Rescued a Pregnant Hedgie Yesterday - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2015, 11:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rescued a Pregnant Hedgie Yesterday

Alright, so, backstory. Yesterday I drove 2.5 hours one way to get a "breeding pair" of hedgehogs from an awful woman. She suddenly decided she "didn't have time for them" after they were purposefully bred. She had had two females, bred the other one, and the time it took to take care of the five babies, added onto she had a show dog about to whelp, made her get rid of the hedgehogs. Yes, she breeds and shows dogs as well. She also NEVER BOTHERED to name either hedgehog.

Anyway, the two were put together on May 16th, kept together for two weeks, and only just separated. So yeah, if she's NOT pregnant, I know nothing about hedgehog anatomy or the boy was shooting blanks. I had a local friend who took the boy, but she is looking to close on a house and move in the next month or so and couldn't take care of the babies. So girl went home with me.

The boy was visually worse off. He had skin so dry Amanda compared it to a "construction worker's elbow" and we are concerned for his quill health. He might get some bald patches. He also was, literally, I am not exaggerating, COATED in feces from end to end. He CHANGED COLORS after Amanda gave him a bath. He had dry ears, nails over a quarter of an inch long, and his poop boots had dried his feet out so much the skin was cracked and bleeding under the nails. He also had some sort of yellow crusty around his left eye.

The female's skin didn't look quite as dry, but still bad, and her ears were dry as well. However, she wasn't covered in CRAP and her feet and eyes looked clear. Her nails were also horrifically long.

Both hedgehogs had one or two nails literally fall off during their baths, so I am highly concerned about vitamin deficiency. When her nail cracked off last night, she had a lot of issues clotting, which also seems to point to nutrient issues.They are both skinny, and I am VERY worried about the babies because of. They were on Spike's Delight Hedgehog food, of which the woman ordered TWELVE BOXES from online, so who knows how old or stale the food is either. The male had an unmodified Silent Spinner wheel, which probably contributed to his bleeding feet, the female had nothing. Not even a food bowl, the food was just piled in the corner. The woman was using a regular, from Walmart, heating pad for heat. I left that there.

Both hedgehogs are also dehydrated. Bronson (the males new name) had three tiny, hard poops overnight. Frigga gave me one tiny hard poop during her bath. I saw no evidence of pee from Frigga at all (she is on a white fleece liner till we're closer to her due dat) so I syringed 5 cc's of water into her this morning. She became active for about 3 minutes, then seemed to just collapse, exhausted.

I will be making a syringe food tonight using Wellness wet cat food, oralade electrolyte replacer, dubias, super worms, and calcium worms, and some chicken and gravy baby food for flavor and fat.

Alright, so ALL OF THAT out of the way, I am not a breeder. I never planned on breeding. I know only the barest minimum about breeding (for the first two weeks don't interact with them at all except to replace food and water, then after that I can slowly replace substrate bedding a handful at a time till they're four to five weeks before I can handle them.) I will take any advice, on her rehabilitation or the future babies, I can take!

Soyala_Amaya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2015, 12:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

I rescued a bred pair the female(Wendy) had babies 3 weeks ago
U can handle a baby for a second or 2 when they are 2weeks old when mom is out of the nest if she was ok with u can hold the baby(ies) alittle longer every day. I got this info from the stickies in the breeding board I suggest reading the stickies they are very helpful

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in