New owner Need help - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Ally's_Oliver
  • 2 Post By Soyala_Amaya

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2015, 01:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy New owner Need help

Hi i just got a female adult hedgehog yesterday . She is very big compared to the ones i see on the net like i need both my hands to handle her. Whenever i try to take her and put her on my legs she just slowly starts balling but doesnt huff and puff . yesterday i took her to try and play with her so i took her while she was balling and put her on my legs to see if she opens . She uncurled but she took my finger and bite me like a dog and it drew blood. I found a big cardboard so i made a 1 meter / 1 meter cage and i made a little house where she sleeps . I took some vegetables and meat for her until i get cat food but she doesn't eat at all and all she does is sleep and make green poop. Temperature is okay and light too ... i cant figure out what to do and i feel that i should have taken a baby hedgehog
Rammy the Hedgy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2015, 02:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hedgehog babies are definitely easier to handle, but having an adult Is okay too! It's will just take a little longer for her to get completely used to you. Try putting an old t shirt that you've worn for a few nights in her cage so she can get used to your smell. Try taking her out of her cage everyday for a while so she will get used to being handled. It's good that she doesn't huff much! It means she's fairly well socialized and will adjust to you easier. As for the food, try getting her some cat food ASAP. When you first bring hedgies home, they only want the basics. Their kibble and their water. After the get settled then you can introduce meat and veggies. Is there anyway for you to feed her the same food she was on previously? Lastly, green poop is fairly normal during the stress of coming to a new home and should subside with time!
MomLady likes this.
Ally's_Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2015, 02:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

she is always sleeping i cant get her out of her cage today . Unlike yesterday she is sleeping since 4 am and woke up only when i changed her cage to a bigger one . She isnt even drinking . I had to changed the cage because well i woke up at 4 am because of she escaped the box and explored all my room making weird sound . Her old owner said he was feeding her salad and tomatoes and meat and no cat food so should i try cat food ? She doesnt eat for now but i'm not sure if she 'll eat a new thing. I'm really scared to get her out today it was such a horrible experience to see her biting my finger while i can't do anything i had to wait for her to finish biting so i can get her to the box again. I will try again when she wakes up

Old 05-27-2015, 02:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

She needs to eat and drink now! Hedgehogs can develop fatty liver disease if they go too long without food. If she will eat salad, tomatoes and meat, then please give it to her.

What kind of a hedgehog is she? Is she a European hedgehog?

As for the biting, do a search for the thread on So your hedgehog is a biter.

RIP my dear Nara 7/2/10---1/6/15. Mommy will always love you.
MomLady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2015, 05:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

She went out of her home to smell things and she licked the water a liiiitle bit but nothing more. She didnt eat the tomato the salad the green bean the berry the meat.....why does she look like exhausted
Old 05-28-2015, 10:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

She looks exhausted because she is starving. Tomatoes are too acidic for hedgehogs, you cannot just throw random food in the cage.

1, get some decent cat food and get her fed.
2, get a wet cat food and syringe it into her IMMEDIATELY.
3, read the stickies in the diet and nutrition board.
4, if she's been fed like you say her whole life, she is probably nutritionally starved and needs a vet to help find a diet that will make her healthy again.

Take her to a good vet, put her on good food. Please do this as soon as possible, your hedgehog sounds very sick.
MomLady and totesmagotes like this.

Soyala_Amaya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
food, hedgehog, poop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in