New to hedgies - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2011, 09:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New to hedgies

Rudy just came into our home on Monday and she is our first hedgie. She is one year old and her owner was leaving for college and couldn't keep her so... I knew her first day in her new home would be a lot to take in so we let her sleep the day away. Monday night we brought her out and let her run on the couch getting to know our smell. Last night, with the assistance of a washcloth, I took her out of her cage and laid her in my arms for about 30 minutes. Letting her root around and sniff my hands. I want to make sure her transition is positive and she is happy. The girl we got her from said she had her out every day but I am not sure if that is true or not. When I hold Rudy I try not to move so quickly as it gets her quills up and she gets hissy. OK, so now my question. Is this the best way to get her to warm up to me? I don't want to traumatize the little one. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers!
jehlen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2011, 09:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: New to hedgies

Welcome and congrats!! You are doing a great job in letting her get to know you!!

This is exactly how most of us started with our own hedgies. Always ensure she has somewhere to 'hide' when she's out - a hedgie bag, blanket etc - and you may want to offer treats such as mealworms as you start testing her boundaries. Bribes work wonders for most hedgies!
Old 07-13-2011, 10:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

Sounds Like you are doing exactly what you should be doing. And bribery does work wonders. I have had Chloe since april and she still doesnt like being out of her cage and hand handled.

Dont let the huffiness deter you, even when she is used to you she still may do this a bit. Chloe huffs and tries to head butt me with her quills all the time and i just poke her back at this point lol Its like a game of whos going to give in first..
newfie_nurse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

Just keep handling her. Like the others said, bribery is fantastic. She'll start to associate your scent with something she's safe around. If you have an old shirt you don't need any more, wear that for a day or two and put that in her cage with her. She'll have something that smells like you even when you're not right there to handle her. Keep petting/handling her through her huffiness. If you stop while she's huffing, she'll eventually figure out that that sort of behaviour gets her what she wants (stop touching me!) and will keep doing it. She'll calm down over time, but yeah, they can still be huffy from time-to-time once they're used to you. My little guy still huffs if I touch his bum or his visor area without any sort of notice.
Nebular is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Sounds like youre doing great! hope you post photos soon!
Bribery is really the key with Norma as well

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in