Help! bloody prints??? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2011, 07:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help! bloody prints???

So I just changed Moe over to fleece liners. He has a flying saucer wheel and I have been putting paper towels under his wheel. This is the second time I have found bloody foot prints. Its starting to scare me, could it be from the flying saucer?
Kourt101606 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2011, 11:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
PJM
Rescue

Default Re: Help! bloody prints???

The saucer is a pretty safe wheel. From what I understand, sometimes they can run so much, they can cause sores on their feet. Have you been able to find any cuts on his feet?
Wash his wheel good & make sure his feet are clean. Hopefully, if it's just because he's run so much, his feet will toughen up.
If I'm missing something, someone else should be along...

edited to add this link of another thread like yours that's currently going on...

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11272

PJM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2011, 07:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

I had looked at her thread, but his didn't have as much blood, I had bathed him and saw no cuts or anything on his feet.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to lmashbri6983 Send a message via MSN to lmashbri6983 Send a message via Yahoo to lmashbri6983

Here's another thing to think about -
some flying saucers have these ridges that stick up from the wheel - if yours isnt completely smooth, then those ridges could also be causing hedgie to have bloody feet. When I first got my little girl from someone else who didnt want her, she came with a large plastic wheel that was solid but it had little ridges that ran around the whole thing - looks like they were intended for traction. Anyway, after changing Layla to Larry's CSW (which is completely smooth and doesnt have any ridges), Layla's feet have improved. I never saw bloody paws with her, but she's had some cuts and scratches. With her new wheel, her feet look a lot better and are much softer now too.
- another thing that helps is if you see a bloody print or bloody wheel, you can take the wheel out for a night so hedgie's paw can heal up - and they do so extremely quickly. The only problem with this is some hedgies get antsy without their wheel and will try to climb or other silly things, if they can't run.

Best of luck!

lmashbri6983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2011, 11:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmashbri6983
Here's another thing to think about -
some flying saucers have these ridges that stick up from the wheel - if yours isnt completely smooth, then those ridges could also be causing hedgie to have bloody feet. When I first got my little girl from someone else who didnt want her, she came with a large plastic wheel that was solid but it had little ridges that ran around the whole thing - looks like they were intended for traction. Anyway, after changing Layla to Larry's CSW (which is completely smooth and doesnt have any ridges), Layla's feet have improved. I never saw bloody paws with her, but she's had some cuts and scratches. With her new wheel, her feet look a lot better and are much softer now too.
- another thing that helps is if you see a bloody print or bloody wheel, you can take the wheel out for a night so hedgie's paw can heal up - and they do so extremely quickly. The only problem with this is some hedgies get antsy without their wheel and will try to climb or other silly things, if they can't run.

Best of luck!
Thanks! That was what I thought could be causing a problem. I will definitely be getting him another wheel soon
Old 05-31-2011, 10:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to lmashbri6983 Send a message via MSN to lmashbri6983 Send a message via Yahoo to lmashbri6983

Any new wheel yet? Hopefully that little guy's paws are all healed up and happy now!

lmashbri6983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2011, 12:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks, I changed him to an old comfort wheel that lila had come with to make sure it was the flying saucer, and sure enough he has been fine since! Thanks for asking, now I'm having a hard time deciding between a csw and a csbw...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmashbri6983
Any new wheel yet? Hopefully that little guy's paws are all healed up and happy now!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in