Bitting won't stop, any suggestions? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2011, 02:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Talking Bitting won't stop, any suggestions?

Hi, I just got my new hedgehog about a week ago and she has a nipping problem.
It is not agressive and she only does it if I am not looking it seems!
What she does is sniffs my hand intently and just starts nipping, it does not hurt but it is not something I want her to keep doing.
Yes I wash my hands and I even wash my arms to get any weird smell of it and the soap is not sented.
My other hedgehog 'Hedgie' never bit me and this behaviour is quite weird to me.
In a book I got when I got my hedgehog says 'that if your hedgehog bites you ether blow into its nose or squirt them with water using a plant spirtser.' I don't know if I should believe it but it was releast in 2002.
Does anybody know if the habbit will pass or will I have to disaplent her...I hate to disaplent her is that is the only way.
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2011, 03:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Bitting won't stop, any suggestions?

Don't squirt her in the face with water ! Blowing yes, water no. When you bath a hedgie, you have to make sure they are completely dry before you put them in your cage, so they don't get cold. So spraying her in the face with water, could cause problems (ie, hibernation = death).
CanadienHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2011, 04:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Celeste has this problem but her bites were aggressive and Nancy gave me some sound advice in a topic.

Here is what I recommend:

1) Don't place your fingers near your hedgies nose/mouth for awhile it will only reinforce it at this time just try to keep you fingers out of his/her sight during bonding.

2) It could be due to scared, nervous, stress, even s/he is hungry and thus biting, especially if you have ever handfed your hedgehog or was before you got him/her/

3) I don't much believe in either the blowing in face, water, or q-tip idea, with animals negative reactions don't work the same as humans. They just associate it it with fear and danger, remember they are a prey animal and striking back may help them see you as more of a threat, if all else fails I'd go with the blowing in their face. (This is just my opinion on it, I know others will differ)

4) It could also just be shes very cranky at certain times of the day/night some hedgehogs are very particular of a routine and interrupting that might get them into a very strange mood. Try different times for your interactions with this hedgie and see if anything changes.

5) Its very rare they are biting because they are chronic, so more then likely one of those should be it but I am certain there are more explanations. From what I have read while trying to figure out my girls biting its very very uncommon to have a biting hedgehog that won't stop, it might have even just been biting because of strange weather patterns.

Please note these are my gathered information from some of the more seasoned and experienced breeders and owners on this site and some research I did elsewhere and talking to my vet as well. It doesn't make them fact but could be one of the paths that might help you resolve your issue
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 04:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienHedgie
Don't squirt her in the face with water ! Blowing yes, water no. When you bath a hedgie, you have to make sure they are completely dry before you put them in your cage, so they don't get cold. So spraying her in the face with water, could cause problems (ie, hibernation = death).
Not to mention that if you spray her in the face with water, there's a chance of her inhaling some. I know that inhaling water into the lungs can cause pneumonia for humans, so I definitely wouldn't even try it with a hedgehog.

This message was brought to you by Mildred the Hedgehog's slave, Hannah! ^.^
hanhan27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2011, 09:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

I thought the water thing was not safe... thanks that is all I need to know! She is getting better on not bitting, I think it could be the weather because latly it has been storming in michigan and she started acting strange. The weather should clear up soon!
Old 07-27-2011, 11:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Do you commonly have lotion or anything on your hands that would attract a hedgie to nibble? try using a non-scented hand soap before handling??
Old 07-29-2011, 09:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

I posted earlier that I used non-sented hand soap, and I havn't been using lotion in years know if I think about it!
Old 07-29-2011, 10:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

Maybe try a different soap, just in case? Inky has one smell that drives him to a licking, nipping, frenzy: my face soap. It's not scented either, he just loves it! I always have to handle him before my showers. Maybe the soap you're using does the same thing. It'd be easier to change soaps than go through trying to prevent your hedgie from biting every day.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2011, 11:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

Soaps still carry a residue, as well as hand sanitizers and other things you come into contact with, food, other people ect. Washing your hands prior to handling could really help unless the soap you are using is the problem, sounds like this issue will simply have to be a trial and error for you.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

My hedgie does the same thing, he bites on me but also on my clothes! he will especially bite the my underarms, sides of my skirt and like the under breast area ( sorry do not know how to describe it otherwise xD ) and he will go into high efforts to get to those places too!
he is not violent - he is sort of just chewing on it.

Why is this happening?
mewa_ashika is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in