fleece liners - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2008, 01:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default fleece liners

In preparation for getting my little spikey ball of fun I measured the bottom of my cage and made her some fleece liners that just lay down perfectly (well, almost perfectly) in the bottom. That has worked great for weeks but the past several days she has started getting under the edge of the liner and crawling right to the middle and scratching on the plastic cage bottom for approx. 10 minutes. I assume she's trying to dig, but then she gives up and sleeps there. Or at least she does when I don't notice her. Everytime I see her crawl under there I have been picking her up and putting her back on top of the liner. She runs and hides behind her wheel and sulks until I finally go away and then she goes straight to the corner and crawls back under. I'm just curious if there's something I can do for her to satisfy a possible desire to dig and if I should just let her stay under there where she's comfortable or keep pissing her off by moving her? I have already put cut up fleece strips in one corner thinking she would dig in them but she ignores them.
roseykrh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2008, 08:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Default Re: fleece liners

Usually once they decide that sleeping under the liner is wonderful, at least to them, you won't have much luck changing them. I think many just like the bare plastic for reasons known only to them.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2008, 09:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

I found with Rose that I had to find the right sleeping arrangements and then she stopped crawling under her liner to sleep. She dislikes sleeping bags, igloos, or anything similar to those items. For her I have a blanket I made. Its similar to her cage liner but has fleece on one side and flannel on the other. If I fold it over she will crawl in and sleep there. If I try anything else she goes under the liner again.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 10:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

What does she have to sleep in? All of mine have igloos with a blanket of some sort inside to sleep in. Of course, Snuffy does not like that and prefers to sleep under the liner. I have taken out the igloo and given him a hat to sleep under, that seems to make him happy.

Hedgehogs need a place to hide!
Old 09-12-2008, 10:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

She has always slept in one of my old baggy 2x tshirts. I have 3 of them that were just sleep shirts for me so I rotate them out every 4-5 days. She hasn't had any issue with them before. And the one in her cage last night is the same one she's been sleeping in since Monday.
roseykrh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2008, 12:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

hahaha, Nancy is soo right!!! Once daisy went under her liners that was it, now its pretty much her favorite place, she will once in a wile sleep in her igloo, as long as i put enough fleece scraps in it, but she still perfers sleeping on the plastic rather then soft fluffy fleece
but maybe you little one would perfer a igloo and hedgie bag now? maybe the shirts just arnt doing it for her anymore,
Vortex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2008, 09:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Is it really warm in the room? I find my Sophie is more likely to sleep under the liners, straight on the plastic, during the summer. I think its cooler for her. But then again, she's always liked sleeping there, and might only not do it when I position the igloo such that she can't get under easily...
lmsoft is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in