Some things I should know? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2011, 08:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Some things I should know?

Hello! I'm Logan, and ten months ago, I found out what a hedgehog is (BoyOhBoy. Was I missing out?!). They are so cool, and seem so sweet, and really interesting! I've been working myself to death to get enough money to afford a hedgie, and a cage, and things of sorts. I've had 5 hamsters(Not at once ) And I know, a little about small animals. I've read SOOOO MANY forums, from this website I feel like I'm educated! Lol. Well my question is, what are some things I should know, or need that are needed to have a hedgie? Or even things you wish someone told you!(Please be positive) I have picked a breeder too! No petstore hedgie. I know some of the things such as wheel, and mealies(LOL. I love some of the stories about meal worms! I about died when I read one, about blowing them everywhere! LOL.) and foods, and stuff, that is needed! What are somethings you got your hedgie, that it really enjoyed/enjoys? And really post anything!(Links/Pictures. etc.) I'm so curious! I wanna be over prepared! Lol.

Thanks!

xiwishtoloveyou is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2011, 01:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Some things I should know?

Just read, read, read. When you are not working yourself to death, read all the threads here. Buy a wheel from Larry T., use fleece material for cage liners, be prepared to get pooped on a bunch and clean the poopy wheel and get pooped on again. Have a little savings fund for the vet, just in case. They are alergic (deathly) to tea tree/melaleuca (i gave my oil away just so I wouldn't have it in the house). Have everything ready to go when you bring your little guy/gal home. Did I mention to read?!?
Old 05-25-2011, 07:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

DO you think it'd be a good idea to read? I will read though, and I am. and I have some money for the vet saved up too. I work with 2,3, and 4 year olds, I'm use to bites, and being pooped and peed on! Thanks, so much for the help. Do hedgehogs bite hard btw?

Old 05-25-2011, 08:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

they bite like a needle poking your skin. they will make you go ouch but they dont hurt that much.

darkestz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2011, 05:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkestz
they bite like a needle poking your skin. they will make you go ouch but they dont hurt that much.

I think that depends on the hog and why they're biting? Annabelle has bit me, my bf and our vet. No one was impressed and it HURT like !#@$#@%. Not to discourage you from hedgies but it can be extraordinarily painful

Welcome to HHC
Old 05-25-2011, 07:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Haha . It was a dumb question, all animals bite, and trust me. I still live with my parents, and them telling me, I could get a cell phone, hasn't even made me change my mind! Lol. I think they are so cute!... Too cute, especially the babies! And thanks for the welcome. Do you have a favourite, kind of food for your hedgie, and how old is she?

Old 05-26-2011, 09:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

yeah it really depends on your hedgehog too, back when i was treating him for a wound while I was away he bit me, didnt really hurt much Besides, their main defense is the quills, they bite only if they're agitated too much.

darkestz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2011, 09:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
PJM
Rescue

Like you, I read everything I could before getting a hedgie. That's wonderful!
I found out that there's a difference in knowing it & KNOWING it. I mean, even though you may know what to expect, it's still completely different when you experience it for the first time.
You will question yourself & that's alright.

PJM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2011, 10:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

This topic has tons of info about various cat foods and their protein/fat ratios and all that. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15 I know it can be really confusing when it comes to picking out the right foods! If you like, you can print the lists out and take them with you to your local pet store. I'm not sure where you're located, but most stores seem to carry at least a few of the better brands.

Welcome to HHC, though! This place has so much great information, I've learned so much since I discovered it! It sounds like you are well on your way to becoming a great hedgie owner!

Also, just an FYI about the biting (from someone who knows far too well ): Hedgies have a full set of teeth, and when they bite, it really can hurt! My hedgie will bite most things you put near his mouth - he doesn't bite because he's agitated, just because he's curious. Other than that he's as sweet as can be. So, I pretty much just keep my fingers away from his mouth whenever I can. Annabelle is right - me, my bf, my vet, and MANY of my friends and relatives can confirm it!

cylaura is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2011, 04:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

@PJM: Yeah, I really kinda wanna be like "Oh I read about that! That's normal!" Than being like "SHE JUST LICKED ME, AND IS FOAMING AT THE MOUTH AND LICKING HERSELF. DID I GIVE HER RABIES!? ". Lol. I would do that. I'm someone that would do that, and everyone on the forum would go "Is she stupid? Or just stupid?"

@cylaura: Thanks about the cat foods! I was talking to my breeder, and asked her what would be the best, and she said Authority cat foods(If you've heard of it?). I live in North Carolina! And I'm hoping to be a good hedgie owner, I mean I'm probably the youngest on the forum! But I am trying to be responsible, and as lame as this sounds, I gathered up about 200$ and wrote a list on items the hegdehog needs(Cage, fleeces, food, water food dish wheel etc.) I hope I'm a good owner, and me being so young, I would have plenty of time for my hedgie, I would take it with me to most places, I mean in a carrier, when I could, and hold her, as much as possible, I chose a name for her too, my best friend and I did actually ( Claira Lashay, Weird right?) . But I'm going to keep reading on things on this site, because it never hurts to know a little more, and I swear, I will NEVER EVER EVER get tired of the cute little hedgie fayces.

You guiz has cyoot hedgies too :3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in