Am I doing this right? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2011, 06:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Am I doing this right?

Hi all,
I've had my new hedgey for 6 days, he's 5 months old and the previous owner had to sell him because she was allergic.
Right now i have a cage, homemade bucket wheel, litter box with paper towel/newspaper in it, a ramp in the cage that goes up to his sleeping area with towels and shirts, a food/water dish, and a water bottle (though he doesn't use it).
I feed him approx 15 pieces of Chicken soup for the cat lover's soul adult light formula per day.
He runs from 12-8am, and i have a timed light that is on from 8am to 8pm.
He does his business in the litter box and the wheel, and right now his poop is green
he often huffs if anyone tries to pick him up, usually hes ok if i do though.
I'm wondering if this setup sounds okay? And how often should he be sleeping for?
and is there any way for him to not get poopy always stuck under his back nails it's not very fun to clean...
Thanks!
kuku25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2011, 06:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Am I doing this right?

I wasn't planning on posting much anymore but...

Congratulations on your first hedgehog!

Sounds like you've got some of the finer things down, post pictures soon we all love pictures!

The food, you should free feed the hedgehog as much as they will eat (It very rare for a hedgehog to over eat) and at 5 months your hedgehog is still growing and needs more usually. A good practice is to count say 50 kibble into you hedgehogs dish if they are all gone in the morning then you know to add more +10 to 60. The key is in the morning to find left over kibble in the amount of around 5 to 10 pieces this way you know you hedgehogs normal appetite.

Green poop is usually induced due to change in diet and stress. I am sure the change had something to do with it at first, and I would ask if you knew what food your hedgehog was eating before you started Chicken Soup? Its important to slowly ween them over to a new food by mixing the new food in with the old to prevent upset stomachs which cause those green poos to happen. If it continues for days it might need a vet visit, but I would be willing to bet its stress and diet issues (can't be certain).

Are you feeding treats to your hedgehog such as crickets or meal worms these are an important supplement in their diet as they naturally eat bugs While young they can have a good 5 to 8 or more mealies a night especially if they are active little hedgehogs. Crickets are lower and fat and their range is a bit more loose.

You hedgehog will be timid/defensive and hiss/pop/quill for awhile keep handling you hedgehog even if he/she just rest/naps on you or near you this will assure them you are no treat a bond can take weeks, months and sometimes up to a year to form. And some hedgehogs personalities are loners and they will always be grumps with you but still get more tolerable with being handled with time, patience, and of course love

Your hedgehog is still young and they sleep a lot more, hedgehogs can sleep on average from 12 to 18 hours in a day and a lot will depend on their personalities some are much more active then others. Take note of the sleeping patterns and active hours of your hedgehog they usually are consistent and this too can help identify early signs if something goes wrong

IS the ramp covered or does it have decently size walls that hedgie cannot climb and/or fall over or off of? Hedgehogs are notorious escape artists/climbers and its important that you ensure they cannot fall fro many elevated height

If your hedgehog isn't using the water bottle just remove it as long as you are changing the water each morning and cleaning the dish its safer then a water bottle in the opinion of this community

Poop boots or poopy feet is going to happen a small amount of water up to their ankles that is the right temp each day to walk around in and a soft bristle toothbrush will help remove the poop. Be glad poop boots mean a active and usually happy hedgie!

For even more help post some pictures of your setup and you hedgehog and everyone hear will be glad to give their opinions and advice for you and your new hedgehog.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2011, 07:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thankyou so much for the reply!
He was fed the same food when he was with the previous owner so it must just be change/stress that's causing the green poop.
I will definitely be feeding him more then, and I haven't gotten any bugs yet but planning on getting crickets. It's ideal to get them alive? can i let him just chase, catch, and eat em?
He definitely seems tired a lot of the day. Glad to know it's normal for him to want to sleep so much
And i tried feeding him veggies the other day, i mushed them up with his cat food pieces and he managed to selectively eat only the cat food smarty pants..
Attached Images
File Type: png hedgey.png (338.4 KB, 12 views)

Old 07-23-2011, 07:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuku25
Thankyou so much for the reply!
He was fed the same food when he was with the previous owner so it must just be change/stress that's causing the green poop.
I will definitely be feeding him more then, and I haven't gotten any bugs yet but planning on getting crickets. It's ideal to get them alive? can i let him just chase, catch, and eat em?
He definitely seems tired a lot of the day. Glad to know it's normal for him to want to sleep so much
And i tried feeding him veggies the other day, i mushed them up with his cat food pieces and he managed to selectively eat only the cat food smarty pants..
If he's still being fed the same food, then the green poop is because of his new home. Crickets are great to feed, because they are low in fat. Don't feed freeze dried insects, they are hard to digest, instead, by live ones and either keep them alive or freeze them. The easiest way is to take the bag/bucket of crickets and put it in the freezer, in the morning, take out as many as you will feed that day.

This is how I do it though:
1) Dump the live crickets into a container of water. They will drown.
2) Scoop out 3 crickets and put it into an ice cube tray with water.
3) When the ice tray is full, put it in the freezer.
4) Once frozen, empty the ice tray and put the frozen cricket cube into a ziplock bag, and put them back in the freezer.
5) Now you have an empty ice cube tray, so you can make more.
6) In the morning, take out 3-5 cubes and put them in the fridge to thaw.
7) At night, hide the crickets around the cage.

If you want him to chase them, put the plug in the bathtub, and let him chase them. It takes a while for them to learn how to do this though. But they escape easily, and are hard to catch, so I prefer frozen (not freeze dried) or I rip of the legs.

You should only feed one new food at a time. This way you know the cause if he gets sick. So if you want to try carrots, only try carrots that week. Make sure hard vegetables are cooked. Sometimes you have to offer them a new food multiple times before they will eat it.

What temperature is the cage?
CanadienHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2011, 08:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

I don't have a heater and my house temp is 22/23 right now. I think I'll need to buy one for the winter though.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

A hedgehogs cage needs to be at 23-25 C at all times. If your hedgie attempts hibernation it can be deadly, and they are likely to attempt hibernation again after that. You don't want the temperature to fluctuate, which it probably does. The house temperature drops at night, because there is no reason for it to stay hot all night when you're sleeping, but this is when your hedgehog is awake. You should be aiming for 24 C. You will need to figure out if you are going to use a space heater, or a ceramic heat emitter setup. If you use a space heater, it will heat the whole room. The most popular option is ceramic heat emitters. Read this please:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4579
CanadienHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in