Cooked hedgehog... - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2011, 12:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cooked hedgehog...

... is what I will have by the end of this week, unless I figure out a way to bring down the temperature.

Bit of a heatwave in Toronto: yesterday it was 31C/87F in my house (!!)... On Thursday it will be 35C/95F outside, but is supposed to feel like 46C/115F with the humidity (!!!!!!!!!)

I don't have air conditioning.

I'm putting ice packs in Misha's cage (a.k.a. frozen water bottles), and they melt in under an hour. Which means while I'm at work, and overnight, his cage gets super hot again. He's taken to sleeping under the fleece, on the coroplast.

I'm picking up ceramic tiles today on the way home, and will be making rice bag ice packs this evening. I'm hoping they keep the cold in a bit longer than regular ice packs, because regular ice packs just melt in no time.

Is there anything else I can do to cool him down???? Any and all suggestions welcome.

moothecow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2011, 01:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Cooked hedgehog...

Well, you could always invest in a portable room air conditioner. They can be a little pricey, but then neither of your have to suffer - just sit in the cool room and enjoy! A more economical solution would be to use an oscillating fan and turn it to high. You can also make a gheto air conditioner out of them by putting a portable/folding stand in front of it and placing some of your ice packs on there so it blows cold air.
Nebular is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2011, 04:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

I found these handy gadgets last week. They are flat 1/4 inch thick-ish freezer packs. They are 10" x 12", easy to store in the freezer. I have not used them yet (I wanted to ask here if they would be ok) but when I bought them idea was to use under fleece at one end of cage on super hot days (or in my dogs case under her blaket in her bed) I don't recall paying more than a couple $ for them but they are sure looked handy. I imagine several stacked would stay cool a while. This is the one http://www.dollarama.com/ they have a store locator on the site. They must carry most of the same things at various stores because their name in on most packaging.

Hissy-Fit-Hazel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 04:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebular
Well, you could always invest in a portable room air conditioner.
I've considered this, and then looked up prices, and they go for $350-$600... which is way more than I can afford. I can't get a window one, either - we live in a very very old house, with ancient double-panelled windows that can't accommodate a window air con unit, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebular
You can also make a gheto air conditioner out of them by putting a portable/folding stand in front of it and placing some of your ice packs on there so it blows cold air.
Bahaha, I like that idea. I think I'll try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissy-Fit-Hazel
I found these handy gadgets last week. They are flat 1/4 inch thick-ish freezer packs. They are 10" x 12", easy to store in the freezer. I have not used them yet (I wanted to ask here if they would be ok) but when I bought them idea was to use under fleece at one end of cage on super hot days (or in my dogs case under her blaket in her bed) I don't recall paying more than a couple $ for them but they are sure looked handy. I imagine several stacked would stay cool a while. This is the one http://www.dollarama.com/ they have a store locator on the site. They must carry most of the same things at various stores because their name in on most packaging.
I like how flat these are! I'm going to check the Dollarama near me and see if they carry any.

Thank you both!

Operation Hedgehog Cooldown in full effect.

moothecow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2011, 04:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have been having the same problem that you are for almost a month now. We have no ac and our town house does not have ANY air flow at all. It is always hotter in out house than it is outside so it has been in the upper 80's . I have several ice packs that I leave with Toki during the day and at night. They are the really big ice packs and I wrap them in a paper towel to catch the water when they melt. They don't last all day but the bigger ones do last longer. I also put his tile in the freezer for about half an hour and then give it back to him

There have been a few times were it has been so hot we have taken him to a friends house (with lovely ac) so that he can be cool at night. If you have anyone with a cool house and space for a hedge cage maybe you can send your hog on a sleep over?

I am lucky that we have a basement and it is almost always 77.7 so that is where Toki is now.

As for the portable ac they run about $300 or you can find a window unit for around $100. I have vertical windows and a vertical ac will cost just as much as a portable.

Good luck!
Old 07-18-2011, 06:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm in hamilton so I completley understand your pain. Those flat ice packs seem like a good idea. I wish - could help. I have a small a/c in my bachler appt. The flat icepacks should last longer though

shortnerdy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2011, 10:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Could you try making a really old school swamp cooler? All you would need is a floor fan with a wet sheet on the front. I've heard that these work great, but I've never used one. (Just thought I'd throw that out there, it could be a really cheap alternative to a/c...)
Old 07-19-2011, 02:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxMD
Could you try making a really old school swamp cooler? All you would need is a floor fan with a wet sheet on the front. I've heard that these work great, but I've never used one. (Just thought I'd throw that out there, it could be a really cheap alternative to a/c...)

http://youtu.be/N1NwXBXpShQ same sort of thing in a cooler version on you tube (geez you can see anything there lol!)
Hissy-Fit-Hazel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2011, 08:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

I hear you!!

I'm in Hamilton too!! :P

And I got those ice packs from the dollarama, they are in the seasonal isle, they sell them for picnic baskets, and they are FANTASTIC! they are about 1/4-1/2 " thick. I put them under the gerbil house, hug them on the couch, and wrap them in fleece and tuck them along the side or top of the hedgie house.

They last about 2-3 hours, which is way better than any other ice bricks I've tried.

My co-worker just told me about the impending heat for Thursday... I'm contemplating a sick day to stay home from work to turn the portable a/c on for Daisy (hedgie) and my 3 cats. One of whom is 20 and had a stroke 8 weeks ago. (I live in an older apt and am antsy about leaving the a/c on when I'm not home, yes it's silly).

Oh and I've read about this techique of a sleeping house made out of 2 tereacotta plant pots and wet sand.. I actually got 2 pots to make one for Daisy if need be. Again dollarama to the resuce for that.
zorropirate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2011, 09:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

Same problem too! I'm in Toronto and we are on the third floor of a triplex which makes our unit much hotter then the others . We have a protable air con unit in our living room and it still doesn't get un der 79 degrees. The hedgies were in the spare room in the back of the hosue where its even hotter, well over 89 so i was putting ice packs in their cage.
The same dilema is they would melt in an our while I was at work so I decided to move both their cages in the living room where its cooler. Hopefully this heat wave is over soon!
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in