Smell, smell, smell! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2011, 12:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Smell, smell, smell!

I just got my hedgie today and I'm a new hedgehog owner,
but I've read all around this site and have learned many helpful things.

It wasn't until just a few minutes ago did my own question come up,
when all of a sudden, all I can smell is Sonic's smelly cage. >__<
I figured it's just because she urinated somewhere, which that is something I'm aware I can't stop her from doing.
But this smell has got to go some how.
So, I sprayed some linen spray on the towel underneath of her cage, which helped, but I'm afraid I'll irritate her if I keep doing that.

I have to do something quick to help the smell go away. My mom may make me get rid of her if I don't keep the smell toned down.
Please recommend cheap, at home remedies?
Thanks <3

***I use carefresh bedding

****I'm sorry if this has already been answered or is in the wrong topic

Old 07-30-2011, 12:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Smell, smell, smell!

Carefresh isn't the best bedding for hedgehogs because it's dusty and can cause respiratory problems. There have also been cases of hedgehogs eating the carefresh, which is very dangerous.

What food are you feeding her? Can you post the ingredients?

Hedgehogs are sensitive so scents, so I would not spray anything in or around her cage.
CanadienHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2011, 12:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

What bedding would you recommend then?

I'm feeding her Purina One Chicken & Rice Formula.
She was eating Natural Balance with her previous owner.
I know it's not good to switch their food right away, but I didn't have much of a choice because I couldn't get a hold of the food.
My friend (the previous owner) was going to switch her hedgies to that next, anyways.

I figured she'd be sensitive, but I'm not sure what I can do.
I have to figure something out.
Hence why I asked.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

The best bedding is fleece liners. Which is just a piece of fleece, cut to fit the cage. All you do to clean it is pick the poop off the fleece every day, and take it out and put it in the wash. It's best to have at least 3 so you can have one to put in when you take one out.

It's not good to switch foods right away, so that could be the problem.

Ingredients: Chicken, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, poultry by-product meal, wheat flour, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), wheat gluten, whole grain corn, non-fat yogurt, fish meal, brewers dried yeast, potassium chloride, phosphoric acid, animal digest, caramel color, tetra sodium pyrophosphate, calcium carbonate, salt, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, taurine, zinc sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.
Protein: 34%
Fat: 13%
Fiber: 2%

This isn't a really good food to be feeding, especially alone. In a cat food, you want:
Protein: 29-33% - higher protein can cause liver/kidney problems
Fat (under 6 months): 20% or so
Fat (over 6 months): 9-14%
Fat (runs a lot): 15-20%
Fiber: 3% or more
First Ingredient: Real meat (chicken, duck, turkey, lamb, etc)
Second Ingredient: Real meat or meat meal (chicken meal, duck meal, etc)
No: Corn, wheat, animal by-products, raisins or nuts
Beef and pork are hard to digest.

How old is she?
CanadienHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2011, 01:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicGems
What bedding would you recommend then?

I'm feeding her Purina One Chicken & Rice Formula.
She was eating Natural Balance with her previous owner.
I know it's not good to switch their food right away, but I didn't have much of a choice because I couldn't get a hold of the food.
My friend (the previous owner) was going to switch her hedgies to that next, anyways.

I figured she'd be sensitive, but I'm not sure what I can do.
I have to figure something out.
Hence why I asked.
An immediate switch in food will result in stinky poop that is green and possibly runny as well this is natural. The Purina you are referring to has a high protein and fat content if I am not mistaken and contains corn and meat by-products which are not the best source of food for a hedgie . You can refer to our food list or if I know Canadian she will cut and paste her usual post on her mixes and food variety. Hedgehogs are a lot of responsibility but so very rewarding to own as pets, a lot of people here us fleece liners as you can just pick whatever mess up in the morning and use a litter box/paper towels for a bathroom area for them and train them to use it. Once or twice a week depending on the mishaps you hedgehog get into you wash the fleece liners with non scented detergent or water and vinegar.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2011, 01:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

She'll be 8 weeks on august 2nd.

So what food would you recommend, then?
Something easy to find would be nice.
Is it okay to feed her it for a while? I just bought a bag of it and I can't exactly just throw it away.
If I absolutely have to switch her, I will.
But I just bought the stuff today and my mom will not be happy if I tell her I can't use it at all.

And I still need to know what to do about the smell.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicGems
She'll be 8 weeks on august 2nd.

So what food would you recommend, then?
Is it okay to feed her it for a while? I just bought a bag of it and I can't exactly just through it away.
If I absolutely have to switch her, I will.
But I just bought the stuff today and my mom will not be happy if I tell her I can't use it at all.

And I still need to know what to do about the smell.
I am pretty sure I answered that you switched her food it should pass in time its most likely poop which switching to a new food will do.

If you got it at a pet store most even open will let you return it for cash/store credit. The food that is recommended is in the cat food list in the diet section:

https://hedgehogcentral.com/forums/vi...c.php?f=6&t=15

You cannot use any air fresheners or anything really because this will agitate a hedgehog more then likely. I am betting odds the immediate change in food is the culprit.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2011, 01:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The food is fine to feed for awhile, or even to keep in a mix, IMO. It's not the best, but it's also far from the worst. If you look at this list, you can find some other food options that would be good for her. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15 I know that most of them are higher end cat foods and they can be expensive, so if your mom complains about the price, point out that hedgies don't eat much at all and a 5-lb bag of food can last months.

I remember reading (I believe from Nancy, who's a very well-respected and knowledgeable ex-breeder on this forum) that babies tend to have stronger smelling urine and poop. The smell may go down as she gets older. Until then, you can help with the smell by putting a container of baking soda outside her cage, that will help absorb the smell. If you change the bedding to fleece liners, you can also keep down on the smell by changing the liners every day. It'll translate to more laundry, but less smell. Using vinegar in the wash along with detergent (or instead of) will help get rid of the urine smell out of the liners as well.

Also, welcome to the site and we'd love to see pics of your new baby when you have time!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2011, 01:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

An easy inexpensive fix would be to leave a dish of baking soda near the cage but make sure no animals can get a hold of it. Baking soda absorbs smells. I use fleece and have a few sewn flannel liners and they work really good. I use paper towels under the wheel too. My hedgie Sandra was really really smelly when I got her and she loved making nasty messes in the cage. I just had to be extra good about cleaning it out and would switch liners once a day. Sometimes its the wheel that will add the most smell to the room so you could always keep paper towels and vinegar solution near the cage so you can spot clean. Sometimes doing a spot clean will make it better til you do a full clean in the morning. If I see any poops in the cage before I go to bed I go ahead and spot clean them because its one less mess for the morning and every little bit helps the smell.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

I understood what was the culprit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in