getting two hedgies Friday - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nikki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2015, 12:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default getting two hedgies Friday

On Friday I will be picking up two hedehogs from someone who can no longer keep them. There is one male and one female and are currently 6 months old. They are also in the same cage so they will be separated immediately . I am freaking out about the fact that the girl may be pregnant. What should I be looking for? Since I have not had her I cant really go on weight gain :/ I used to breed rabbits for 4-H so I know about the leaving her alone for 2 weeks and such...... just having a mini freak out about the fact I have never had hedgehogs before and one might be pregnant .

Also how should I bring them home? I have a cat carrier so should I just put a blanket down in that and used that to bring them home? Can I use my dogs vet to get them in for a check up? I have a ferret and they were the ones who gave him his shots needed.
comets2015 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2015, 09:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Heyyo and welcome! Sounds like you and I did something very similar, ha. The girl is 99% likely pregnant, so yeah, prepare for that. If you could at all figure out when they were placed together, you count 35 days from that day to find your due date. They can birth 5 days on either side of that day, so on the 30th day, you put her in a 105qt clear Sterilite bin with a nesting box and substrate bedding.

During that last week or so you should start introducing a higher fat food, a good one is purina mama and babykat. Yep, for the first two weeks you only go into the room they're in to change food and water. After that you can carefully replace the bedding a handful at a time and sneak a quick peek at the babies when mom isn't in the nest.

As for bringing them home, a cat carrier is fine. You should call around for an exotic animals vet who has seen hedgehogs before. And get them, especially the female, in for a check as soon as possible to get a baseline.

Also, read the stickies in the breeding page. I am doing that myself right now, it has a ton of good information! Good luck!

Soyala_Amaya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2015, 09:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

I can't help much with the pregnancy... From what I've read, just prepare and expect like she is pregnant, and wait 50 days from the first day the two were together, or, if you don't know that, from when you get her home. You might want to wait for a better opinion, since I'm not an expert on that
As for transport, a hard sided cat carrier that you can buckle in with a seatbelt is ideal for transporting hedgehogs in the car. You might want to get two, just to get them separated as soon as possible, or make a divider to put in one carrier. Food and water is not neccassary since they'll probably sleep the whole time. On my trip, which was five hours, I gave my hedgehog, Echo, one or two kibbles when we stopped, but you don't have to do this. Stuff them full of fleece, and maybe a snuggle sack. Hand warmers wrapped in socks can keep them warm if it's cold outside. I didn't need them for my trip home since I live in texas, and it was a warm day. Also make sure the vent isn't blowing on them. The draft could cause hinernation.

And for the vet, call ahead and ask if they treat hedgehogs. That's what we did, and we found the leading hedgehog vet in our city! There are also vet listings in the forum, and I believe there's vet listings on the Hedgehog Welfare Society Website.

AnnaLK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 09:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you guys and they have been together since they were first bought. So I will do 35 days from tomorrow and get prepared!! And I'm now picking them up tomorrow morning!!! I'm so excited! I am going to walmart in the morning on the way to pick up more items. I got better quality kibble for them and some veggies to give as treats. I have a rabbit as well so they will be sharing her stuff(veggies and fruits) and I need to pick up more hides and fleece.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

No that doesn't make sense, you need to count 35 days from when they were first placed together, not bought together. If you could 35 days from tomorrow she will likely give birth way sooner than that and you will be unprepared.

CashmereSkeleton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2015, 02:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Well considering they have been together since the lady got them(3 months ago) I'm just going to have to prepare now since who knows if she is pregnant and when she got pregnant.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

You need to be prepared for her to give birth any time now. You can count 55 days after the last time they were together and if she doesn't give birth by then she wasn't pregnant. Please tell me you have them in separate and escape proof cages so she doesn't end up pregnant again.
Lilysmommy likes this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2015, 08:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yes there separated.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Sorry I saw that you were planning on keeping them separate after I posted. She could give birth anytime from today to 55 days from when she was separated from the male.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2015, 11:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

Yeah, if they were together for 3 months, she's mostly had babies at least once and then ate then because the male was still in the cage. Possibly twice. Poor things, some people just don't understand animal biology. So she needs to be put into a maternity box asap. I purchased this one http://www.target.com/p/sterilite-cl...0+qt+sterilite

Then you cut a square out on one side, attach a piece of mesh (or c&c grid) over the hole, that will hold up the heat lamp. I built my nesting box out of coroplast, it's about 8x8 inches, has a small doorway for her, and a removable lid. I also cut a small hole in the lid that I can put a night vision wifi webcam through so I can monitor the babies without disturbing mom.

She needs substrate bedding, like carefresh or aspen, that she can use to build a nest and burrow in. Also, fleece tends to get stinky after two weeks+ without being able to change it. There's a ton more information in the stickies in the breeding section, but what I just outlined is the bare minimum.

Soyala_Amaya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in