Possibly getting a new hedgehog - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By nikki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2015, 03:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Possibly getting a new hedgehog

Hey, all. I had a quick question. A local pet store is going out of business, and they have baby hedgehogs on sale. It's essentially a "suggest a price and we'll give the pet to you" type thing, since they need to be cleared out fast. I've wanted a baby hedgehog forever. I do currently have the sassiest hedgehog known to mankind currently that was given to my by my cousin. I'm technically her third owner. She's perfectly content with me leaving her alone while she's wandering around on the floor and eating meal worms and sometimes coming up to me and licking my leg and then proceeded to bite me cuz she's a butt.

Back to the main question. What risks do I run into by buying a hedgehog from a pet store instead of a breeder? What's the protocol for introducing two hedgehogs to each other?

Also, if I want the hedgehog to be comfortable with me and one of my close friends, I'd need to keep something that smells like us in her cage, correct?

Last question (for now), am I at risk of it picking up my current hedgehog's habits and attitude?

Last edited by Shaney; 04-08-2015 at 03:38 PM.
Shaney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2015, 07:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well, I went to the pet store and for the price they were selling them for (they wouldn't go any lower than $175), I could just go to a local breeder instead. So it was a no go.
Shaney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2015, 09:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

I just wanted to mention that you shouldn't introduce two hedgehogs to each other. Most same sex hedgehogs will either want nothing to do with the other one (best case scenario) or they will fight (worst case). If they are opposite sex they will want to mate and that only takes a second or two. Even if they are not allowed to mate they will become frustrated and being close to a male will cause the female to ovulate each time they are together which is not healthy for her. They won't get anything positive from being introduced and it can cause a lot of problems and even be dangerous. You also will need to quarranteen the new hedgehog for 30 days before allowing them to even be in the same room in different cages.
shetland, Lilysmommy and MomLady like this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in