Is it normal for a baby hedgie not to run on their wheel? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Flamepool
  • 1 Post By Flamepool

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2015, 03:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is it normal for a baby hedgie not to run on their wheel?

Hiya friends! I got my hedgie, Dean, like 4 days ago. He's been doing great, he's already used to me. When he realizes it's me, he stops huffing and getting all scared <3 Then he lets me handle him with no problem. We've been bonding pretty quickly, I feel.

I've been monitoring how much he eats. He's eating well, around 40 kibble the last few nights. His poop is solid and brown. Like a baby would, he sleeps most of the time... whenever I wake him up at night, he will go back to sleep once I put him back in his cage.

He just doesn't use his wheel at all. I wanted to know if this is normal and when will he start using it if it is. He's 2 months old and is going through his quilling, I think. I haven't seen him shred that many quills, but my breeder told me he had started.

Last edited by Honeytastic; 06-15-2015 at 03:40 AM.
Honeytastic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2015, 01:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Yes that is normal. My Herbie didn't run on his wheel for a few weeks until he got used to everything. Is your wheel about the tip of his head length from the bottom of his cage? If not, try lowering it a bit, he might be having a hard time reaching it. Also, while Herbie was quilling, he would sleep all day and night. Think of quilling as a baby growing in their first teeth. The adult quills are larger that the baby quills, so they have to push through smaller holes causing discomfort. Herbie was a grump and didn't want to be touched at all. I read that putting dried oatmeal in a clean sock and smishing it around in the bath water before cleaning your hedgie helps. Swish until the water gets foggy and just let your baby soak for a little bit. This will loosen the pores, allowing the adult quills to grow in easier. Quilling usually lasts for about two weeks.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you for your reply! The wheel's a little tall, it's a California one, but with the height of the bedding, it shouldn't be that hard for him to reach. I added a ramp today anyway, just in case that's the issue.

He IS quilling or so I was told and he IS sleeping most of the time, so that makes sense! Really explains why he's always sleeping, even at night. Dean weirdly enough is actually not grumpy, he's very friendly. He hasn't been here a week and he's already really friendly to me and my family. He just huffs and pops until he realize it's me who's trying to pick him up, then he relaxes. I usually put my finger in front of his nose and that's how he calms down. He's so friendly and relaxed I began doubting he was quilling! I don't have oatmeal, but I bathed him around 3 days ago and put some flax seed oil on his back, hoping to ease whatever pain he's going through.

I feel more calm about him not using his wheel now thank you so much!

Old 06-18-2015, 03:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

You're welcome. All hedgies are different, and your little guy might already be done or almost done quilling. Usually with Herbie, after his bath, there would be quills all over his towel. You can also tell the difference from baby quills and adult quills by thickness and color. The baby quills are usually a white or cream color and almost needle thin. I forgot about the flaxseed. Yes, that will also help, but be sure not to soak his quills in it. It won't get onto his skin very easily and will just make his quills slippery. I use a medicine dropper/eye dropper to get between the quills and get it on the skin. Good luck with your little guy and feel free to ask me anything else. I may be a newer owner myself, but I did loads of research before I got Herbie.
Honeytastic likes this.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Also, Herbie started quilling when he was six weeks. Hedgies DO quill throughout their lives, but your little guy probably stopped quilling a long time ago. He shouldn't be quilling for another few months. The breeder might have gotten confused with normal quill shedding. Hedgies withh shed a few quills every few days.
Honeytastic likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in