Nyx is home!.. and a few questions.. =) - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2011, 03:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Tishy Tasha
Default Nyx is home!.. and a few questions.. =)

I haven't gotten the pics uploaded justttt yet but don't worry they are on their way.. .. I am the proud new Hedgie Mommy of a beautiful 6 month old Alergian (?)(The guy didn't know the exact breed of her or maybe I misunderstood him ) We named her Nyx aka Nyxers, she is very sweet and very shy still but it was love at first sight when I seen her & I am so happy to have her in my life. Only thing is, is she has me a bit worried.. On the way home (Almost 2 hour car ride) she did her business right as we started the drive back and since then hasn't. She ate and drank the whole way home.. She has been eating and drinking since we got home pretty regularly but no little business trails lol.. Could it be the change of wood chips to fleece because I did place her in the cage with fleece instead of wood chips?.. .. I am already feeling like a bad hedgie mom, anyone else have this problem when first bringing them home?

I <3 my Nyxers & Loki!

Tishy Tasha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2011, 08:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Nyx is home!.. and a few questions.. =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tishy Tasha
I haven't gotten the pics uploaded justttt yet but don't worry they are on their way.. .. I am the proud new Hedgie Mommy of a beautiful 6 month old Alergian (?)(The guy didn't know the exact breed of her or maybe I misunderstood him ) We named her Nyx aka Nyxers, she is very sweet and very shy still but it was love at first sight when I seen her & I am so happy to have her in my life. Only thing is, is she has me a bit worried.. On the way home (Almost 2 hour car ride) she did her business right as we started the drive back and since then hasn't. She ate and drank the whole way home.. She has been eating and drinking since we got home pretty regularly but no little business trails lol.. Could it be the change of wood chips to fleece because I did place her in the cage with fleece instead of wood chips?.. .. I am already feeling like a bad hedgie mom, anyone else have this problem when first bringing them home?
Hi! I don't know much because my baby has only been home for a week but I can try to help!
Algerian is a color (I think) it means her mask goes up under and around her eyes rather than just stopping at the eyes
Usually you don't want to put food and water in the travel carrier because the poor little guys can get car sick really easily.
It's fine that she bit you, as long as it didn't draw blood it means it was a little nip to figure out if you were food or not. If that was the case, she figured it out and won't bite you anymore haha
The stress of moving could have made her constipated but the fact that she ate and drank is good! Her poop might be green though because she's stressed out
Does she have a wheel? That's where Dexter usually poops haha it gets his digestive system moving
I'm switching my baby over to fleece liners soon because wood chips are GROSS! They can also harbor mites and just aren't good for hedgies. I hear you're supposed to cut up strips of fleece and put them in a box or in their igloo so they can burrow. Maybe that will make her feel more at home!
Congrats on your new hedgie!! Hope I helped a little
I know how you feel! I'm paranoid about everything Dexter does/ everything I do for Dexter
Upload those pics!! :P

DexterTheHog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 12:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm no expert but I know that when I brought home my lil 6 month hedgie he also went to the bathroom on the ride home but then once I got him home he didn't for almost 2 days, and also didn't eat for at least a day and a half, I was SOO worried, but after that everything went back to normal! i guess he was just scared and adjusting to his new surroundings before getting comfortable ! How long has it been since you got him??
BenjaminButton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 02:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Whew.. I woke up and there was poop trails everywhere in her cage after I put some of her old bedding on top of the fleece. She wouldn't go anywhere on the fleece so I am thinking she may be able to be potty trained to use the litter area (Which I forgot to put in lol poor Nyx) and will make sure it has a tiny bit of her bedding in it so she knows where to go. Her first poo was a slight greenish color since we been home but it is starting to darken now.. yay, never thought I would be so poo concerned lol. I made sure to only hold her for a short time the first time and she never bit me, she actually unrolled from her ball and started looking at me and licking her nose (o.O Does anyones hedgie do that?).. Now my fiance, she nipped him but didn't draw blood and that was because he wanted to try to hold her and I think that she was already at her too much level. Today I have to get her a bigger wheel.. The cage she was in was way to small for her and the small wheel she can't fit into and I will have to give her a bath today to try to get her back nails trimmed because they are long.. Just don't want to stress her out tooo much? or should I wait on that? She has been eating just fine, drinking water just fine and sleeping when she is supposed to sleep and awake when she should be awake.. I hate the wood chips as well, they get stuck in her quills and go everywhere when she hops around.. and over all just are nasty.. So I am going to wean her from the chips to the fleece ..

Pics should be coming sometime today & I have had her for almost a day.. I just felt like I brought home a newborn and was a little paranoid first time mommy. I even caught myself checking the temperature over and over around her cage every time I would pass it lol.

I <3 my Nyxers & Loki!

Old 06-06-2011, 03:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

haha aww thats so exciting i know how you feel!good to know everythings going good now! BTW sorry for referring to her as a him up there ^^eek
BenjaminButton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 04:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

hehe it's okay, I do it to her on accident myself. I think it's because I am so used to having only male animals so every animal becomes a he lol

I <3 my Nyxers & Loki!

Old 06-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tishy Tasha
I even caught myself checking the temperature over and over around her cage every time I would pass it lol.
Haha I still do that. I'm so paranoid We all want everything to be PERFECT for our babies!

DexterTheHog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in