need to do and that she will likely huff and puff and pop around large crowds (especially if there is light, which is unavoidable usually). It should not cause an issue but I would let people handle her with you right there and while they are sitting down or close to the floor to prevent any accidental drops of your hedgehog.

More human interaction as long as it is moderate and they don't talk loud or do something to scare her it can be helpful.

Make sure they all wash their hands well first a hedgehog might bite a hand that smells like something tasty like chicken or a cheeseburger
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2011, 03:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWCOGAR
Interaction with other people isn't a bad thing make sure you are the one to get her out and handle her and make sure they understand exactly what they need to do and that she will likely huff and puff and pop around large crowds (especially if there is light, which is unavoidable usually). It should not cause an issue but I would let people handle her with you right there and while they are sitting down or close to the floor to prevent any accidental drops of your hedgehog.

More human interaction as long as it is moderate and they don't talk loud or do something to scare her it can be helpful.

Make sure they all wash their hands well first a hedgehog might bite a hand that smells like something tasty like chicken or a cheeseburger
Okay, thanks. :P
I'd be supervising them anyways, no matter what.
I'm too afraid something will happen to her.

And I have a bottle of unscented hand sanitizer next to her cage for before and after handling.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
PJM
Rescue

I think it's a great idea to let the friends & family meet her! I've introduced our hedgies to many of our friends & their kids, in addition to about 60 kindergarteners.

When someone comes to the house I will either let them come in with me to the hedgie room, watch me get them out or I will have them sit in the dining room & I'll bring out hedgies one at a time.

I'll make sure they are sitting down & give them a towel or blanket to cover their lap with. Cholla especially likes to poop on guests. He must think it's funny.

Then I sit next to them & hold the hedgie. Put it on the towel & let them pet him if they want. If the hedgie gets upset (like our Pepper), I don't keep them out too long, but I do feel like it's good for people to see them cranky too. They're usually like "awe, cute grouchy hedgie"

So don't be too worried, just see how it goes. You will get a feel for what she can do & for how long.

Let us know how it goes!

PJM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2011, 04:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Well, I picked her up today and she started climbing up my shirt.
Which isn't a big deal, but when I grabbed her to pull me off of her she pooped all over me!

I literally squeezed the poop out of her.
I didn't squeeze her that hard, but did I squeeze her too hard?
Or is it normal?
Old 08-01-2011, 04:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

haha she was probably in the process of pooping when you grabbed her, most hedgehogs spread their backlegs and put their front legs together and their tail raises so they can drop their business.

try to let you hedgehog do their business when you wake them up in their cage first, but if it happens it happens most will stop from what I've heard Celeste has rarely done it, but Feral well she loves to poop and pee on me lol
Old 08-01-2011, 08:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
haha she was probably in the process of pooping when you grabbed her, most hedgehogs spread their backlegs and put their front legs together and their tail raises so they can drop their business.

try to let you hedgehog do their business when you wake them up in their cage first, but if it happens it happens most will stop from what I've heard Celeste has rarely done it, but Feral well she loves to poop and pee on me lol
I took her out to check on her, and I let her on my lap.
She made many poopy messes on my pajama pants.

I just want to make sure I didn't hurt her when I squeezed her.
I know she's still a baby, so I don't know how durable their bodies are.

Like I said before, I didn't squeeze her very hard, but hard enough for her to poop because of it!
I must've just scared her or something.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicGems
Quote:

I took her out to check on her, and I let her on my lap.
She made many poopy messes on my pajama pants.

I just want to make sure I didn't hurt her when I squeezed her.
I know she's still a baby, so I don't know how durable their bodies are.

Like I said before, I didn't squeeze her very hard, but hard enough for her to poop because of it!
I must've just scared her or something.
You squeezing her likely had little to do with it they contort their bodies in so many ways and are pretty durable, in addition babies are poop machines.

Like I said try to give them poop and eat time before bonding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in