Hedgehog Central banner

weird question

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Mika 
#1 ·
i have read that female hedgies don't go into heat unless exposed to a male. My question is to what level of exposure before she goes into heat? Is it just direct contact, same room, same house? the reason i ask is right now my gf and i do not live together and Dora lives with her full time and comes over some weekends when my girlfriend stays the night. I am looking at getting a rescue that is a male and we don't want Dora to go into heat, so how far does the new little guy need to be kept away from her to keep it from happening?

#2 ·
i really don't know an exact answer to this but i noticed no one is answering here so i will do y best. I believe that (i asked a friend) that as long as the female cant smell the mall she is fine. She needs a strong smell of him, like playing together or right next to each other. I think if they are in separate rooms they will do fine. but don't quote me !

#4 ·
Hedgehogs are induced ovulators so they will not release an egg unless they mate with a male. This is why hedgehogs do not go into heat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.