What time does your hedgie wake up? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2011, 02:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What time does your hedgie wake up?

I suppose I thought nocturnal meant that she would wake up...well...when it gets dark. My hedgie doesn't seem to wake up until after I go to bed. Whatever time all the lights in the house go out and there is no movement, that's when she gets up. Is she avoiding me? I'd like to bond with her, but when I try to wake her up at 9pm or so, she gets so angry. She has basically become a live-in roomie, rather than a pet and my friend.
itssamiee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: What time does your hedgie wake up?

hedgies like to wake up late, mine wakes in the early morning, 1.. sometimes later than that..... still waking them is okay at anytime you'd like.. they are usually huffy at first when you wake them but the longer you hold them and bond they more they will get used to you, wake up a bit more and become less cranky.. its just like us, if you woke me up in the middle of my sleep i'd be huffy too!
Old 06-06-2011, 03:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

But she pokes the crap out of me. I did so much research before I got her and I thought I knew everything. I put a tshirt of mine in her house. But when I go to get her she puts her pickles out and lunges forward to try to poke me.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

this is normal,,, they are prey animals so they are scared of us,,, it will take time for her to get used to you, use a blanket or shirt or something to pick her up until you can pick her up with just your hands, my Norma still gets a little jumpy with me sometimes, it takes time for them to learn to trust you. the more you handle her and bond with her the quicker she will learn to not fear you.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you so much for your replies. I will wake her tonight while my husband and I are watching our nightly movie (our only alone time when the kiddo is in bed ) and maybe she can watch it with us nicely wrapped up in my favorite tshirt...which she now owns. The first two nights I had her, she escaped her home and ended up under my stove the first night, and under the fridge the second night. I'd say I have had her about 2 weeks now.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

haha, movie/tv/computer time are the best times to bring out your hedgie for cuddling and bonding.. let her relax in your lap with some blankets or your t shirt and after a while she may open up and start exploring. or she may just nap, either way you'll find her getting more comfortable over time. :] good luck.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Lol, I wake Nanuq up when he's sleeping. He's used to it now, he's grumpy and then I wrap him in his blanket and put him on my chest..
He generally wakes up around 8-9pm, sometimes later.
Gibbz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2011, 02:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

i have to agree that it seems like norma is more comfortable when i rest her on my upper chest when i first wake her.

**that picture of Nanuq is absolutely adorable!
Old 06-07-2011, 08:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

I generally go get Dexter at 9pm and let him sleep in my lap in his hedgie bag. We watch "Bones" together haha
He actually wakes up at about 10:30-11:00.
Usually when I pick him up he goes into his ball but he un-balls quickly and snuggles up in his bag
Keep her in the t-shirt so she feels safe and she'll come around soon! If you're watching TV make sure the lights are dim and that you speak softly and don't make sudden movements
That should help!

DexterTheHog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2011, 09:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

Like everyone had said, you can wake her up for a cuddle anytime. Keep her in a hedgie bag or Tshirt, and pet her over it. Eventually work your way to putting your hand on her to stroking her. She'll eventually warm up to you . Bulu likes to wedge her head under my hand to cuddle now.

Every hedgie wakes up at diff times. Bulu wakes 8-9pm and it's still slightly light outside. Others wake up at 2-3am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in